• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

The ASM #1 is not even close to the template image.

As has been said many times before, this is a common trait for Silver Age Marvels.

It's not as pronounced as the template, but it's there.

And it's not there just on this one comic from the pedigree, but on a slew of them. To deny that it's the result of pressing is to have one's head buried in the sand.

The comics are still gorgeous, with uniformly white pages and nice looking cover registration and colors. It'll be cool to see more of the collection come to market.

Agreed. Great colors and freshness to them.

The ASM #1 is not even close to the template image.

As has been said many times before, this is a common trait for Silver Age Marvels.

It's not as pronounced as the template, but it's there.

Yep, it's still there. It's there and has been there on Marvels forever.

To deny that it's the result of pressing is to have one's head buried in the sand.

Marvel covers shrink across the width and expand along the longitudinal whether they are pressed or not. It's where the term 'Marvel overhang' comes from. Before there was ever a pressed book there was still Marvel overhang.

Making pressing a boogeyman when it's something that has existed before pressing was mainstream is just incitement and pointless.

I don`t even understand why Roy feels compelled to suppress any conjecture that the books might be pressed. Besides the fact that they`re not his books, it`s not like knowledge that a book has been pressed affects the price negatively in any way. That battle was lost a long time ago.

It's far, far less common than you imply. You're being disingenuous in your protection of the practice of pressing.

What do I have to protect about pressing? It's not like it's a secret. :makepoint:

I just dislike it when everything is blamed on something when in actuality it's a guess at best.

I don`t even understand why Roy feels compelled to suppress any conjecture that the books might be pressed. Besides the fact that they`re not his books, it`s not like knowledge that a book has been pressed affects the price negatively in any way. That battle was lost a long time ago.

Yep. That ship has sailed.

Probably for the same reason people try to make a boogeyman out of something when it isn't?

I'm not suppressing that the books might be pressed. I just don't like when people state that a book was damaged by pressing when they have no idea and are just guessing.

Was this book pressed? The cover is way too short for the book. You can trust me when I tell you it wasn't trimmed.

IMG-20150409-02020.jpg

IMG-20150409-02021.jpg

Haven't personally had any books pressed but I don't feel nearly as strongly about it as some here. Know it's not exactly the same but to sandwich a book in mylar with a board and then sometimes over tightly pack a long box could certainly look like pressing. Certainly caused post production by human intervention. My take is that CGC does a pretty good job of distinguishing between restoration and primping.

Haven't personally had any books pressed but I don't feel nearly as strongly about it as some here. Know it's not exactly the same but to sandwich a book in mylar with a board and then sometimes over tightly pack a long box could certainly look like pressing. Certainly caused post production by human intervention. My take is that CGC does a pretty good job of distinguishing between restoration and primping.

not even remotely close to the same.

It would be interesting to grab some of the grader's notes for these. If they were pressed you wouldn't see many instances of creasing. The #1 for instance is a 9.0 that has the appearance of a 9.2/9.4. Why? Often (not all the time of course), when I get grader's notes for books that appear nicer than the grade its because there are light bends or creases (doesn't lay flat) not easily visible in a scan etc. To me they do not look pressed as there are more signs missing than are present.

Edited by comicquant

Yes, it's been said many times before, but nearly always by you ! Look, nobody is knocking the books because they are pressed. Somebody asked if these were pressed and I gave my opinion. I have no idea why you are getting so defensive about the possibility the books were pressed. What's the big deal ? (shrug)

Yes, it's been said many times before, but nearly always by you !

Is that supposed to mean that pages don't change shape and normally fan out on SA Marvels or are you just trying to discredit me with a personal attack? :D

Look, nobody is knocking the books because they are pressed. Somebody asked if these were pressed and I gave my opinion.

Is that all you did? lol This is your quote below in the spoiler tags:

You compared these books to the Cole Shave books when in fact the ASM #10 9.8 example you posted is nowhere close to the template you posted.

Regarding the question if these books have been pressed. IMO, it's very apparent the answer is yes. Anybody remember the Cole Shave discussions ? Here is a template that was published during that discussion showing the format of those uber pressed books. Though a bit more 'tempered' this new pedigree displays the same characteristics. Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

JIM96facejob_zps0dcf712b.png

1197716002.jpg

1eff8ec8-cda1-4df8-9760-33281494b2dd.jpg

I have no idea why you are getting so defensive about the possibility the books were pressed. What's the big deal ? (shrug)

Are you following the conversation? Why would I be defensive about books being pressed? doh! Like I said, pressing is as common as cheerios.

