• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

Just got my copy of the complete Junior & Sunny archives in the mail. It's awesome. The book came out last winter and I couldn't wait any longer. The book was edited and put together (and 20-page intro written) by Grant Geissman, who has also written "Foul Play!" and several other books about EC Comics and related artists.

I love it -- nearly 400 pages of quality reprint goodness. It has every issue of Junior and Sunny, and also the first issue of Corliss Archer, also by Feldstein. It doesn't have the more obscure titles Hap Hazard or Homer Cobb, but I don't think the interior artwork or stories were by Feldstein, just the covers.

The bio information goes into Feldstein's inspiration for the Junior/Sunny characters, and I was interested to find out that the female character of Deena looks like she is based on Feldstein's high-school sweetheart and wife Claire. In the photos you can really see the similarity in hair style. (Feldstein denies the basis, but says he probably connected them subconsciously.)

I hope this comment doesn't come across as an ad, but I wanted to share with people a really high-quality book with some of the best non-Archie teen material I've read, not to mention first-rate GGA, by an artist (R.I.P.) who is one of the greats, and whose vision shaped my favorite childhood comic reading material, Mad Magazine. The book is that much more cool because it is very difficult to find copies of most issues of Junior or Sunny (and they're usually expensive), and I can't wait to read them without worrying about damaging pages, etc.

Some pics from the book follow.

155218.jpg.a1de99c1926b5120131f59c0230f021e.jpg

155228.jpg.dfb69bf010c71ed9f2d63903d7500b7e.jpg

155229.jpg.af289c3f05b895dbdf2a9ea5b0419a0e.jpg

155230.jpg.eb31690be0ca8dc4fc25df122352aa38.jpg

155231.jpg.ff814fda5c5bb2d6668adb9db2da1fb6.jpg

Jaybird was in the catbird seat tonight! :D

That's fer sure. These GGA covers have been flying off the shelves lately. Curious what Millie #1 will go for Sunday night

+1. I am watching that one myself. :popcorn:

555.00? And 1 day to go....

That's fer sure. These GGA covers have been flying off the shelves lately. Curious what Millie #1 will go for Sunday night

645.00....5 hours left. :popcorn:

Just got my copy of the complete Junior & Sunny archives in the mail. It's awesome. The book came out last winter and I couldn't wait any longer. The book was edited and put together (and 20-page intro written) by Grant Geissman, who has also written "Foul Play!" and several other books about EC Comics and related artists.

I love it -- nearly 400 pages of quality reprint goodness. It has every issue of Junior and Sunny, and also the first issue of Corliss Archer, also by Feldstein. It doesn't have the more obscure titles Hap Hazard or Homer Cobb, but I don't think the interior artwork or stories were by Feldstein, just the covers.

The bio information goes into Feldstein's inspiration for the Junior/Sunny characters, and I was interested to find out that the female character of Deena looks like she is based on Feldstein's high-school sweetheart and wife Claire. In the photos you can really see the similarity in hair style. (Feldstein denies the basis, but says he probably connected them subconsciously.)

I hope this comment doesn't come across as an ad, but I wanted to share with people a really high-quality book with some of the best non-Archie teen material I've read, not to mention first-rate GGA, by an artist (R.I.P.) who is one of the greats, and whose vision shaped my favorite childhood comic reading material, Mad Magazine. The book is that much more cool because it is very difficult to find copies of most issues of Junior or Sunny (and they're usually expensive), and I can't wait to read them without worrying about damaging pages, etc.

Some pics from the book follow.

I love the book as well. I really liked the bio info on Feldstein and the story behind the Fox teen books. The history of teen humor comics is rarely given serious attention so it's nice to see the history of Feldstein's teen work receive such a nice treatment.

The book does not include all of the content from the Junior and Sunny comics but is the complete content by Feldstein. Stories attributed to L.B. Cole and Fred Eng or produced by unknown artists are either not included or included in a smaller size at 4 comic pages per page.

