• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Carbo allowed back into NYCC?
5 5

178 posts in this topic

I will see what happens once tickets go on sale. 

If I do not go this year though, then maybe that is not the worst thing in the world.

There is still:

1. eBay
  2. ComicLink
  3. Metropolis Comic / Comic Connect
  4. Heritage Auctions
  5. BigBadToyStore
  6. HasbroToyShop
  7. Entertainment Earth
  8. and so on... 

The one day ticket thing was almost predictable after they had started eliminating ticket types last years.  There used to be both a VIP and an unlimited ticket. Think the VIP allowed you to enter early and through the pro entrance, and the unlimited did that plus gave you priority seating at panels and certain exclusive signings and events.  So they went from having basically 7 tickets types to now having 3. The other thing is it significantly raises prices for a person that wants to go all four days, I think the four day was $115 last year and now it has basically become $195.  Regardless, I do not think attendance will drop at all due to this.

4 hours ago, drotto said:

The one day ticket thing was almost predictable after they had started eliminating ticket types last years.  There used to be both a VIP and an unlimited ticket. Think the VIP allowed you to enter early and through the pro entrance, and the unlimited did that plus gave you priority seating at panels and certain exclusive signings and events.  So they went from having basically 7 tickets types to now having 3. The other thing is it significantly raises prices for a person that wants to go all four days, I think the four day was $115 last year and now it has basically become $195.  Regardless, I do not think attendance will drop at all due to this.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but isn't the change intended to reduce attendance?  That was my interpretation of what the e-mail meant by the reference to construction at the Javits Center:  Reduced capacity at the venue means that they need to sell fewer tickets. 

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but isn't the change intended to reduce attendance?  That was my interpretation of what the e-mail meant by the reference to construction at the Javits Center:  Reduced capacity at the venue means that they need to sell fewer tickets. 

I think the change allows them to more accurately control how many people go, or at least estimate it better. If someone buys a pass for one day you can be pretty sure they are going but will someone go all 3/4 days or do they buy the pass for security and then only go thurs, sat and sunday for example.

1 hour ago, Bird said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I think the change allows them to more accurately control how many people go, or at least estimate it better. If someone buys a pass for one day you can be pretty sure they are going but will someone go all 3/4 days or do they buy the pass for security and then only go thurs, sat and sunday for example.

That's how I took it. Better control of the numbers.

20 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That's how I took it. Better control of the numbers.

Biggest thing the multi day pass did is give you flexibility.   I am fairly sure most 4 day pass holders do not go all four days. This is purely to get a better hold on the numbers. In theory it will also allow more people to attend.  Now they do not need to count those 3 or 4 day holders even if they are not there, this will allow them to allot more individual passes for each day.

Edited by drotto

I purchased a four day pass for last year's NYC Comic Con and attended all four days. One of the reasons I attended all four days was because of the panels that were given. What I'd like to know is, will a schedule appear before the individual days go on sale? If not, how will I be able to decide which day or days I would like to purchase?

5 hours ago, Bird said:
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Certainly possible, although it means they are dissembling about the role of construction at the Javits Center.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:28 PM, VintageComics said:

The Javits seems to be under construction perpetually.

Isn't it amazing that a movement that was once considered fringe and strange has become so big that even the largest convention centers in the country can't contain them?

What other cities contain larger convention centers?

I know that the Orange County Convention Center is pretty massive. I don't know that I've seen a larger one. It covers both sides of the International drive with bridges leading to various hotels around it.

EDIT: Nevermind, acc to Wiki it's the OCCC in Orlando right behind McCormick in Chicago.

The Orange County Convention Center (OCCC) is the primary public convention center for the Central Florida region. The center currently ranks as the second largest convention center in the United States (the biggest is McCormick Place in Chicago). The OCCC offers 7,000,000 sq ft (650,000 m2) of total space, 2,100,000 sq ft (200,000 m2) of which is exhibit space. The large complex is located on the south end of International Drive, a major tourist area in Orlando, Florida. Solar panels on the roof of the South Concourse provide 1 MW of power. On April 18, 2012, the American Institute of Architects's Florida Chapter placed the building on its list of Florida Architecture: 100 Years. 100 Places

By comparison SD is tiny. Literally 1/10 the size.

