• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

His exact words were:  "It's yours if you top Roy's offer by $1." :)

I'll give you $2 extra for it then. :cry:

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not to add insult to injury, but he accepted payment in Canadian dollars. :)

39 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
4 hours ago, VintageComics said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not to add insult to injury, but he accepted payment in Canadian dollars. :)

I should have offered it in BITCOIN !!

First bought this one at a local show in '92... had graded in '03... at the time it was the sole highest graded.  Sold it a few years later.  Since then, another 9.2 has appeared, as well as a 9.4 and a 9.6. 

Love the neatly penned "1948" near the top. 

"Ultimate phallic symbol cover".   :bigsmile: 

planet53_post_slab.jpg

32 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

First bought this one at a local show in '92... had graded in '03... at the time it was the sole highest graded.  Sold it a few years later.  Since then, another 9.2 has appeared, as well as a 9.4 and a 9.6. 

Love the neatly penned "1948" near the top. 

"Ultimate phallic symbol cover".   :bigsmile: 

planet53_post_slab.jpg

One of my favorite Planets. Great copy!!

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Yep- great cover, first Baker on Mysta of the Moon... outstanding issue.

I love that short Baker run in Planet. Is there such a thing as a "bad" Planet cover?

I've never seen one.

14 hours ago, path4play said:

Pretty high grade for me. 

5262017a.jpg

Never noticed that one before. Very impressive. Great composition, along the diagonal from her right hand to left foot. And her leg seems to go on forever. And in a rare twist of fate, it's the girl rescuing the guy, who's about to be spun into mincemeat. To summarize: I like it!!

On 5/26/2017 at 8:36 AM, Sqeggs said:
On 5/25/2017 at 10:10 PM, VintageComics said:
On 4/18/2017 at 6:42 PM, Sqeggs said:

Count me in!

b119e983-2ee2-45cb-b697-b417e2da85ea_zps

Read more  

I tried hard to pry that book from the seller's hands but he told me it was already taken. I had it a feeling it was you. :cry:

Wow! You got that book cheap!!! Congrats(thumbsu

I posted this a few days ago in the Pre-Robin Tec Club thread, figuring they'd find the cross-fertilization of Bob Kane an interesting thing. Apparently not -- maybe it ruined the moonlight glow of a certain book. :nyah: 

Anyhow, maybe the Fiction House thread is a more natural place for this tidbit --

I was perusing Comic Book Plus, looking at Jumbo Comics #1, cover date of September 1938. Here is page 1 of Peter Pupp, by Bob Kane. Check out panel #7. Remind you of anything? I suppose self-swiping isn't such a fault... If the answer isn't obvious, the spoiler can be found below. Apologies if this has been discussed a 1,000 times before.

2.jpg.d7ff1f4253319eecf8079eab4ebf5660.thumb.jpg.a30ce911ceae262de371d1b870ecb033.jpg

Spoiler

Detective_Comics_31.jpg.4dd5e64aad3ee6bdfaa8d906234b37ac.jpg

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

I posted this a few days ago in the Pre-Robin Tec Club thread, figuring they'd find the cross-fertilization of Bob Kane an interesting thing. Apparently not -- maybe it ruined the moonlight glow of a certain book. :nyah: 

Anyhow, maybe the Fiction House thread is a more natural place for this tidbit --

I was perusing Comic Book Plus, looking at Jumbo Comics #1, cover date of September 1938. Here is page 1 of Peter Pupp, by Bob Kane. Check out panel #7. Remind you of anything? I suppose self-swiping isn't such a fault... If the answer isn't obvious, the spoiler can be found below. Apologies if this has been discussed a 1,000 times before.

2.jpg.d7ff1f4253319eecf8079eab4ebf5660.thumb.jpg.a30ce911ceae262de371d1b870ecb033.jpg

Hide contents

Kane did like to swipe pretty much everything, isn't pretty much everything in the first batman story swiped from Flash Gordon and big little books? He probably used the same castle in his swipe file for both.

14 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hide contents

Cool find! 

13 hours ago, catman76 said:

Kane did like to swipe pretty much everything, isn't pretty much everything in the first batman story swiped from Flash Gordon and big little books? He probably used the same castle in his swipe file for both.

57 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Cool find! 

Interesting Catman, I haven't read much about Kane's art "connections" to the Flash Gordon and big little books. Do you know of any representative images?

Yes, it's always fun to "discover" these things in one's serendipitous meanderings through the interior pages of the GA. A little bit history, a little bit archeology (Sqeggs, I know you want to add, "and a little bit rock and roll" -- so I'll do it for ya!)

42 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Interesting Catman, I haven't read much about Kane's art "connections" to the Flash Gordon and big little books. Do you know of any representative images?

Yes, it's always fun to "discover" these things in one's serendipitous meanderings through the interior pages of the GA. A little bit history, a little bit archeology (Sqeggs, I know you want to add, "and a little bit rock and roll" -- so I'll do it for ya!)

There's a lot about it here and how much of a jerk and liar Kane was.... http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/389/ 

16 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Reveal hidden contents

Why do I get the impression that probably every panel in this piece was probably swiped from a Floyd Gottfredson Mickey strip?

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

Why do I get the impression that probably every panel in this piece was probably swiped from a Floyd Gottfredson Mickey strip?

Probably. That and other comic strips. I think in other ones there's some Buck Rogers swipes. The style varies from panel to panel in a lot of them. He would copy parts from other strips and even copy the style and crosshatching and the drawing style varied within same panel. Reading stories about the guy, I wonder if he ever actually drew anything completely himself.

Edited by catman76