• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The least respected genre of the Golden Age...
1 1

168 posts in this topic

You do realize you're tanking Dr. Love's next sales thread? :taptaptap:

The only thing that tanks my sales threads are my asking prices!

the takeaway here is

I like photocovers

Richard likes photocovers

therefore, you all should like photocovers too :baiting:

Rulz/Droolz! :sumo:

No mega key, but probably the closest pure photo would be the Romance Trail 1 9.6. Primarily for historical value, being National's first entry into romance. And Toth of course. I like the Range Romances cutie myself.

But the hybrid Young Lovers 18 with cowboy Elvis crushes them all into fine romance dust. I love Romance Trail 2 as well, that dark dark green into black moody happy cover is the bomb.

No mega key, but probably the closest pure photo would be the Romance Trail 1 9.6. Primarily for historical value, being National's first entry into romance. And Toth of course. I like the Range Romances cutie myself.

But the hybrid Young Lovers 18 with cowboy Elvis crushes them all into fine romance dust. I love Romance Trail 2 as well, that dark dark green into black moody happy cover is the bomb.

We think so much alike. I like the Cowboy Love 5 for the same reason.

I saw this over in the "creepy dude" thread...

I'm amazed at some of the books that you all own.

It is obviously hard to determine the tone of this quote, but given its placement I don't think it was said awe and respect. Probably something more along the lines of questioning amusement along with a head scratch. It got me thinking about what is the least desirable genre of the golden age? Some of the old standbys, like teen humor, are now highly sought after. Crime is on the rise. Romance is starting to pick up. Westerns are still slow for the most part, though some publishers are picking up (EC, Atlas, Ajax). I would say Classics Illustrated but there is a very rabid base of Classics collectors which exist outside of the normal comic collecting community. Heck, someone said there were bidding wars for Dell Four Colors on Ebay! So what is it that nobody is collecting these days?

I started considering cross genres or subsets and I think I've come up with the least desirable type of golden age comic - Photo Cover Western Romance!

When I said that I was perfectly serious. But there was dual intent, both that I'm amazed in a good way because it takes genuine dedication to dig that deeply into the hobby to find some of them, and secondly amazed in a bad way because some of those books are so creepy that I'd never ever want to own them. But most of all, I'm amazed that there's a thread that showcases these crazy covers and I absolutely loved paging through it. That was the most educational thread I've read in months, and this one follows it up nicely, so thanks for both of them!

That being said, are photo cover westerns less sellable than high-HRN Classics?

I think this is Lily Munster (Yvonne DeCarlo) also...

untamedlove4.jpg

something else and then some! I told you to bring it, but dang that is sick!

I like it black cover and Yvonne

It is obviously hard to determine the tone of this quote, but given its placement I don't think it was said awe and respect. Probably something more along the lines of questioning amusement along with a head scratch. It got me thinking about what is the least desirable genre of the golden age? Some of the old standbys, like teen humor, are now highly sought after. Crime is on the rise. Romance is starting to pick up. Westerns are still slow for the most part, though some publishers are picking up (EC, Atlas, Ajax). I would say Classics Illustrated but there is a very rabid base of Classics collectors which exist outside of the normal comic collecting community. Heck, someone said there were bidding wars for Dell Four Colors on Ebay! So what is it that nobody is collecting these days?

I started considering cross genres or subsets and I think I've come up with the least desirable type of golden age comic - Photo Cover Western Romance!

:takeit:

I find them desirable, but as it is with everything, money is always in limited supply. Or maybe it's too little money chasing too many books.

That being said, are photo cover westerns less sellable than high-HRN Classics?

Yes. I can price Classics at a point where they will always sell. $3 to $5 ea. and you can sell any and all of them, no matter the grade.

That is also true of most Dells. There are a few titles that are a little tougher, but for the most part there is a price point where Dells will move.

But photo cover western romance, especially in low to mid grade, are very hard to even get folks to look at no matter the price.

Which book would be the mega-key of the photo-cover western romance genre?

I remember seeing a photo cover western where Dale was looking at you quite romantically hm

I think this is Lily Munster (Yvonne DeCarlo) also...

untamedlove4.jpg

something else and then some! I told you to bring it, but dang that is sick!

I like it black cover and Yvonne

Dont let Herman find you saying that :baiting:

munsters_zps5z2tnorj.jpg

Wow... another shocking thread puts a smile on my face reading it! About halfway through the second page I had the same thought that Bunky Brian voiced. I've seen these books for decades in boxes on the floor in sub-VG condition. But to see everyone of these in the 9.0-9.6 range suddenly makes this genre a little more legitimate.

Bravo, sir, for putting together this collection and sharing it! :applause: