• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

I don`t even understand why Roy feels compelled to suppress any conjecture that the books might be pressed.

I've notice Roy generally suppress any negative commentary about pressing, market valuations, CGC's shortfall, etc. Honestly, it's become pavlonian and any time I see any negative commentary about some aspect of the hobby it's become pavlonian for me to expect Roy to chime in defending the slight to the hobby. lol

You might have missed whenever I defend a book being degraded by an arm chair critic or someone is unfairly piled up on in a conversation on the chat forum. I'm an equal opportunity anti-bullying defender.

Once again, my comments nothing to do with pressing. The books are likely pressed.

But most people who have singled me out in this thread is someone who either still is or was at one point anti pressing. Do you see a pattern?

Maybe your perception is Pavlovian. ;)

All I'm saying is that comments made by random strangers on the internet about damaged books coming up for sale when they don't actually know if they are damaged or not is unfair to a seller.

If it were my books and they were talking about something that they didn't know was actually true I wouldn't like it.

And if they were your books coming up for sale. you wouldn't like it either.

Now if someone can document or has proof that the books were damaged then I'm all for commenting about damage and would not have anything to say about it.

Well said!

As has been said many times before, this is a common trait for Silver Age Marvels.

Yes, it's been said many times before, but nearly always by you !

Is that supposed to mean that pages don't change shape and normally fan out on SA Marvels or are you just trying to discredit me with a personal attack? :D

Look, nobody is knocking the books because they are pressed. Somebody asked if these were pressed and I gave my opinion.

Is that all you did? lol This is your quote below in the spoiler tags:

You compared these books to the Cole Shave books when in fact the ASM #10 9.8 example you posted is nowhere close to the template you posted.

Regarding the question if these books have been pressed. IMO, it's very apparent the answer is yes. Anybody remember the Cole Shave discussions ? Here is a template that was published during that discussion showing the format of those uber pressed books. Though a bit more 'tempered' this new pedigree displays the same characteristics. Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

JIM96facejob_zps0dcf712b.png

1197716002.jpg

1eff8ec8-cda1-4df8-9760-33281494b2dd.jpg

I have no idea why you are getting so defensive about the possibility the books were pressed. What's the big deal ? (shrug)

Are you following the conversation? Why would I be defensive about books being pressed? doh! Like I said, pressing is as common as cheerios.

I'm merely pointing out how those who don't like pressing keep pointing at characteristics about the books calling them damage when it's just conjecture.

Roy,

Who has used the word "damage" in this thread besides you? No one. Bob & Bob pointed out what look like characteristics of pressed books.

Okay Roy (worship) Everything you say is correct. The books are not pressed and they don't even remotely look like the template. It was foolish of me to even give my opinion on this, risking being wrong. Thank you so much for setting me on the right path to enlightenment.

Sure, resort to sarcasm in an effort to discredit me rather than just stick to the discussion.

I didn't say the books were not pressed. In all likelihood they are.

But the ASM #10 CGC 9.8 actually didn't have fanning that was that bad compared to other books I've seen or the template you showed.

The fact that you have to make this personal is unfortunate.

Roy, I really don't want to engage you or make it personal. I said nothing negative about the books other than they were pressed, showing a template as an example. I said they are pressed, and you just said they are pressed. We are in agreement. What are we arguing about ?

Edited by bomber-bob

Regarding the question if these books have been pressed. IMO, it's very apparent the answer is yes. Anybody remember the Cole Shave discussions ? Here is a template that was published during that discussion showing the format of those uber pressed books. Though a bit more 'tempered' this new pedigree displays the same characteristics. Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

It's an unbelievably gorgeous book, but I believe Bob is correct in his observation of the pressings:

RAD7FA6720161228_163233.jpg

Ouch, I thought CGC was able to fix this problem with their pressing process? doh!

Whether or not it is or isn't, the ugliest part of this book is the way it sits in the case, hugging the right hand side. It looks awful, and the OCD in me once passed on a book because of the way it sat in the case.

Jim

It's an unbelievably gorgeous book, but I believe Bob is correct in his observation of the pressings:

Ouch, I thought CGC was able to fix this problem with their pressing process? doh!

Whether or not it is or isn't, the ugliest part of this book is the way it sits in the case, hugging the right hand side. It looks awful, and the OCD in me once passed on a book because of the way it sat in the case.

Jim

...this could also be why the book's cover is slightly shifted. I've deslabbed a lot of books for my collection, and the static cling associated with the plastic sometimes causes this. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

can't you still just tap slab to make the book move left or right? (in the new slabs?)
There's a wedge on the left side preventing movement.

Roy,

Who has used the word "damage" in this thread besides you? No one. Bob & Bob pointed out what look like characteristics of pressed books.

Sorry, you're right. I did jump the gun a little and shortened the discussion down to the word 'damaged' because

a) namisgr often points out what he thinks are defects that were introduced into books that were pressed (which sometimes are and sometimes are not)

a) people are pointing out the Cole Shave shrunken cover are lumping these books with the Cole Shave books which did have shrunken covers.

My point still stands (and it's a pet peeve of mine - sorry, everybody has them) that people who have no vested interest in the sale of a book have a lot of conjecture about something may or may not be true but could turn off bidders. I find it irresponsible.

Roy, I really don't want to engage you or make it personal. I said nothing negative about the books other than they were pressed, showing a template as an example. I said they are pressed, and you just said they are pressed. We are in agreement. What are we arguing about ?

That the shrunken cover template doesn't really apply to the book you posted.

If you were honest about it you'd have admitted it rather than just making it about me.

I'll drop it as I've made my point .

For a book this valuable, a new owner could fork over the 15 bucks for a reholdering. :grin:

Oh I get that Bob, but my question is how it ever left Sarasota like that. Surely there must be smaller wedges that you could put on both sides so the book is centred properly? :shrug:

Jim

For a book this valuable, a new owner could fork over the 15 bucks for a reholdering. :grin:

Oh I get that Bob, but my question is how it ever left Sarasota like that. Surely there must be smaller wedges that you could put on both sides so the book is centred properly? :shrug:

Jim

Where's my T-shirt?

What are we arguing about ?

That the shrunken cover template doesn't really apply to the book you posted.

IMO, the books of this collection are similar to the template. Definitely not to the degree of the Cole Shave but they share the same characteristics. Not necessarily the fanning, as the fanning on these books are slight, but that upper right corner overhang thing. You disagree, fine. I see what I see, you see what you see. Others can judge for themselves.

Edited by bomber-bob

I haven't kept up on the cole schave stuff, but I'm sure they've improved the process. Sure wouldn't shock for me for these to be the results of that improvement in process.

Jim

Where's my T-shirt?

C2-E2? :wishluck:

BTW the 'Heels are looking really good, and have yet to gel.

JJ

Jim

Where's my T-shirt?

C2-E2? :wishluck:

BTW the 'Heels are looking really good, and have yet to gel.

JJ

No

Jim

Where's my T-shirt?

i-m-with-stupid-t-shirt-funny-t-shirt-saying-humor-retro-tee-13.jpg

Jim

Where's my T-shirt?

i-m-with-stupid-t-shirt-funny-t-shirt-saying-humor-retro-tee-13.jpg

Perfect but you must stand to my left at all times.