I'm merely pointing out how those who don't like pressing keep pointing at characteristics about the books calling them damage when it's just conjecture.

When I crack books out that look way better than their assigned grade, there are usually flaws evident that were hidden by the outer well and inner well, or in the interior of the book. Sometimes a carppy press job is hidden within.

It would be interesting to grab some of the grader's notes for these. If they were pressed you wouldn't see many instances of creasing. The #1 for instance is a 9.0 that has the appearance of a 9.2/9.4. Why? Often (not all the time of course), when I get grader's notes for books that appear nicer than the grade its because there are light bends or creases (doesn't lay flat) not easily visible in a scan etc. To me they do not look pressed as there are more signs missing than are present.

Regarding the question if these books have been pressed. IMO, it's very apparent the answer is yes. Anybody remember the Cole Shave discussions ? Here is a template that was published during that discussion showing the format of those uber pressed books. Though a bit more 'tempered' this new pedigree displays the same characteristics. Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

It's an unbelievably gorgeous book, but I believe Bob is correct in his observation of the pressings:

RAD7FA6720161228_163233.jpg

Ouch, I thought CGC was able to fix this problem with their pressing process? doh!

I don`t even understand why Roy feels compelled to suppress any conjecture that the books might be pressed.

I've notice Roy generally suppress any negative commentary about pressing, market valuations, CGC's shortfall, etc. Honestly, it's become pavlonian and any time I see any negative commentary about some aspect of the hobby it's become pavlonian for me to expect Roy to chime in defending the slight to the hobby. lol

Yes, it's been said many times before, but nearly always by you !

Is that supposed to mean that pages don't change shape and normally fan out on SA Marvels or are you just trying to discredit me with a personal attack? :D

Look, nobody is knocking the books because they are pressed. Somebody asked if these were pressed and I gave my opinion.

Is that all you did? lol This is your quote below in the spoiler tags:

You compared these books to the Cole Shave books when in fact the ASM #10 9.8 example you posted is nowhere close to the template you posted.

1197716002.jpg

1eff8ec8-cda1-4df8-9760-33281494b2dd.jpg

I have no idea why you are getting so defensive about the possibility the books were pressed. What's the big deal ? (shrug)

Are you following the conversation? Why would I be defensive about books being pressed? doh! Like I said, pressing is as common as cheerios.

I'm merely pointing out how those who don't like pressing keep pointing at characteristics about the books calling them damage when it's just conjecture.

Okay Roy (worship) Everything you say is correct. The books are not pressed and they don't even remotely look like the template. It was foolish of me to even give my opinion on this, risking being wrong. Thank you so much for setting me on the right path to enlightenment.

I don`t even understand why Roy feels compelled to suppress any conjecture that the books might be pressed.

I've notice Roy generally suppress any negative commentary about pressing, market valuations, CGC's shortfall, etc. Honestly, it's become pavlonian and any time I see any negative commentary about some aspect of the hobby it's become pavlonian for me to expect Roy to chime in defending the slight to the hobby. lol

You might have missed whenever I defend a book being degraded by an arm chair critic or someone is unfairly piled up on in a conversation on the chat forum. I'm an equal opportunity anti-bullying defender.

Once again, my comments nothing to do with pressing. The books are likely pressed.

But most people who have singled me out in this thread is someone who either still is or was at one point anti pressing. Do you see a pattern?

Maybe your perception is Pavlovian. ;)

All I'm saying is that comments made by random strangers on the internet about damaged books coming up for sale when they don't actually know if they are damaged or not is unfair to a seller.

If it were my books and they were talking about something that they didn't know was actually true I wouldn't like it.

And if they were your books coming up for sale. you wouldn't like it either.

Now if someone can document or has proof that the books were damaged then I'm all for commenting about damage and would not have anything to say about it.

Okay Roy (worship) Everything you say is correct. The books are not pressed and they don't even remotely look like the template. It was foolish of me to even give my opinion on this, risking being wrong. Thank you so much for setting me on the right path to enlightenment.

Sure, resort to sarcasm in an effort to discredit me rather than just stick to the discussion.

I didn't say the books were not pressed. In all likelihood they are.

But the ASM #10 CGC 9.8 actually didn't have fanning that was that bad compared to other books I've seen or the template you showed.

The fact that you have to make this personal is unfortunate.