• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

Despite all reviews being embargoed until the film’s world premiere on Friday night — where stars Timothée Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson and Javier Bardem are all set to walk the red carpet — many of those lucky enough to score a seat for the film’s 8:15 a.m. debut press screening could be found raving up and down the Lido throughout the morning. Meanwhile, any tidbits of information about the movie to leak from the screening online were being lapped up on social media among fans desperate to know whether the film had lived up to epic expectations.

“Sometimes you just know when you’ve seen an all-time great,” tweeted film writer Awais Irfan. “And #Dune is, to me, an all-time great. Denis Villeneuve’s masterpiece is a sweeping symphony of spectacle, sound, and storytelling. A cinematic odyssey that is every bit as visceral as it is epic.”

“Jaw-dropping gorgeous to watch, rousing to experience,” tweeted writer Lorenzo Ciorcalo. “It pumps and pumps and pumps that spice in your veins. Ferguson is commanding, intense as usual. Chalamet gives his best in such a subdued action role. Geometric elegance in chaos.”

Meanwhile, Marvin Wiechart of Germany’s Yorck Kinogruppe cinema chain said the film was “out-of-this-world in every sense of the word and a theatrical experience unlike any other.” He added that watching the film in Venice felt like it was “like witnessing history, this is one of the few films that are bound to shape the decade in cinema.”

I had a feeling the review embargo was still in place, which is why I took those Venice Festival screenshots. Assuming though very positive they will get pulled down.

As reported by Variety, despite these mixed reviews, Dune received a 6-minute standing ovation at its premiere in Venice. Large crowds gathered outside the Sala Grande theater as Warner Bros. premiered Dune at the 78th annual Venice Film Festival. Upon the film's completion, the audience treated the cast and director to the longest standing ovation given at this year's Venice Film Festival so far.

Dune's star-studded premiere was a dazzling event, reminiscent of pre-pandemic premieres. The standing ovation at the end illustrates that the audience was quite receptive to the scale of the film, regardless of early reviews. The reaction is encouraging, considering that Villeneuve stated Dune is only a taste of what's to come due to his plans for a sequel. While promises of an even bigger, more gripping film is alluring, this promise largely depends on the reception to the first film. Dune must be successful enough get the official greenlight for a sequel. So far, the mixed reviews and standing ovation illustrate the film's potential, but the question remains if it will be enough.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:33 AM, Dr. Dank said:

Those quotes make me cringe and realize just how far and deluded the film industry is

It's like the first 10 reviews of every film on IMDB.   The film is better than a cure for cancer.    But in this case we do have to wait for the Joe Public response to get a the real measure.  

On 9/3/2021 at 8:22 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

You mean Dennis Villanueve's Frank Herbert's Dune is a massive borefest? Why am I not surprised?

Yes, thats what all those reviews just said. You are spot on.

But didn’t you say that Dune would save the movie theater industry? I’m pretty sure that was you.