• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Carbo allowed back into NYCC?
5 5

178 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Is Patz or any of this affiliated with Dave and Adam's Card World?  "DA Card World.  I believe Carbo is with them when in Seattle.

I don't believe DA Card World has any association with Patz except for the fact that they are both in NY State and are both in comics.

I can't comment on DA's relationship with Carbo other than he was their primary buyer. Since ECCC is a Reed show I don't know whether Carbo will be there under the current news.

Edited by VintageComics

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, oakman29 said:

Carbo certainly is a colorful dude, but when he started dyeing his hair.:eyeroll:

Really. Who dies their hair gray? Looks much better since he washed that mess out and went natural.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Really. Who dies their hair gray? Looks much better since he washed that mess out and went natural.

I saw him end of January at Terry's show in Yorba Linda with red\ brown ur whatever color it was, but it certainly wasnt gray.

Well, I spoke to someone at DA Cards and apparently Carbo has been exonerated by the NYPD and all involved.

Maybe he will be in Seattle this weekend.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Well, I spoke to someone at DA Cards and apparently Carbo has been exonerated by the NYPD and all involved.

Exonerated or not he can't be trusted to properly vet whom he gives dealer passes to.

16 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I don't believe DA Card World has any association with Patz except for the fact that they are both in NY State and are both in comics.

I can't comment on DA's relationship with Carbo other than he was their primary buyer. Since ECCC is a Reed show I don't know whether Carbo will be there under the current news.

Patz and Carbo are banned from all Reed shows, this includes ECCC.  Now of course nothing is stoping them from buying a pass on resale or doing the old bump and pass move to get in through security (or even using a shell to buy booth space for them and then subsequently set up), but none the less.  

8 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Something smells "off" about that. (Not what you're saying Roy, the statement itself)  DA Cards may be saying exonerated as a CYA statement (since he is their head comic buyer) but my guess is it's more that the NYPD decided not to investigate/pursue charges. 

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

Something smells "off" about that. (Not what you're saying Roy, the statement itself)  DA Cards may be saying exonerated as a CYA statement (since he is their head comic buyer) but my guess is it's more that the NYPD decided not to investigate/pursue charges.

You're a lawyer (in the NYC or NJ area if I'm not mistaken) so I'd defer to your judgement.

So what about the security report that was attached to the article? How does that play into this?

18 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You're a lawyer (in the NYC or NJ area if I'm not mistaken) so I'd defer to your judgement.

So what about the security report that was attached to the article? How does that play into this?

NY and DC admitted.  The security report that was attached to the article was an internal investigation by the Javits Center.  Sean Turner is the manager of field operations and investigations there.  Ken Dixon is the VP at Javits.  So this is Javits looking into the issue.  The report tells us (in a non legal sense) what happened.  I think I may have written this up earlier.  I pulled the jacket on the Patz case.  You can tell that the DA wants NOTHING to do with this case.  Given that most of the items were returned, they are basically punting.  

On 2/23/2017 at 11:40 AM, Buzzetta said:

For the record... I have yet to pick up a ticket to this show.  Still debating it and I am still not convinced that Stan will be there yet.

i thought that NYCC was the final NY appearance.

Not saying you called it but Stan won't be there due to what has been quoted as "health issues".

7 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Not saying you called it but Stan won't be there due to what has been quoted as "health issues".

Carbo was also supposedly getting married at the show with Stan officiating.  Am I safe in saying that this was <spoon> as well? 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:
9 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Carbo was also supposedly getting married at the show with Stan officiating.  Am I safe in saying that this was <spoon> as well? 

Are you the jilted bride?  Or groom?  :baiting:

On 2017-03-10 at 7:03 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 2017-03-10 at 11:35 AM, Iceman399 said:

Stan was supposed to do a signing I heard about and couldn't. He's getting really old.

He wasn't at the wedding but Vincent officiated the wedding and he was posting live video feeds of the wedding on his Facebook page. It was amusing.

The scuttlebutt at Carbo's show regarding the Javits incident is that Mike wasn't present at the booth on Sunday when the items were taken. Also hearing that Reed/Pop was happy to spin the story up to throw some mud on Carbo and the other guy because con-promoter-rivalry.

4 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

The scuttlebutt at Carbo's show regarding the Javits incident is that Mike wasn't present at the booth on Sunday when the items were taken. Also hearing that Reed/Pop was happy to spin the story up to throw some mud on Carbo and the other guy because con-promoter-rivalry.

Really?  Con-promoter rivalry?  I really would not be to worried if Mike was my competition in NY. 

4 hours ago, Comicbookscalping said:

Doesn't the video show Mike coming back to the Booth with the stolen goods?

Not any video that I have seen and I'm pretty sure I saw everything that was put out for public consumption.

5 hours ago, blazingbob said:
10 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Really?  Con-promoter rivalry?  I really would not be to worried if Mike was my competition in NY. 

Funnily enough, I read (one Facebook if I'm not mistaken) that this was Carbo's last Big Apple show. Has anyone been able to verify this?

11 minutes ago, shadroch said:
4 hours ago, Comicbookscalping said:

Doesn't the video show Mike coming back to the Booth with the stolen goods?

Not any video that I have seen and I'm pretty sure I saw everything that was put out for public consumption.

It wasn't the video footage that Reed's decision is based on. It's the Javits security report, which was done with the NYPD.

The security report at the end of the Bleeding Cool article states this:

"The preliminary on site interview / investigation  by NYPD implicates the owner of Vintage Movie Posters (Mike Carbonaro) as knowing that these thefts were occurring and that product was being brought back to his booth."