The SD convention center offers 615,700 sq ft (57,200 m2) of exhibit space. As of 2009 it was the 24th largest convention facility in North America

The Anaheim convention center has 813,607 square feet of exhibit space, which is why there are people pushing to move the SD show to Anaheim (about 1.5 hours driving away).

The Javits convention center has 840,000 square feet (78,000 m2) of total exhibit space .

Wowsers.

does the javitz figure include those sub-levels where they do panels?  some of those rooms hold many hundreds of people, have huge screens, etc.

javitz is now too small for NYCC.  they're now holding parts of NYCC off site. I was rushing to attend my friend's panel last year, got there, ran down to where it was the last year before that and realized it was no longer on site, it was being held at the hammerstein ballroom 10 minutes away.  grrr.  anyway, i missed it.

they probably need another 250,000 feet of space for NYCC not to be incredibly congested, just somewhat congested.

Edited by the blob

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

does the javitz figure include those sub-levels where they do panels?  some of those rooms hold many hundreds of people, have huge screens, etc.

javitz is now too small for NYCC.  they're now holding parts of NYCC off site. I was rushing to attend my friend's panel last year, got there, ran down to where it was the last year before that and realized it was no longer on site, it was being held at the hammerstein ballroom 10 minutes away.  grrr.  anyway, i missed it.

they probably need another 250,000 feet of space for NYCC not to be incredibly congested, just somewhat congested.

I read that the Javitz will have 500,000 square feet of exhibit space once the expansion is complete.  I believe they are opening yet another building on the south side across the street where the rail yard used to be located. They will then have bridges across the road. That square foot total does not include the panel and auditorium areas or the entrance area.

Edited by drotto

25 minutes ago, drotto said:

I read that the Javitz will have 500,000 square feet of exhibit space once the expansion is complete.  I believe they are opening yet another building on the south side across the street where the rail yard used to be located. They will then have bridges across the road. That square foot total does not include the panel and auditorium areas or the entrance area.

500,000 additional?

I think i remember reading about this a looong time ago.  i guess it's actually happening.

maybe they'll stick artists alley and actual comics in the separate space...

Edited by the blob

I went last year and I was very surprised at how few straight up comic dealers there were.   I probably shouldn't have been as I have been there before,  but the dealers seem to be dwindling and miscellaneous merchandise booths are multiplying. 

40 minutes ago, the blob said:

500,000 additional?

I think i remember reading about this a looong time ago.  i guess it's actually happening.

maybe they'll stick artists alley and actual comics in the separate space...

I was just thinking the same thing about Artist Alley, the blob.  You beat me to it.

1 hour ago, My young Padawan said:

I was just thinking the same thing about Artist Alley, the blob.  You beat me to it.

I believe they broke ground on the expansion recently, and modifications to the existing space are supposed to be done next year. The full renovation is supposed to be done 2021.

1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:

I went last year and I was very surprised at how few straight up comic dealers there were.   I probably shouldn't have been as I have been there before,  but the dealers seem to be dwindling and miscellaneous merchandise booths are multiplying. 

Define a "straight up dealer" since I was a dealer at the show.  Do we slouch?  Not meet your expectations?  

2 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

They're spread out though.

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Define a "straight up dealer" since I was a dealer at the show.  Do we slouch?  Not meet your expectations?  

Posture is important,  yes,  but I mean a booth with mostly comics.   Even if I don't find something at your booth.   All the dealers seemed to be in generally the same area.   Within the first three rows of the main hall doors,  and less than I would have imagined.   Since I don't make it a point to go to the BIG shows,  I am probably a bit out of touch with how many comic vs non comic dealers there are.   I prefer a show like Baltimore,  which I will be going back to soon,  that is more comic centric.