• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2016 ..... Results are in

176 posts in this topic

This was my first year participating and I really enjoyed the process – from listing to voting. I know I received a few votes from those that posted who they voted for. Anxious to see how my pieces fared tonight (Firewall no likey CAF). Thanks to Bill and Brian for putting this on.

First, Brian & Bill, thanks for doing this. Always a lot of fun to see everyone's great art finds in one place.

Second, I WON! - or, my Flash/Superman race homage by Darwyn Cooke did, for Best Commission piece. I'm happy other people like the piece as much as I do.

Thanks to everyone who participated, really fun to see so many great pieces. Congratulations to all!!!!!!!

Best Of Categories Voting Results

Published/Unpublished: Covers

http://www.comicartfans.com/BestOfResultsList.asp?BOId=2

Published: Splash Pages, Pinups

http://www.comicartfans.com/BestOfResultsList.asp?BOId=7

Published: Interior Panel Pages

http://www.comicartfans.com/BestOfResultsList.asp?BOId=3

Published: Strip Art

http://www.comicartfans.com/BestOfResultsList.asp?BOId=6

Published/Unpublished: Commissions

http://www.comicartfans.com/BestOfResultsList.asp?BOId=8

Unpublished: Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches

http://www.comicartfans.com/BestOfResultsList.asp?BOId=4

Unpublished/Published: Other

http://www.comicartfans.com/BestOfResultsList.asp?BOId=5

I'd also like to thank Brian & Bill for a fun, inspiring and interesting competition :applause:

Furthermore, I'm happy for the 13 votes given to my new Garfield strip - thanks! :cloud9:

It was nice to see my covers getting a few votes too - getting votes in the published covers category seems like quite a different ballgame than getting votes in the comic strip category ;)

Best,

Rune

This is my second year of participating and I echo the thanks to Brian, Bill and CAF for allowing a great way to highlight art so that you can see what art you might have missed during the year, including art and artists you are not as familiar with.

First, Brian & Bill, thanks for doing this. Always a lot of fun to see everyone's great art finds in one place.

Second, I WON! - or, my Flash/Superman race homage by Darwyn Cooke did, for Best Commission piece. I'm happy other people like the piece as much as I do.

that piece is all sorts of awesome

Well, it turns out that I will never be Batman. Why you ask? It turns out that I'm not very observant. I missed my biggest vote getter and someone had to point it out to me (thanks, Guilllaume). Yep, I got votes for 4 out of 5 pieces - an all time high! :)

The corrected results!

Category........Votes Piece

Covers:..............3....Plutona by Emi Lenox

Pin-ups:.............2....Katy Keene Fashion Book Magazine 22 page 16 - Bill Woggon (pencils) and Cassie Bill (inks)

Commissions...11....Nick Pitarra vs. Supergirl by Nick Pitarra (12th)

Con Sketches:.13....40 for 60 Sketchbook (Gallery) (6th)

The 40 for 60 Sketchbook is special because Kathy did it all by herself over three years without my knowing. Quite a birthday present.

Big thanks to Brian and Bill for the fun.

First, big thanks to Brian, Bill and CAF. And thanks to everyone who participated.

Like Jade Giant, this was my first year too and it was fun to see everyone’s favorites for 2016. I bought my first post-2000 comic art in Dec 2015 and I’ve gone all-modern ever since. I’m happy & surprised to see that some of my pages got a few votes when paired against the many excellent, prestige offerings. To everyone who voted for my pieces, thanks to both of you! ;)

Doc Joe: If you haven’t already set to flames, I have some cereal boxes I might be willing to trade for those covers. Some of ‘em even still have cereal flakes leftover, so you can see that this is a really good deal for you. Act now, and I can even throw in a spoon…its plastic and used, but itsa really good one despite all the cracks. :insane:

Here's my votes, with a few comments from my secret ballot scratchpad:

Covers:

1. K, Kyle All Star Batman #1 Variant Cover - Batman & Robin VS. Rogues Gallery

2. Beaumont, Charles The Maxx: Maxximized #29. Check the technique!

3. Shaffer, Joe Frank Brunner Fear 16 cover 1973

4. Radisich, Jeremy Daredevil #125 cover by Gil Kane

5. G, Andreas Team Titans Annual #1 In The Mind of Chimera

Honorable Mention:

Killack, Ronan Romita, Sr., John - Amazing Spider-Man, issue 125

Splash:

1. Simmons, Jared Secrets of the Batcave. Such a unique stand-out schematic with so many cool details!

2. Simmons, Jared Marvel Treasury Edition #6 Dr. Strange. THE definitive Dr. Strange piece.

3. Singh, Jeff Bissette/Tottleben Swamp Thing Splash. Great piece that stands on its own, independent of Moore’s classic story. Very nice portrayal of the intimacy, and the tension, between Swampy and Abby. Swampy is facing away and not in physical contact with Abby while he's immersed in his own obsessive, brooding contemplation.

4. Peters, David Martha Washington, Secret Service by Dave Gibbons

5. Bedwick, Filmore W Captain Marvel #57, page 1. Always liked Broderick’s work. Great to see one of his splash pages from this period.

Honorable Mention:

Katradis, Nick Man-Thing #2, Page #1 Splash. Very good Mooney-Wiacek combo.

Interior Panel Pages:

1. ephiny22, ~ Batwoman #0, p. 20 (end page) - J.H. Williams III. Dramatic climax and Williams' illustrations could be animated into a brilliant silent movie.

2. Rauseo, Ivan Jim Starlin - Warlock #10 pages 17 & 18. Peak Starlin work, great content.

3. Peck, Brian Avengers #58 page 12. George Klein inks look so great on John Buscema's pencils.

4. Kosenkranius , Hans J. Kirby - F.F. #46 p.11. Is your dog getting enough iron in it's diet? Joe Sinnott and the Inhumans arrive to herald the World's Greatest Comic Magazine entering it's prime period. Kirby's creative genius is hitting new peaks right here. And Lockjaw chews on an I-Beam!

5. ephiny22, ~ Detective Comics #860, p. 18 & 19 (DPS) featuring Batwoman - J.H. Williams III. Like stepping into a classic silent movie.

Honorable Mentions (Lotsa great stuff here!):

• Bobby, Ricky Amazing Spider-Man #68 - pg 18 - Romita Sr and Jim Mooney

• Bella, James Strangers in Paradise v3 #20 page 10

• D, Mike X-men #109 page 15 BYRNE and AUSTIN 1st app of Weapon Alpha/Vindicator/Guardian

• Diaz, Michael Michael Golden - Marvel Fanfare (issue 1, page 5). I can still remember the smell of the paper when this book was first released.

• Ferret, Rabid Don Rosa's 2nd story ~ "Nobody's Business", Page 1 ~ Uncle Scrooge in the Money Bin(1987). Great story behind this pick-up. I was very tempted to make a run at this page, but glad I did not interfere with destiny.

• Frey, Robert Marvel Team Up 59 page 27. A favorite page from this Byrne two-part story. Great inks by Dave Hunt!

• LEGION, MY NAME IS G. I. Combat #139 pg.11 Heath/Kubert

Strip Art:

1. Halperin, James Flash Gordon. Such an amazing work of art.

2. Jim Warden December 22, 1961 Pogo Daily by Walt Kelly. Great "Deck the Halls with Boston Charlie" strip.

3. V., N. Krazy Kat Sunday (10.29.1922)

4. Portillo, P. WILL EISNER: THE SPIRIT "Ward Healy" (March 28, 1948)

5. Rothschild, Benno Tom Grindberg Tarzan

Honorable Mentions (another loaded category):

• Land, Gary Jack Burnley Batman Sunday 2/17/46

• B, Comicart Prince Valiant #340 - Partial Sunday Comic Strip dated 15 August 1943

• V, Malvin Bloom County by Berkeley Breathed - Opus & Milo gets a call from Walter Mondale!

• Howland, Mark Carol Day 135 by David Wright

Commissions:

1. Johnson, Alex Nick Pitarra vs. Supergirl by Nick Pitarra

2. Rothschild, Benno Ian Bertram commission.

3. Lu, Felix ALIENS: The Official Marvel Movie Adaptation (Chris Mooneyham). How do I reserve my copy of the complete illustrated adaptation by Mooneyham?

4. Avila, Michael Darwyn Cooke Flash/Superman race homage

5. Bailey, John Silver Surfer/ Galactus

Honorable Mentions:

• Brümmel, Thorsten Mike Perkins - Asterix & Obelix

• Yanko, Mark Chinese mermaid

Sketch Covers/Con Sketches:

1. Johnson, Alex 40 for 60 Sketchbook. The quality of the sketches is only exceeded by the caring and thoughtfulness that went into preparing this amazing project.

2. Bella, James DK3 Francine and Katchoo by Terry Moore. Great characters, great concept!

3. V, Malvin David Mazzucchelli Vintage Batman Year One sketch!

4. D, Octavio Flash Jam by Jim Cheung. It's great that someone turned Jim Cheung loose on the prolific "Flash" material!

5. Anderson, Phillip Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Black Canary

Other:

1. L, Rob Schultz, Mark -- Jack Tenric and Hannah Dundee prelim. An amazing Schultz piece. His prelims are such fully-conceived pieces. And the XT Artist Edition is one of the best ever.

2. Park, Gene George Herriman - Krazy Kat Color Presentation Drawing (c. 1925)

3. Doyle, Terry PATTON (1970) movie poster painting

4. Frey, Robert Barry Windsor-Smith Britannia

5. Warden, Jim "For the Children" by Walt Kelly

Honorable Mentions (An unbelievably loaded category):

• Annamanthadoo, Miki Untitled by Michael Whelan

• Brümmel, Thorsten Hergé - Tintin & Milou

• Kosenkranius , Hans D. Cooke - New Frontier

• Cogan, John Darwyn Cooke Selina's Big Score Cast of Characters Illustration

• Doyle, Terry RASPUTIN - THE MAD MONK (1966) vintage Hammer Horror movie poster painting

• Frey, Robert Barry Windsor-Smith Fire

• Espinoza, John Darth Vader and Son - "Cookie Jar"