• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The least respected genre of the Golden Age...
1 1

168 posts in this topic

I started considering cross genres or subsets and I think I've come up with the least desirable type of golden age comic - Photo Cover Western Romance!

I can't help but think that if these covers were line drawn, and the girls had pointy boobs, people would be climbing over each other to buy them...

Where do sports comics rank on the list?

Of course every non important krappy western, or any book of any kind, is always IN SUPER HIGH GRADE, WHEN ITS MR BEDROCK, (worship)

Remember kids, Its Ritchie world and we all live in it ! :pullhair:

I've learned to corral any impulse to pony-up just because Ricky rides tall in the saddle. Too much horsin' around in those cowboy romance books for a city dude. Granted, super high grade is the Bedrock brand ...and the Circle E is hard to cover with a running iron..., but looking behind the barn door, free range westerns usually end up more bull than Grade A prime. Maybe this sorta stuff can get a hand excited in the Bunky house, but these don't stirrup much enthusiasm in the Cat house.

I'll end this with a Harley Yee-hah! ;)

I started considering cross genres or subsets and I think I've come up with the least desirable type of golden age comic - Photo Cover Western Romance!

I can't help but think that if these covers were line drawn, and the girls had pointy boobs, people would be climbing over each other to buy them...

Like all genres, there are some cool sports books. Mostly ones with HOF baseball players. I seem to be only able to sell them to sports collectors though.

comyankees_zpsaoeh7rdf.jpg

comtruesportv310_zpssmuhluqc.jpg

comtruesportsv51_zpsqgjiexzz.jpg

comtruesportV26_zpsxahykwp7.jpg

I always wondered why so many early romance comics have photo covers. I guess publishers thought that females would be more likely buy a comic because it had a photo cover that looked more like a magazine and not be embarrassed buying a silly comic? Or maybe it was just a coincidence that romance comics were really popular at the time photo covers were a more common thing? Seems there was a small window of time where photo covers were all over, but it didn't last very long. Just generic photo covers anyway, not counting tv or movie related comics that came around in the later 50s.

Near the bottom among comic collectors, but there is a small amount of interest in the sports memorabilia community.

I always wondered why so many early romance comics have photo covers. I guess publishers thought that females would be more likely buy a comic because it had a photo cover that looked more like a magazine and not be embarrassed buying a silly comic? Or maybe it was just a coincidence that romance comics were really popular at the time photo covers were a more common thing? Seems there was a small window of time where photo covers were all over, but it didn't last very long. Just generic photo covers anyway, not counting tv or movie related comics that came around in the later 50s.

Could be to make them seem similar to the movie fan mags of the time.

You do realize you're tanking Dr. Love's next sales thread? :taptaptap:

The only thing that tanks my sales threads are my asking prices!

the takeaway here is

I like photocovers

Richard likes photocovers

therefore, you all should like photocovers too :baiting:

WORD