• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2021 at 10:28 PM, wombat said:

I don't know. I'm not thrilled with the trailers. I'm sure I will be in the theater watching this on day one, but my expectations are not very high right now. 

Maybe because Denis Villenueve's last two sci-fi films, while beautifully shot, were both three hour snooze fests.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:02 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe because Denis Villenueve's last two sci-fi films, while beautifully shot, were both three hour snooze fests.

Seriously?

Blade Runner 2049 was better than it had any right to be - an actual worthy successor to the first film.

And Arrival was a straight-up masterpiece - there's a reason it scored 8 Oscar noms (including Best Picture, Director, and Adapted Screenplay) and Amy Adams deserved the Oscar for Best Actress for it.

My two favorite films from 2016 were Arrival and Hell or High Water - and it's not even close. Rogue One would be a distant third.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 8/14/2021 at 7:22 PM, D84 said:

She'll be the protagonist of the story? So I guess they're telling the book to :censored: off.

fast_escalated.gif.0418269ab85a0baa091f87e2a34206e8.gif

:baiting:

Let's see that first film and go from there. He may be pointing to Dune Messiah. Chani takes on a bigger role as the Bene Gesserit attempt to tamper with her having Paul's children.

:foryou:

On 8/16/2021 at 6:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

fast_escalated.gif.0418269ab85a0baa091f87e2a34206e8.gif

:baiting:

Let's see that first film and go from there. He may be pointing to Dune Messiah. Chani takes on a bigger role as the Bene Gesserit attempt to tamper with her having Paul's children.

:foryou:

Sorry, but I have little to no faith that WB won't find a way to :censored: the bed.

They are masters at it.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:33 AM, D84 said:

Sorry, but I have little to no faith that WB won't find a way to :censored: the bed.

They are masters at it.

Okay. I'll give you that as it is reality!

:(

Though I hold out hope this will be another franchise to break that mold.

:wishluck:

On 8/16/2021 at 6:31 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Seriously?

Blade Runner 2049 was better than it had any right to be - an actual worthy successor to the first film.

And Arrival was a straight-up masterpiece - there's a reason it scored 8 Oscar noms (including Best Picture, Director, and Adapted Screenplay) and Amy Adams deserved the Oscar for Best Actress for it.

My two favorite films from 2016 were Arrival and Hell or High Water - and it's not even close. Rogue One would be a distant third.

I didn't really say they were bad, just really long and slow. Putting on either of those movies past 10 pm works better than NyQuil for me. Dune 3.0 looks like another beautiful but long and slow sci-fi movie from Villenueve.

I did like Arrival (if watched in the middle of the day) but I wasn't sure what the point of Blade Runner 2049 was other than to confuse people even more than Scott's many director cuts have already.

Now, with Dune’s October 2021 release on the horizon and fan expectations quite high, Brolin has made his opinions of the final product abundantly clear: he loves it. In fact, in a recent interview with ACE Universe (via Comicbook.com), Brolin explained his position on the film, referring to it as a “cinematic masterpiece” and invoking his time on the 2008 Best Picture winner No Country For Old Men. Read what Brolin said about Dune below:

"They screened the movie for us when it was finally done. And I was so blown away. I mean, I can say, I think I can safely say it's a masterpiece. It truly is a cinematic masterpiece, what he was able to do and hold all those characters and give all those characters their time and day but then also hold the story on top of that, and do justice to the story. And the lighting, which was done by Greg Fraser, who I ended up doing a book with, we just finished our book which is his photographs and my writing, that's going to come out around the time that Dune comes out, all this stuff. It just was one of those moments where it all comes together — No Country [For Old Men] was kind of like that, to where it was like ‘Did you have the feeling that something was going to be great?’ and you're like, ‘No, I'm having a good time. I love doing this, but you don't know until you see it how great it's going to be.' "

Edited by Bosco685

Third movie would be Dune: Messiah

When Dune adaptations were being made for television in the early 2000s, the Dune mini-series was followed by a mini-series that combined adaptations of both Dune Messiah and the third book in the series, Children of Dune.

Speaking with CBC’s Radio Canada, Villeneuve said:

"There is Dune’s second book, The Messiah of Dune, which could make an extraordinary film. I always saw that there could be a trilogy; after that, we’ll see. It’s years of work; I can’t think of going further than that.”

On 8/15/2021 at 11:02 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Let’s see, I wasn’t a fan of Arrival but it still came in under two hours. But Blade Runner 2049 was great at a little over two and half hours. Sicario was fantastic. Besides, didn’t you say that Dune would save the movie theater industry?

I enjoyed Timothee Chalamet in the King recently. It was a pretty good period flick about Henry V, a little long but I had no problem with his acting.

Looking forward to watching this attempt at Dune on streaming at some point. I was a big fan of the books and have re-read them many times.