• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

And that's why they called it Jumbo Comics! :idea:

Is the artwork in those jumbo Jumbos (1-8) just scaled up, or are there more panels per page? And are the stories and art generally on par with later issues, or were they pretty, um, basic?

Here is an example from Jumbo 2, I think.  I could only scan half.  The art looks like a Sunday tabloid page. 

2339492366_42deed1340_b.jpg

5 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Here is an example from Jumbo 2, I think.  I could only scan half.  The art looks like a Sunday tabloid page. 

2339492366_42deed1340_b.jpg

Thanks BB! That's a great scan. And according to GCD, this shows the origin of Sheena, "Part Two." Meskin's signature in last panel. Definitely emulating the adventure strips of the day.

On 5/5/2017 at 0:42 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Picked up an interior page to one of my favorite FH books the other day, Cowgirl Romances 7

Anybody have any clue who would have done this in the Iger studio?

IMG_8882.jpg

IMG_3904.JPG

I have this splash (from  Cowgirl Romances 5), and tried to ascertain the artist but no luck.

915f11ec-3260-4337-9833-e7ae494276e2_zps

cd8927c3-1d90-4ab7-88bd-b5166a1af9b7_zps

On 5/7/2017 at 9:29 AM, Straw-Man said:

wonderful!  actually looks more like a pennsylvania than a rockford, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Interesting point.  Don't recall seeing a P like that on a Rockford. 

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting point.  Don't recall seeing a P like that on a Rockford. 

Me neither. I don't think that "p" looks like a pennsylvania "p" though. It is missing that little loop on the decender and is in grease pencil.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Zolnerowich said:
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, adamstrange said:

Jumbo 1 - 8 are the size of placemats.

SD Con Geekfest Group.jpg

That is such a cool photo, in so many ways!

What is the placemat in front of Richard, to the very far left? Another Jumbo, or really just a placemat?

It would be fun to know who are the other geeks lording over the placemats (as long as no one minds).

That placemat in front of Richard is a New Fun 6.

NewFun6.JPG

8 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

That placemat in front of Richard is a New Fun 6.

NewFun6.JPG

When they were eating, it's where Richard put his pizza.  Didn't want to mess up the table.

I know this is OA, but is IS fiction house. Page 1 splash page from one of my favorite Fight issues # 32. This is from the story that is portrayed on the classsic cover of 32. Nazi symbols and references are present on this OA and were so pertinent and real when this was drawn. Fascinating and cool to me at the same time.

IMG_0568.PNG

On 5/12/2017 at 1:14 PM, Ephus said:

I know this is OA, but is IS fiction house. Page 1 splash page from one of my favorite Fight issues # 32. This is from the story that is portrayed on the classsic cover of 32. Nazi symbols and references are present on this OA and were so pertinent and real when this was drawn. Fascinating and cool to me at the same time.

IMG_0568.PNG

Cool stuff Ephus! And welcome to the boards!

Do you know who the artist is?

On 5/8/2017 at 5:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Me neither. I don't think that "p" looks like a pennsylvania "p" though. It is missing that little loop on the decender and is in grease pencil.

There were some nice P and M books in grease pencil sold awhile back from original owner find.  I picked up a few.   Handwriting expert not needed I guess as that Rockford P was graded earlier than these were found and sold. 

Big12-973x1544.jpg

ECfix1-973x1543.jpg