• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Carbo allowed back into NYCC?
5 5

178 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, the blob said:

does the javitz figure include those sub-levels where they do panels?

I don't know. They only list it as exhibit space. I would assume they would.

EDIT: I see someone else answered. I was wrong. Good to know they're expanding. They'll overtake SDCC once they increase the size of the Javits.

That's really going to light a fire under the SD organizers to expand the SD convention center.

Anybody know if there's any movement on that front?

Edited by VintageComics

20 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I don't know. They only list it as exhibit space. I would assume they would.

EDIT: I see someone else answered. I was wrong. Good to know they're expanding. They'll overtake SDCC once they increase the size of the Javits.

That's really going to light a fire under the SD organizers to expand the SD convention center.

I would imagine that would depend on what goes on at the Convention Center the other 50  weeks a year. I can't imagine any facility expanding simply for a one week show.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:
21 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I would imagine that would depend on what goes on at the Convention Center the other 50  weeks a year. I can't imagine any facility expanding simply for a one week show.

The SDCC is by far the largest event that happens at the SD convention center. IIRC it has double the population of any other event that happens at the con.

If expanding the convention center means they won't lose the Comic Con to Anaheim I suspect that's enough motivation for them to expand it.

No, that would be a reason not to expand it. Taxpayers  rejected a stadium there that would be used ten weeks a year, chasing their NFL  franchise out of town. Having prime SOCAL real estate sitting empty 50 weeks a year is much too wasteful. If half the space is only used once a week now, asking for more money to build more space that will sit equally empty would be truly wasteful.

If the people of SD wont support a football team,  why would they support a comic con.  Why should they?

No, that would be a reason not to expand it. Taxpayers  rejected a stadium there that would be used ten weeks a year, chasing their NFL  franchise out of town. Having prime SOCAL real estate sitting empty 50 weeks a year is much too wasteful. If half the space is only used once a week now, asking for more money to build more space that will sit equally empty would be truly wasteful.

If the people of SD wont support a football team,  why would they support a comic con.  Why should they?

To further your point, the San Diego Convention Center is already a waste of space...   Check out the calendar and expected attendance for each event.

https://visitsandiego.com/events

SDCC is estimated to host 130,000 but comparing that to other events it already appears as if the entire convention center is just a home for one four day show.  I don't know what the local businesses take in for it but it seems like a waste of money. 

I don't pretend to know the workings of the city of SD.

But I do know it's been a much debated topic for a few years because the show is now so crowded the city has trouble handling it.

Most major conventions look for ease of travel for its attendees. That's why Chicago and Cincinnati work, as they are midway from anywhere.  Orlando has a zillion flights in and out of it, as do Vegas and NY. Not San Diego.

San Diego has lost an NBA team, as well as its NFL team. I just don't see them opening their purse for a convention center that is already under-utilized.

I think he means dealers that just sell comics not other merch when he says straight up dealers

11 hours ago, shadroch said:

Most major conventions look for ease of travel for its attendees. That's why Chicago and Cincinnati work, as they are midway from anywhere.  Orlando has a zillion flights in and out of it, as do Vegas and NY. Not San Diego.

San Diego has lost an NBA team, as well as its NFL team. I just don't see them opening their purse for a convention center that is already under-utilized.

San Diego is a little more unique than most convention cities in that it is a destination city in and of itself. It's considered exotic by those of us who don't grow in in Southern California.

Orlando will have the edge though. Cheaper, easier to get to and they have the 2nd largest convention center in the country.

Yeah, not sure what's going on in SD with them losing sports teams. It's not like they don't have the money down there. They may just want to remain a laid back retirement town.

My first post on the new boards, lol.  So here is what i know about San Diego.  Yes, there are 130,000 attendees that come to the show (in addition to the vendors and all the passes they give out. A 10x20 booth gets you 8 badges with the option to buy 8 more, so you do the math there.)  Also, from what i heard from other people in the industry as well as people who are from San Diego, there are another 125,000 people who come to the city that weekend who can't even get into the show.  Reason is, there is so much going on outside the show.  SDCC bring A LOT of money to local businesses and the like.  Just speaking of the hotel situation, The same room at the Hilton Bayfront last year was $120 the week before and the week after.  During the week of the show??  $330.  Hotels are booked up miles and miles away.  Local restaurants have lines to get in.  I ordered a pizza once to my hotel, two hour wait.  So while the show is only one week of the year and the rest of the year might seem minimal as far as the convention center goes, my opinion, yes it pays to do everything you can to keep SDCC in San Diego.  Even if it means catering to just one show a year,

Jeff

On 3/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, Spidey 62 said:

Posture is important,  yes,  but I mean a booth with mostly comics.   Even if I don't find something at your booth.   All the dealers seemed to be in generally the same area.   Within the first three rows of the main hall doors,  and less than I would have imagined.   Since I don't make it a point to go to the BIG shows,  I am probably a bit out of touch with how many comic vs non comic dealers there are.   I prefer a show like Baltimore,  which I will be going back to soon,  that is more comic centric. 

+1

I've heard Baltimore and Charlotte are the shows to hit.  Would be useful to hear everyone else's opinion regarding shows whose focus is primarily comics.  

1 hour ago, HOTFLIPS said:

My first post on the new boards, lol.  So here is what i know about San Diego.  Yes, there are 130,000 attendees that come to the show (in addition to the vendors and all the passes they give out. A 10x20 booth gets you 8 badges with the option to buy 8 more, so you do the math there.)  Also, from what i heard from other people in the industry as well as people who are from San Diego, there are another 125,000 people who come to the city that weekend who can't even get into the show.  Reason is, there is so much going on outside the show.  SDCC bring A LOT of money to local businesses and the like.  Just speaking of the hotel situation, The same room at the Hilton Bayfront last year was $120 the week before and the week after.  During the week of the show??  $330.  Hotels are booked up miles and miles away.  Local restaurants have lines to get in.  I ordered a pizza once to my hotel, two hour wait.  So while the show is only one week of the year and the rest of the year might seem minimal as far as the convention center goes, my opinion, yes it pays to do everything you can to keep SDCC in San Diego.  Even if it means catering to just one show a year,

I've heard similar numbers. So you get an influx of 1/4 million new people for a week.

Prices for hotel rooms range from about $300-$400 a room for exhibitors to $400-800+ a room if you can find one available.

And yes, most local businesses are slammed around the clock including restaurants, hotels, airports, shipping, parking, rentals, taxis, bars, car and apartment rentals, etc.

Tourist sites like the Zoo, La Jolla, Old Town and Coronado also have spill over

It's quite an event.

I'm bumping this thread because I was wondering if Carbo was still banned from Reed Pop shows. I was at the Philly Keystone Comic show yesterday, and he was there. Much more laid back then usual, but he was hanging around a dealers booth in a rather quiet fashion. Just wondering if the ban might have been lifted.

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I'm bumping this thread because I was wondering if Carbo was still banned from Reed Pop shows. I was at the Philly Keystone Comic show yesterday, and he was there. Much more laid back then usual, but he was hanging around a dealers booth in a rather quiet fashion. Just wondering if the ban might have been lifted.

:popcorn: