• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,638 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, szav said:

Guess i can’t call Kaanga #8 the poor man’s Ghost #6 anymore.

Is that because the girl is in similar poses? And similar values as well?

I'm sure he was using models for these poses, they are just so spot on. Maurice must have done a lot of life drawing in his day.

Edited by comicnoir

On 10/14/2022 at 12:07 PM, Tsp99 said:

This may have helped hype the Kaanga 8 and others....  The Rare Kaanga Comics #8 With Maurice Whitman Cover, at Auction (bleedingcool.com)

I suppose it could have helped a bit but since the article states that the book was already at $2500, I suspect it had very little to do with whatever shenanigans may have been going on. 

On 10/14/2022 at 9:07 PM, szav said:

The pose of the girl, but to be honest I'd never even noticed that till yesterday.  Not a total swipe at all but one looks to have borrowed the basic elements from the other.

image.png.0356b2ffe1e792c1a8ddbc79da0cf7d0.png

In the Kaanga he had to push her legs closer to her body to make way for the gorilla and his teeth.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:29 PM, szav said:

Looks like she got caught while spreading out her hair with her right hand to make it look more dramatic for the camera too.  I like both versions.

Don't forget in the Ghost comic her right hand is manacled to the floor, unable to run her fingers through her luxuriant tresses.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:29 PM, szav said:

Looks like she got caught while spreading out her hair with her right hand to make it look more dramatic for the camera too.  I like both versions.

Well at some point if you're going to be attacked by a rampaging gorilla you may as well make sure you look good.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:43 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Back from the graders! Jumbo 34. Was hoping to get a 7.5 and be tied for 2nd highest with 1 9.2 higher, but not complaining with 7.0. Lone 3rd highest graded of 9 copies so solid enough 😊🙌

01DA75BC-0E95-4A88-A1A8-5765FC2101A3.jpeg

Nice! It looks like there's a bit of staining on the front cover, and CGC hammers staining, so maybe that made the difference in the grade.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:15 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Nice! It looks like there's a bit of staining on the front cover, and CGC hammers staining, so maybe that made the difference in the grade.

Oh yeah, I think it’s a dust shadow maybe, but it definitely hit me a good amount.