I thought it was nice that the first issue of Corliss Archer was included since that is indeed Feldstein's work. I believe that the contents of Homer Cobb were by Feldstein but since it was commissioned prior to his work for Fox, he did not embellish the sexuality of the female characters like he did on the Fox books.

I think you're correct about Hap Hazard, Felstein's work is just the cover art.

645.00....5 hours left. :popcorn:

I say final hammer around 900.00. This copy just doesn't show up. Remember Patsy Walker #1 on eBay a few months back?

Patsy #1 is definitely a tougher book, but $900 sounds good on the Millie :)

Yea, I'm still waiting for my copy of Patsy 1 to show up for sale :wishluck:

Millie looks malnourished on that cover :insane:

They hadn't quite defined her look yet so she doesn't even look like she did on #2, which was published nearly a full year after #1. I sold a 4.0 Patsy #1 in 2013 for $902. I was both shocked and not that surprised by the results. I knew it would do well but didn't quite expect that. The Crowley copy floated around on ebay around 2006-2008 and I've always regretted not spending the $1,000 or so to buy it.

The Millie currently for sale is my original copy that I bought in 2005. I upgraded the next year and sold that one, ungraded, to fund other purchases. I paid a little over $500 then and sold it for about the same.

I think the reality has set in that some of these Timely teen/career girl #1's are extremely scarce and the prices are starting to reflect that.

They hadn't quite defined her look yet so she doesn't even look like she did on #2, which was published nearly a full year after #1. I sold a 4.0 Patsy #1 in 2013 for $902. I was both shocked and not that surprised by the results. I knew it would do well but didn't quite expect that. The Crowley copy floated around on ebay around 2006-2008 and I've always regretted not spending the $1,000 or so to buy it.

The Millie currently for sale is my original copy that I bought in 2005. I upgraded the next year and sold that one, ungraded, to fund other purchases. I paid a little over $500 then and sold it for about the same.

I think the reality has set in that some of these Timely teen/career girl #1's are extremely scarce and the prices are starting to reflect that.

I agree. I think the off centered cover on "Millie" #1 kept this one from exploding

:cloud9:

Low grade....but it's mine.

51b2398d581f1c8a1b4ea7f29be4af95_zpsb017567f.jpg[/img]

:cloud9:

Low grade....but it's mine.

51b2398d581f1c8a1b4ea7f29be4af95_zpsb017567f.jpg[/img]

Low grade better than no grade :takeit:

I still have dreams of completing my Patsy and Millie sets. Not sure that will ever happen but it would be some undertaking. :wishluck:

My Millie set that I want to complete focuses on pre DeCarlo and DeCarlo. Once Stan Goldberg took over the artwork, I'm no longer interested in the books. I lack about 18 issues at this time.

I have Patsy #1-30 and tons of scattered issues after that but I am not pursuing a complete run.

For Millie, my target books also include Showgirls and A Date with Millie (1st series.) 2nd series is Goldberg. I also collect all the pre DeCarlo appearances in Joker, Gay, Comedy, and the other teen titles. I like the pre DeCarlo stories because they're written like 1940's movie comedies and have a variety of storylines and crossovers, like Jeanie visits Millie, Millie runs into Hedy when a producer tries to put Millie in the movies. Yes, I actually read them!

Once Stan and Dan got the formula down, most stories were always Millie and Chili competing for the same modeling job, Chili tries to undermine Millie's chances but Millie always comes out on top. The artwork was great though!

Final price on the Millie was $645.

Millie 1

Seems kind of low for a 1945 first appearance/issue of such a long running series, but I guess Millie isn't quite as iconic as characters like Betty & Veronica or even Little Dot.

I'm guessing if she looked more like the blonde Millie we know, and the cover was done in more of the GGA style that this and other Timely career girl humor titles became known for by 1947, #1 would sell for a lot more, as this genre is more cover driven than most.