• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

Also, I was very lucky to have picked up 2 pieces of pure DeCarlo Jetta art. Only 4 of the interior stories weren't finished by Fred Eng or another, unidentified artist. I paid a pretty hefty price for these (much, much more than the complete story sold for on HA several years ago).

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1215049

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1213743

Also, I was very lucky to have picked up 2 pieces of pure DeCarlo Jetta art. Only 4 of the interior stories weren't finished by Fred Eng or another, unidentified artist. I paid a pretty hefty price for these (much, much more than the complete story sold for on HA several years ago).

Nice artwork! I remember when HA auctioned some of the artwork. I just couldn't afford to bid on it. In hindsight, I wish that I had found a way.

I think that the rising Jetta prices are impacted not only by their rarity but also the fact that the Craig Yoe book and the other reprints have really drawn attention to the series and increased its desirability substantially. Prior to the reprints, it seemed to be known only to a small group of DeCarlo collectors and Archie fans.

Nice artwork! I remember when HA auctioned some of the artwork. I just couldn't afford to bid on it. In hindsight, I wish that I had found a way.

I think that the rising Jetta prices are impacted not only by their rarity but also the fact that the Craig Yoe book and the other reprints have really drawn attention to the series and increased its desirability substantially. Prior to the reprints, it seemed to be known only to a small group of DeCarlo collectors and Archie fans.

Yeah, I bid but not nearly as strong as I should have. I agree with you about the reprints as it always helps to gain exposure but keep in mind, that book was put out 5 years ago (and the Heritage auction was 3 years ago). I think it has more to do with the DeCarlo market in general, especially material from the 50s and early 60s. It has been an under-appreciated market for years and collectors are starting to realize it. It's not just Jetta that is heating up, it's all DeCarlo covers from the era. Showgirls, My Girl Pearl, Irmas, Humorama pin-ups and Archie. 2c

Yeah, those Lucy the Real Gone Gal is on fire too. #4 was on the bay and closed at some crazy price...

I also have a no. 1. It's the only issue I can recall seeing. St John seems to have put his bet on romance rather than teen humor.

It's kinda funny. For years romance, teen age and even Archies sat unsold for very cheap prices in dealer's boxes. You couldn't give 'em away. It looks like the time has caught up and people realize how hard it is to put together runs of these and how cheap they are in guide. What's next? Classic Illustrated???

I too have a decent copy of Lucy the Real Gone Gal #1 but have hunted for years with no sucess for the rest of the run...

What's next? Classic Illustrated???

I'm ready to sell into that trend

WAUIndiansfc100_zps8ba4c039.jpg

Great book. Has there ever been a Classics Illustrated/Classic Comics thread?

Although it seems like a dead title, every time I take a run at a Classic Comics original ed in an auction, I get outbid and the book goes for serious money.

Although it seems like a dead title, every time I take a run at a Classic Comics original ed in an auction, I get outbid and the book goes for serious money.

Believe me, they were not that easy to find on the newsstand...that's why I only have

three issues in my collection. As I remember, they were usually sold along with 4-COLOR

issues in the 5 & 10 cent stores.

mm

I have lower grade copies of 5 and 6, but I still need a 7.

I think the high bidders were hoping the grades were higher than the listed VG+, as, in fact, they appeared to be. There seems to be some discoloration, though, that might indicate tanning. So, at these prices they were definitely rolling the dice, imo.

You're correct about rolling the dice. I was one of the bidders who took that chance. I have a really nice Jetta #5 but my 6 & 7 were a bit ragged.

My ridiculously expensive #6 & #7 arrived from Italy today, thanks to express mail. The apparent tanning in the photos was thankfully a bit of an illusion.

Here's my complete set with the two new additions.

Jetta05a-2006_zpstshllez1.jpg

Jetta06a-2015_zpsvvbnjtao.jpg

Jetta07a-2015_zpslriyy583.jpg

Hard to believe that these copies of #6 & 7 have been in Italy since the early 1950's.

You're correct about rolling the dice. I was one of the bidders who took that chance. I have a really nice Jetta #5 but my 6 & 7 were a bit ragged. My ridiculously expensive #6 & #7 arrived from Italy today, thanks to express mail. The apparent tanning in the photos was thankfully a bit of an illusion. Hard to believe that these copies of #6 & 7 have been in Italy since the early 1950's.

They look great!