• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
27 27

9,665 posts in this topic

I am hoping to hear from Jim but my guess is that Henry Steele was sending him books prior to his death. I have no doubt that Henry had purchased books over the years from Jim. Mr. Steele obviously never told his wife or kids anything about the value of his collection so when he passed his wife knew nothing about what to do with it. A shame really, as she could have been taken severe advantage of and we may never know the truth.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

She was offering to pay us to clean out a room of her house. She said there were stack of old newspaper strips and we were welcome to them.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

As I said, she was planning to pay us to clean the stuff out.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, MrBedrock said:

They said that they had done some roof work for her and  that she had given them some comics, some books, and bags full of VHS tapes.

Just imagine in this day and age with all of the ongong news stories about collectibles being worth big money, and yet, she had absolutely no idea at all and was actually willing to pay to have it taken away.  :whatthe:  doh!

Clearly there must not have been any communication at all between Janet Steele and her husband when it came to his love for his treasured comic books.  :(

My wife and my family have no interest in my collection nor any exact value of it. My wife has been a high end antique dealer and my kids were raised in a house of collectors so they are far from clueless. But I have catalogued it all on spreadsheets. I have also given them specific instructions on who to call when the time to sell comes. Very sad that Mrs Steele had no idea but she obviously had no interest.

Props to Mr. Bedrock and Jim Payette for being fair and honest with the Steeles.

And what an amazing run of Hit! 

On 5/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, mustang33guy said:

Hey everyone! 

Got this nice low grade copy of one of my favorite issues in the Fight run at Little Giant a couple weeks ago.

I got it from Jim Payette and noticed it had this Certificate of Provenance on the back of it. From an original owner like collection from Dr. Henry Binford Steele. 

Was just wondering if anyone else has any other knowledge on this collection or even have their own copies from it. Thanks! 

Fight Comics #10

4773C854-7C55-464F-996D-AE90E548449B.jpeg

18AA3296-51AC-4E69-BD7F-56BB5934BCBF.jpeg

I have some Steele collection books.  Jumbo 9 and 13.   Some doctor who collected since childhood and held books for years.   The estate asked to have certs made as kind of memorial to him.   Definitely not high grade material 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:09 PM, Robot Man said:

Sometimes the grade is not as important as the love and dedication that is put into  a collection…

When I was at the Little Giant show in New Hampshire and looking through the boxes at Jim Payette's booth, there were many basket cases of Fiction House books that I could've picked up for a song that belonged to this collection.

A lot of them may not have been up to my own personal standard for acquisition. But one thing was for sure and that was that the collection, whoever it belonged to (I hadn't known about Henry Steele yet) was definitely someone who appreciated and loved these books. I was very happy to own a piece of that and it was just a bonus that one of the books happened to be an issue I had been on the hunt for. Sure it's not Promise Collection condition, but certainly good enough for me given the scarcity and for the price I got it for.

Again if I had known about the collection before hand (the Provenance COA was on the back and I never bothered to look before I purchased lol) I would've gotten a few more.

Oh well maybe next time!

On 5/12/2022 at 10:33 AM, mustang33guy said:

When I was at the Little Giant show in New Hampshire and looking through the boxes at Jim Payette's booth, there were many basket cases of Fiction House books that I could've picked up for a song that belonged to this collection.

A lot of them may not have been up to my own personal standard for acquisition. But one thing was for sure and that was that the collection, whoever it belonged to (I hadn't known about Henry Steele yet) was definitely someone who appreciated and loved these books. I was very happy to own a piece of that and it was just a bonus that one of the books happened to be an issue I had been on the hunt for. Sure it's not Promise Collection condition, but certainly good enough for me given the scarcity and for the price I got it for.

Again if I had known about the collection before hand (the Provenance COA was on the back and I never bothered to look before I purchased lol) I would've gotten a few more.

Oh well maybe next time!

He has quite a few listed on his website and not all are low grade…

On 5/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I bought 2 of the Steele books from Jim Jum12 on the boards.  He bought them from Payette off the website I assume.  Payette's grading is so strict that I didn't realize how nice the books would look until I got them from Jim Jum...these two were purchased off the stands by Henry Steele.

51719089973_35c5c6790b_c.jpg

51719706890_087568d136_c.jpg

52073050427_a7795d1ba2_c.jpg

52074323874_e19f8d7741_c.jpg

Dr. Steele...

52074323734_e1d1280bf4_z.jpg

That Wings is stunning!

On 5/19/2022 at 6:05 PM, Robot Man said:

So happy to greet my mailman today. I have bought very few books this year. I love this issue. Might be my favorite issue. This is my 3rd upgrade and probably my last. Such a tough one.  :banana:

3FABA906-D6FA-4FA2-A533-58AE45F03B62.jpeg

(worship)

Great pick up RM. I will gladly take your under copy when you ready to sell. Congratulations again amazing book

On 5/19/2022 at 3:05 PM, Robot Man said:

So happy to greet my mailman today. I have bought very few books this year. I love this issue. Might be my favorite issue. This is my 3rd upgrade and probably my last. Such a tough one.  :banana:

3FABA906-D6FA-4FA2-A533-58AE45F03B62.jpeg

Very nice! That was been one of the hardest issues to locate in my experience. Love it!