• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Carbo allowed back into NYCC?
5 5

178 posts in this topic

We only know what was in the police report. Which specifically stated that Mike knew the stolen goods were being brought back to his booth. We can speculate of if this is true or not, but one would think there must have been some kind of evidence to generate that statement.

I think there were two separate actions taken. One by the police, against Patz, who was working out of Carbonaro's booth, and another by Reed and Javits management against Patz and Carbonaro.

The article mentions Carbonaro, after interview with the police, knew what Patz did or was going to do and that the items were stolen. That may have come from Patz or Carbo. So the actions taken against Carbonaro, according the the article, may be something far more simple given that he wasn't the direct subject of the prosecution.

Being that Patz was working out of Carbonaro's booth, he undoubtedly had one of Carbonaro's convention badges. As SDCC, Reed and Wizard have all made clear, the booth owner is responsible for the actions of the people wearing that booth's badges at the show. If you sell your badges to random people and they commit a crime, break a rule, pull a fire alarm, run naked (except for the badge) through the convention, etc. the booth owner is going to run the risk of getting punished for being the catalyst for this person to be in attendance.

So, now you've got a criminal prosecution against Patz, who was most likely wearing a Carbonaro badge at the show, and Javits and Reed giving Carbo the death penalty for giving his badge to someone who used it to enter someone's booth without permission and remove items which resulted in a criminal prosecution and a subsequent plea deal.

And, yes, this was after the show ended but before the Eaglemoss booth was broken down. The "tradition of comic-con salvage" applies to the piles in the middle of the aisles, usually next to garbage cans, and NOT someone going into a booth that isn't broken down and helping themselves to items that are clearly not thrown away.

This is a great analysis of the situation. I think the part I bolded for emphasis nails it.

I had an interesting afternoon yesterday after sharing the Bleeding Cool article (which by the way, CBR has covered in a similar vein).

The person that reached out to me is someone who I respect. I was asked to delete the FB post, even though it was shared exclusively with my friends.

I complied, but urged the person to have his side assert their position, and demand Bleeding Cool and CBR retract their articles and/or any false/unproven statements if in fact this is a hit piece by NYCC against the named perpetrators of this theft.

Regardless of whether the named perpetrators of this alleged theft have bene cleared by NYPD, IMHO the security report (to be clear, this is not a Police report, but an internal Javits document) alleging Mike knew the thefts were occuring is the part that needs to be cleared up ASAP.

One further, I'm 100% with Chris on the exhibitor badges. Whenever I've been allowed to use them, I've always remained mindful that my actions would have a direct impact on the exhbitor, so to suggest anyone is blameless here is not going to cut it. I can sensibly understand the need for anyone wronged to go into damage control mode, but vetting the truth is only going to result in climbing out of an impossibly deep hole.

I'm just thinking it's possible that guy patz brought the stuff to mikes booth and said look what I found in salavage! Mike didn't go to someone's booth and take stuff so how would he know?

This is probably why they dropped it all. There appears to be a grey area between what you can take after a show and what you cant. Patz also is likely a first time offender of this, hence the adjournment if he doesnt get in any more trouble. Still no comment from carbo.

Didn't know carbo didn't actually sell comics himself. Thanks for info.

If you sell your badges to random people and they commit a crime, break a rule, pull a fire alarm, run naked (except for the badge) through the convention, etc. the booth owner is going to run the risk of getting punished for being the catalyst for this person to be in attendance.

That badge had better be in a lanyard ... :sick:

But if it wasn't that would mean they were holding it between....

oohhhhhhh

:sick:

If you sell your badges to random people and they commit a crime, break a rule, pull a fire alarm, run naked (except for the badge) through the convention, etc. the booth owner is going to run the risk of getting punished for being the catalyst for this person to be in attendance.

oohhhhhhh

Two pillows?

This was going to happen eventually with the parties involved and how they choose to operate. It is in everyone's best interest that this came to light with a police report instead of a personal interaction that would have devolved into he said/she said.

This is only my opinion and based on my personal interactions.

So after reading all this, it seems quite possible that Mike was banned simply because someone

using his badge was caught stealing stuff.

As of right now, we don't even have evidence that he was even present at his booth,do we?

I don't see him in any of the photos.

My friends dad had his Yankee season tickets pulled after they gave the tickets to a neighbor and the guys were caught smoking pot and then fought with security and a cop.

You are responsible for what people who are your quests do, but not necessarily guilty of their misdeeds.

I haven't been friends with Mike for over thirty years, and we were more friendly than friends even then. We were in a trade organization together, had some common friends and partied together at Peter Parkers bachelor party.

He is a hustler, eccentric as hell,ultra high energy, can rub a lot of people the wrong way but he is also always been a man of his word and someone I trust.

I sincerely hope I'm not mistaken.

oohhhhhhh

Two pillows?

Those aren't pillows!

This is precisely why I don't sell my badges I get from my buddy in the industry even if I can't use them all the days. If someone I sell to does something stupid it will reflect badly on him with his employer. Not worth the risk of burning him for a few bucks, would be very uncool.

So after reading all this, it seems quite possible that Mike was banned simply because someone

using his badge was caught stealing stuff.

As of right now, we don't even have evidence that he was even present at his booth,do we?

I don't see him in any of the photos.

My friends dad had his Yankee season tickets pulled after they gave the tickets to a neighbor and the guys were caught smoking pot and then fought with security and a cop.

You are responsible for what people who are your quests do, but not necessarily guilty of their misdeeds.

I haven't been friends with Mike for over thirty years, and we were more friendly than friends even then. We were in a trade organization together, had some common friends and partied together at Peter Parkers bachelor party.

He is a hustler, eccentric as hell,ultra high energy, can rub a lot of people the wrong way but he is also always been a man of his word and someone I trust.

I sincerely hope I'm not mistaken.

After reading the article. it is my opinion that Patz is a thief and Mike was knowledgeable of what Patz did. Officials of NYCC and Javits likely have additional information, and they have chosen to ban both individuals for life.

Maybe mike didn't know what that guy was doing. I'm pretty sure carbo is doing well with his sales that he wouldn't need to steal. He could easily sell a 20k book. Patz was probably just doing this to try to impress carbo. I hope carbo comments soon and sets things straight if that is the case. Silence implies guilt though if he never comments.

Because who wouldn't want to buy a $20k book from someone who's impressed by grand larceny...

Checking in from a Super Bowl party as the people around me are talking politics

After reading the reports and the personal stories of pm's, phone calls, and text messages, I have come to this conclusion.

Patz did it

Carbo knew it was happening and either turned a blind eye or acted as a safe house for the stolen goods.

There are very specific dealers and other interested parties that visit and lurk these boards that have a vested interest in making sure Michael Carbonaro is not spoken of in a bad way due to the NY and LI comic scene.

CGC can erase this story all they want - it does not seem to be something that is likely to be forgotten. This was the reporting of a comics related news story and nothing more. Fuel was added to the fire by deleting it.

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

C3sncKBWcAAU8pp.jpg

I decided this Moebius looked like Carbo. So that is new to me.

that's creepy... I did not say you are wrong... I just said it was creepy...