• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2016 ..... Results are in

176 posts in this topic

A quiet year for me, I could only muster four entries, all panel pages. There's a Colan Dr Strange 1/2 splash from the original run which is a TOTAL ACID FREAKOUT, a Windsor-Smith Conan 1/2 splash from the original run which REEKS WITH THE STINK OF SORCERY, and a Kirby Kamandi 1/2 splash from the original run which THROBS WITH RAW POWER.

And then there is my out-of-left-field favorite: a 22 panel story complete in one page, drawn close to print size, by Mr. Steven Clay Wilson. I'm not much of an underground guy, but the (unusual for him) clear line, and the utterly relaxed pace of his cannibal picaresque have simply enchanted me. Adults only...

http://cafurl.com?i=21756

I have only one entry for the Best of 2016, but it's a white whale I've been chasing for 15 years and was thrilled to finally get:)

Best of Interior Panel Pages:

Don Rosa's 2nd story ~ "Nobody's Business"(1987), Page 1 ~ Uncle Scrooge in the Money Bin!

http://www.comicartfans.com/LowryPiece.asp?Piece=8502

Hope everyone has a great 2017!

-j

I put up 3 pieces this year.

I have zero interest in the "contest" results part, but for the participation in the community, and in the hopes that some folks unfamiliar with the artists will see them and dig further into searches for their artwork on everyone else's art on CAF.

I stepped outside my usual practice of simply listing the sizes and madium, and included some thoughts with each this year.

I know I've been exposed to a couple artists via the Best Of voting in past years.

But then I'm a CAF weirdo, and sometimes I just brows the "new" art posted to CAF, rather than spending time seeking specific interests.

I never followed the most viewed link that a lot of folks used to swear by. I just randomly go to view everything new for the last 24 hours by image view, and scroll and scroll whenever I have down time during the day. Looking at whatever jumps out at me. I've made friends with collectors that way as well, when leaving comments on things I've stumbled across. I digress.

I went into the year planning on buying nothing, so having a dozen pieces added to CAF this year was unintentional. Next year, though.... we'll see if I can get back to posting nothing! :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/MyLowry.asp?GSub=432

I have zero interest in the "contest" results part, but for the participation in the community, and in the hopes that some folks unfamiliar with the artists will see them and dig further into searches for their artwork on everyone else's art on CAF.

This is my perspective as well. I plan to view every piece of every Lowry in the hopes I will discover some new artists and collections for review. Really looking forward to it.

2016 is only my third year collecting original art. Please take a look at my favorite pieces:

- Batman: Dark Knight III - Master Race #3 page 19 - Interior Page

- Dark Knight Batman and Robin by Joe Giella, at 88 years old - Sketch Cover

- DK3 Francine and Katchoo by Terry Moore - Sketch Cover

- Strangers in Paradise v3 #20 page 10 - Interior Page

- Superman by Greg Hildebrandt - Sketch Cover

My Best of 2016 Lowry Submissions

James

Edited by comix4sale

This is my perspective as well. I plan to view every piece of every Lowry in the hopes I will discover some new artists and collections for review. Really looking forward to it.

The main reason I promote the Best of is to get people to post their favorite pieces of the previous year. So others can see what they might have missed. The CAF has gotten so big its easy to miss alot of the great artwork out there. Best of also showcases the more obscure artists or collectors tastes.

Just post the 5 pieces you really like that your acquired during the year, don't worry if they are popular or not. Its all about sharing your addiction with others.

Edited by Brian Peck

The main reason I promote the Best of is to get people to post their favorite pieces of the previous year. So others can see what they might have missed. The CAF has gotten so big its easy to miss alot of the great artwork out there. Best of also showcases the more obscure artists or collectors tastes.

Just post the 5 pieces you really like that your acquired during the year, don't worry if they are popular or not. Its all about sharing your addition with others.

That's what I love about the Best of, between dealer posts and a great deal of cheese cake, it's easy to miss some of these amazing pieces, so I appreciate getting to see them all posted together where they can truly be appreciated.

I put one piece in so far (probably that will be it but not sure yet) - it has something like 250 views and no comments. So what, eff' all y'all! I did a happy dance when I bought it and I love it more than JoJo the Monkey Boy loves his brand new toy. :sumo:

Edited by Bird

You have until Saturday at midnight to enter your 5 pieces for Best of 2016.

Here are the rules and information on Best of 2016. This year the Unpublished Convention Sketches will be expanded to include Sketch Covers.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin.

Best of 2016 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Published Interior Panel pages

Published Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)

Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches

Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

Posting Entries Begins: Saturday January 7th

Posting Ends: Jan 15 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisions of 2016.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2016 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisions of 2016.

This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2016 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp

2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile

3) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences

4) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)

5) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New

Artwork' link.

6) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2016"

7) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it applies)

8) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Published Interior Panel pages

Published Strip Art

Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)

Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)

Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

9) Select Active

Voting starts Monday January 16th (Monday)

Voting end January 22th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

Edited by Brian Peck

2016 is only my third year collecting original art. Please take a look at my favorite pieces:

James

Really fun pieces that I missed on CAF! Thanks for sharing!

James

Really fun pieces that I missed on CAF! Thanks for sharing!

I agree. I'd forgotten how much I love Terry Moore's work.

This past year was a pretty good year for me- I was able to get a few pieces from one of my favorite artists and i got married! Here is what was i able to acquire:

http://cafurl.com?i=7408

1- Britannia- Barry Windsor Smith frontspiece for the Gorblimey Press Catalog

2- Fire Barry Windsor Smith- From the Sibyla Portfolio

3- X-Men 115 Alternate Cover (Cyclops) Barry Windsor Smith

4- Captain America 197 page 14 Jack Kirby/Frank Giacoia- Jack's take on Rollerball

5- Marvel Team Up 59 page 27 John Byrne/Dave Hunt- From my favorite Team Up arc featuring Yellowjacket and the Wasp.

Robert Frey

Edited by robert frey