• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

Agreed. Peekthrough alone means nothing. I never said peekthrough meant a book is pressed. Did anybody else ?

Sure, you did. lol

Do you read your own posts?

Regarding the question if these books have been pressed. IMO, it's very apparent the answer is yes. Anybody remember the Cole Shave discussions ? Here is a template that was published during that discussion showing the format of those uber pressed books. Though a bit more 'tempered' this new pedigree displays the same characteristics. Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

------------------------------

The only thing going on here is whether Roy gets the last word in. Can't let that happen. HaHa.

I don't need to have the last word. I just always have to be right. Get it straight, Bob!

;)

Agreed. Peekthrough alone means nothing. I never said peekthrough meant a book is pressed. Did anybody else ?

Sure, you did. lol

Do you read your own posts?

Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

The problem lately with having a dialog with you Roy is that you interpret someone's comments to mean something totally different. In my statement I specifically mention the upper right corner. I don't know how to describe this upper right corner phenom, where the upper right corner of the cover does not line up with pages, giving an appearance of the pages fanning out, like a deck of cards. I think it has something to do with the overhang being pressed flat but I don't really know. Anyway, I did not mean a whole right side peekthrough, which I agree, can be seen on unpressed books.

Again, I repeat, someone asked if these books were pressed. I gave my opinion, explicitly stating 'IMO' they were pressed. I'm sorry if I didn't check in with you first. Your constant badgering to be 'right' is getting tedious and boring.Your use of emoticons is also disrespectful. Let's make a deal, I won't comment on your opinions and don't comment on mine.

Edited by bomber-bob

The problem lately with having a dialog with you Roy is that you interpret someone's comments to mean something totally different. In my statement I specifically mention the upper right corner. I don't know how to describe this upper right corner phenom, where the upper right corner of the cover does not line up with pages, giving an appearance of the pages fanning out, like a deck of cards. I think it has something to do with the overhang being pressed flat but I don't really know. Anyway, I did not mean a whole right side peekthrough, which I agree, can be seen on unpressed books.

Again, I repeat, someone asked if these books were pressed. I gave my opinion, explicitly stating 'IMO' they were pressed. I'm sorry if I didn't check in with you first. Your constant badgering to be 'right' is getting tedious and boring.Your use of emoticons is also disrespectful. Let's make a deal, I won't comment on your opinions and don't comment on mine.

My understanding of 'peekthrough' is exactly what you call 'fanning of the pages'

It's the inside pages peeking past the cover on the right edge and it happens to varying degrees.

So when you say 'the pages are fanning so IMO the book was pressed' that is no different than someone else saying 'the peekthrough pages are a 'tell' that the book is pressed"

And I've been maintaining all along that fanned / peekthrough / pages showing on the right side - WHATEVER you want to call it are not necessarily an indication of pressing.

And is it possible that you are misunderstanding me as well?

My emoticons were meant to lighten the book, not bring you down. Sorry if you were offended.

My understanding of 'peekthrough' is exactly what you call 'fanning of the pages'

It's the inside pages peeking past the cover on the right edge and it happens to varying degrees.

So when you say 'the pages are fanning so IMO the book was pressed' that is no different than someone else saying 'the peekthrough pages are a 'tell' that the book is pressed"

And I've been maintaining all along that fanned / peekthrough / pages showing on the right side - WHATEVER you want to call it are not necessarily an indication of pressing.

And is it possible that you are misunderstanding me as well?

My emoticons were meant to lighten the book, not bring you down. Sorry if you were offended.

Roy, regarding the emoticon comment, yes I thought posting a HaHa when quoting me was disrespectful = you are laughing at me. No problem, thanks for the Sorry.

Now regarding my fanning reference, you are basically telling me what I meant, saying my statement equates to peekthrough. Whatever, that's not what I meant. I am talking about that upper right corner situation, where the corner of the cover does not align with the pages. For future reference, what can we call this to distinguish it from peekthrough ? Again, I agree, peekthrough alone does not mean pressing. However, combine it with that upper corner thing and a sharp, stiff overhang, and, IMO, I think it's pressed. IMO, okay ? You need to acknowledge that when someone says 'IMO' he is saying it is not a fact. Big difference. Falsely stating something as 'fact' is wrong and should be argued. Not allowing someone to have an opinion is also wrong. Please Roy, ease up, just a tad, PLEASE.

I wonder if this pedigree is getting pressed prior to grading.

Why would you wonder that?

+1

And why would you not fully expect that? hm

After all, this is now 2016 and almost going into 2017. :gossip:

It's not like it's the year 2000 in the days of wine and roses and virgin like sweet innocence where this collecting world of ours was supposedly being populated with untouched properly graded books. :devil:doh!

so I should expect 100% of this collection to be pressed, just the higher graded stuff, or just books that need it. I'm thinking that the has to be books that won't benefit and would be otherwise a waste of time and money to do so. Kinda counter productive, but hey pressem all.

You should expect every book that is getting sold in a slab to have been pressed. There's no reason not to.

Sad to say, but it definitely would appear that you are correct in your assessment here. :(

It would seem that grading at the higher end of the condition spectrum has basically evolved devolved from the overall aesthetic appearance of a book to a minute technical search for near invisible spine ticks and creases on a book. No surprise here as this is pretty much what I had expected when pressing first came to light more than a decade ago.

After all, this is a business and as such, it's really all about the dollar signs. As I said way back then, it's all part of the business model and generating additional streams of revenues right from the get go. And as such, applying the hammer to near invisible additional revenue generating defects while ignoring or applying the feather to the fugly additional revenue inhibiting defects would be the wave of the future. :screwy::frustrated:

Interesting to note that a collector friend of mine's who submits to CGC on a regular basis now has his pre-screen for pressing books coming in at an astounding rate of almost 70% requiring some form of pressing. And this is for somebody who is very meticulous and knows how to take care of their books. Like he said, pressing is now unfortunately all part of the grading game. :(:censored:

So, if you are a collector hoping to sell a high end book, you are probably doing serious damage to your pocket book if you don't at least have it pre-screen for pressing prior to having it graded. And especially nowadays when CGC's grading team is headed by somebody who's real claim to fame is all about pressing. Maybe it's true then like what one of the CGC employees had stated recently: "We'll gladly take your money. But you won't like the results." hm

My bad.....maybe that was on another subject matter entirely. doh!lol

Aahhh....the days of wine and roses and virgin like sweet innocence just seemed so much nicer and warmer :cloud9: , although definitely a lot less lucrative than the almost seemingly dog eat dog collecting world of today. :devil:

You should expect every book that is getting sold in a slab to have been pressed. There's no reason not to.

Sad to say, but it definitely would appear that you are correct in your assessment here. :(

Feels a lot like a participation award for the comic hobby.

nifo.jpg

North Coast Nostalgia ? ................ yeah, an Auction house's cut could fund quite a few cash advances for more consignments.....their share could double or triple during the time a large collection of books made it through the pressing pipeline. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You're too quick :D

The one in the Cleveland area?

16 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Thread died. I've seen a few comments where people were very pleased with the quality of the books once in-hand. Any observations on how they're performing in the market?

The iron man 55 9.8 http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp&id=1165442 

Did quite well, finished well above gpa. I believe there are more up for bids on the current comiclink auction as well 

20 minutes ago, BWadeS said:

I read CGC's latest newsletter and took a look at the list of pedigrees recognized by CGC. I did not see the John G. Fantuccio pedigree listed. Anyone know why?

I too haven't a clue as to Fantuccio's long suit aside from his passion for comics. Who is/was this Italian stallion? hm

I bought his copy of Avengers #66 a little over a year ago. Sweet copy too. Just wondered why CGC doesn't have this pedigree listed with the other recognized pedigrees. :/

7 minutes ago, BWadeS said:

I bought his copy of Avengers #66 a little over a year ago. Sweet copy too. Just wondered why CGC doesn't have this pedigree listed with the other recognized pedigrees. :/

Because they screwed up and haven't added it.