• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

Don't have a dog in this fight as I'm unlikely to win any of these pedigree books however I was surfing ebay and randomly came across the book below. It is being sold as a raw VF, doubtful this goes much over $50. Funny thing is it looks exactly like what is being represented in this thread as a pressed book. Anyone really think this FF is pressed? hm

ff57_zpssbb6kad6.jpg

It's a great example of front to back miswrap. With the bending top overhang and the miswrap, it doesn't look like the comic type under discussion.

As for the Fantuchhio Spideys, as I've posted before I think they look sweet. I'm sure they will do extremely well at auction, but I won't be winning any, either.

Don't have a dog in this fight as I'm unlikely to win any of these pedigree books however I was surfing ebay and randomly came across the book below. It is being sold as a raw VF, doubtful this goes much over $50. Funny thing is it looks exactly like what is being represented in this thread as a pressed book. Anyone really think this FF is pressed? hm

ff57_zpssbb6kad6.jpg

It's a great example of front to back miswrap. With the bending top overhang and the miswrap, it doesn't look like the comic type under discussion.

As for the Fantuchhio Spideys, as I've posted before they look sweet and I'm sure will do extremely well at auction I won't be winning any, either.

Yeah, the shrunken books had pages extending beyond the cover along the entire length of the book, not just towards the top.

Looking at all these high grade ASMs got me wondering if such a big glut of high grade ASMs in one auction will negatively affect the prices the prices in this auction or will the "pedigree status" along with WP send some of these books to new GPA highs.

(I do realize that each book is a case by case basis).

ff57_zpssbb6kad6.jpg

I couldn't find your copy but here is another copy with pages showing all the way down the open end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-57-1966-Marvel-Comics-/360337338759?hash=item53e5c77187:g:NScAAOSwgjhVI~Nu

There is a back to front miswrap but that is just the way the cover was cut. It has nothing to do with the lengths of the cover or interior pages.

The pages are still exposed.

Here is the other copy on eBay that I posted above with pages exposed all the way down the right edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-57-1966-Marvel-Comics-/360337338759?hash=item53e5c77187:g:NScAAOSwgjhVI~Nu

I haven't seen the back cover on either copy but based on my experience, it's likely that the pages are peeking out on the back cover as well as the front.

The point being that peeking pages are likely not enough of a 'tell' to tell if a book was pressed.

Pages are commonly exposed on SA Marvels with substantial front to back miswraps, and always have been. Here's one I had slabbed years ago, and that was most assuredly never pressed.

ST156cgc-2.jpg

The point being that there are a set of characteristics that make it likely that a SA comic was pressed, especially when they're the result of an overzealous pressing job.

If the back pages on a book are not exposed like the front it's likely a spine roll.

If the back pages on a book are exposed like the front then it's paper shrinkage.

Pages are commonly exposed on SA Marvels with substantial front to back miswraps, and always have been. Here's one I had slabbed years ago, and that was most assuredly never pressed.

I'm quite sure the miswrap has nothing to do with peekthrough.

A miswrap happens when the cover sheet (which contains 8 covers if I'm not mistaken) is not cut square to the artwork on the cover before it is ever wrapped around the comic.

So the cover pages are sized appropriately but the artwork is slightly crooked.

Whether the artwork is cut square to the artwork or not, the covers are still wrapped around the interior wraps, folded/stapled and then finally trimmed square on 3 sides as the last step.

Whether the cover is miswrapped or not before it is attached to the interior pages has no bearing on the peek through as all 3 sides are cut clean and square during production.

The peek through happens as the interior paper and cover paper change shape relative to each other over time.

ff57_zpssbb6kad6.jpg

As for the Fantuchhio Spideys, as I've posted before I think they look sweet. I'm sure they will do extremely well at auction, but I won't be winning any, either.

This FF looks the same as the ASM 10,11,39 and 50 posted earlier in this thread. Pages showing at the top and not showing at the bottom. Why is the FF being attributed to miswrap and the ASM's being attributed to pressing? The characteristics all look the same to me (shrug)

Edited by LordRahl

ff57_zpssbb6kad6.jpg

As for the Fantuchhio Spideys, as I've posted before they look sweet and I'm sure will do extremely well at auction I won't be winning any, either.

Yeah, the shrunken books had pages extending beyond the cover along the entire length of the book, not just towards the top.

Are you talking about the Cole Schave books or the Fantuchhio Spidey's? Because with the exception of the ASM 2, the Fantuchhio Spidey's don't have pages extending beyond the cover for the entire length of the book. The 10,11,39 and 50 extend slightly beyond at the top and taper off to nothing showing at the bottom.

People have been collecting and saving comics almost since day one....... Edgar Church for example, and by the early 50's, Science Fiction fandom had spawned quite a few comic book collectors. EC Comics even encouraged it's own "Fan Addict" group. To think that by the 60's that no one was taking special care of these books is ludicrous.... especially since we have evidence with other pedigrees to the contrary. Without knowing Mr. Fantucchio personally or being privy to his storage and purchasing habits, it is pure speculation as to whether his collection even needed pressing to begin with. While the silent majority really doesn't seem to mind pressing, there is definitely a vocal few who "seem" to denigrate the process, so I'm not surprised that most Auction Houses don't disclose to the internet community at large. To be honest, I'm also seeing this "negative shadow" that Roy seems to be alluding to. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...... one thing I do know..... QP improved significantly when Marvel switched from Eastern to World Color Press in the late 60's.....

To be honest, I'm also seeing this "negative shadow" that Roy seems to be alluding to.

Building a narrative that says 'peekthrough' is a 'tell' that a book is pressed is flatly wrong and eventually, if allowed to continue would lead people to believe that all books with 'peekthrough' interor pages are pressed even though it is not true and there is sufficient evidence to show that even unpressed books have 'peekthrough' pages.

You`ve succeeded, Roy. Reading this thread makes me lose my will to live now.

Good Lord, man, it's only January 4. Get a grip! You've got dozens of pressing threads still to get through this year.

Good Lord, man, it's only January 4. Get a grip! You've got dozens of pressing threads still to get through this year.

He's a grumpy, elitist, curmudgeon constantly telling people to get off his lawn. Ain't no way he's going anywhere if there's someone to be a curmudgeon to. (tsk)

...... one thing I do know..... QP improved significantly when Marvel switched from Eastern to World Color Press in the late 60's.....

Did they switch to another printer in the early 70s? Because QP went out the window for much of the Bronze Age.

lol

I don`t even read pressing threads anymore. This thread was actually supposed to be about a new pedigree.

Did they switch to another printer in the early 70s? Because QP went out the window for much of the Bronze Age.

..... they were still making comics in the 70's ? ........GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

To be honest, I'm also seeing this "negative shadow" that Roy seems to be alluding to.

Building a narrative that says 'peekthrough' is a 'tell' that a book is pressed is flatly wrong and eventually, if allowed to continue would lead people to believe that all books with 'peekthrough' interor pages are pressed even though it is not true and there is sufficient evidence to show that even unpressed books have 'peekthrough' pages.

Agreed. Peekthrough alone means nothing. I never said peekthrough meant a book is pressed. Did anybody else ? Stronger characteristics of a press is the stiff, 'starched' look of the top overhang combined with that funky top corner overlap look. In any case, pressed, not pressed, who cares ? The only thing going on here is whether Roy gets the last word in. Can't let that happen. HaHa.