• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Carbo allowed back into NYCC?
5 5

178 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It wasn't the video footage that Reed's decision is based on. It's the Javits security report, which was done with the NYPD.

The security report at the end of the Bleeding Cool article states this:

"The preliminary on site interview / investigation  by NYPD implicates the owner of Vintage Movie Posters (Mike Carbonaro) as knowing that these thefts were occurring and that product was being brought back to his booth."

That's not the issue. Your fellow Canadian asked" didn't the video show Mike bringing  stuff back to his booth."  It doesn't, as far as I know. Have you seen a video that shows him?

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Have you seen a video that shows him?

I haven't. The only thing i saw was the Bleeding Cool article with stills taken out of the video footage.

Where there videos circulating?

Found them. Looks like they were removed from the Bleedingcool website.

I was under the impression the second image is him at the Carbo booth with the items. Or it could be his booth that he subleased from Carbo - point is, I am under the impression he went back to an area Carbo leased from NYCC directly after the theft.

jbJmU6z.jpg

YeExT53.jpg

I was under the impression the second image is him at the Carbo booth with the items. Or it could be his booth that he subleased from Carbo - point is, I am under the impression he went back to an area Carbo leased from NYCC directly after the theft.

That's not what you said though. You asked if there wasn't video of Mike taking stuff back to his booth. Other people, who were either Mikes guests or perhaps even workers were caught bringing stuff to Mikes booth, after Mike was gone.  I'm not defending Mike. I'm not sure what to make. Someone I trust says Mike was innocent in it, but another person I also trust says he isn't so innocent.

But, as far as I know, no photos or video have circulated  showing Mike in possession of, or taking any of the stuff.  Peoples reputations can be ruined by poorly chosen words.  The video and or screen caps don't show what you say they did. Doesn't mean he's innocent, by any stretch., but they certainly don't show him committing a crime.

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

That's not what you said though. You asked if there wasn't video of Mike taking stuff back to his booth. Other people, who were either Mikes guests or perhaps even workers were caught bringing stuff to Mikes booth, after Mike was gone.  I'm not defending Mike. I'm not sure what to make. Someone I trust says Mike was innocent in it, but another person I also trust says he isn't so innocent.

But, as far as I know, no photos or video have circulated  showing Mike in possession of, or taking any of the stuff.  Peoples reputations can be ruined by poorly chosen words.  The video and or screen caps don't show what you say they did. Doesn't mean he's innocent, by any stretch., but they certainly don't show him committing a crime.

You're right. I said Mike like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I meant to say Rob. And you are correct.

14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Funnily enough, I read (one Facebook if I'm not mistaken) that this was Carbo's last Big Apple show. Has anyone been able to verify this?

I don't know how true that is, but wasn't there a Big Apple / NYCBM a few years ago that was also supposed to be his last?  I would believe that as long as he is floating around the scene,  he will be,  at least,  part of a show. 

Edited by Spidey 62

12 hours ago, shadroch said:

Peoples reputations can be ruined by poorly chosen words.  The video and or screen caps don't show what you say they did. Doesn't mean he's innocent, by any stretch., but they certainly don't show him committing a crime.

People's reputations can also be affected by those they associate with.

It's my understanding that Patz was at Carbo's show promoting the LI and AC show. I didn't see him (or maybe I don't know to recognize him) but I was only there on Friday. Dave Arnold was also tat the show, I assume working along with Mike.

29 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:
14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Funnily enough, I read (one Facebook if I'm not mistaken) that this was Carbo's last Big Apple show. Has anyone been able to verify this?

I don't know how true that is, but wasn't there a Big Apple / NYCBM a few years ago that was also supposed to be his last?  I would believe that as long as he is floating around the scene,  he will be,  at least,  part of a show. 

I read it on Facebook - wish Id remembered who.

20 minutes ago, My young Padawan said:

The Big Apple Con was a very welcome alternative to the ridiculously overpublicized New York Comic Con.  Comic conventions were never meant to be tourist attractions.  I am very grateful to have achieved everything that I planned on achieving last Saturday.  I miss the old days.  Stop the hate.

Who is hating on the Big Apple Con in this thread?

11 minutes ago, My young Padawan said:
43 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Who is hating on the Big Apple Con in this thread?

Not a single person.

Then why did you say "stop the hate"?

After seeing the announcement from NYCC... 

I don't know if anyone of us are 'allowed' back at NYCC.

There will be no 3 and 4 day passes this year.   I usually go for sketches these days.  So if the artist is not ready with my sketch by the end of the day he says he will have it, I have to purchase a second ticket ? Whaaaaaa? 

I am wondering how this will impact pro passes and press passes.  I have been fortunate to get my pass through that avenue. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

There will be no 3 and 4 day passes this year.   I usually go for sketches these days.  So if the artist is not ready with my sketch by the end of the day he says he will have it, I have to purchase a second ticket ? Whaaaaaa? 

I am wondering how this will impact pro passes and press passes.  I have been fortunate to get my pass through that avenue. 

I was actually happy to hear this.  It should result in more tickets being available.  I typically only attend for two days.

45 minutes ago, My young Padawan said:

I was actually happy to hear this.  It should result in more tickets being available.  I typically only attend for two days.

Perhaps if they cap it but I have a feeling it is going to lead to more problems than they are used to already dealing with. 

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I usually go for sketches these days.  So if the artist is not ready with my sketch by the end of the day he says he will have it, I have to purchase a second ticket ? Whaaaaaa? 

Yup. Wasn't thought through very well as it will negatively benefit some people.

2 hours ago, My young Padawan said:
5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

They said they were taking this action because of construction at the Javits Center.  I assume that means that they are losing some floor space and need to restrict the number of tickets they sell.  

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

They said they were taking this action because of construction at the Javits Center.  I assume that means that they are losing some floor space and need to restrict the number of tickets they sell.

The Javits seems to be under construction perpetually.

Isn't it amazing that a movement that was once considered fringe and strange has become so big that even the largest convention centers in the country can't contain them?

What other cities contain larger convention centers?

I know that the Orange County Convention Center is pretty massive. I don't know that I've seen a larger one. It covers both sides of the International drive with bridges leading to various hotels around it.

EDIT: Nevermind, acc to Wiki it's the OCCC in Orlando right behind McCormick in Chicago.

The Orange County Convention Center (OCCC) is the primary public convention center for the Central Florida region. The center currently ranks as the second largest convention center in the United States (the biggest is McCormick Place in Chicago). The OCCC offers 7,000,000 sq ft (650,000 m2) of total space, 2,100,000 sq ft (200,000 m2) of which is exhibit space. The large complex is located on the south end of International Drive, a major tourist area in Orlando, Florida. Solar panels on the roof of the South Concourse provide 1 MW of power. On April 18, 2012, the American Institute of Architects's Florida Chapter placed the building on its list of Florida Architecture: 100 Years. 100 Places

By comparison SD is tiny. Literally 1/10 the size.

The SD convention center offers 615,700 sq ft (57,200 m2) of exhibit space. As of 2009 it was the 24th largest convention facility in North America

The Anaheim convention center has 813,607 square feet of exhibit space, which is why there are people pushing to move the SD show to Anaheim (about 1.5 hours driving away).

The Javits convention center has 840,000 square feet (78,000 m2) of total exhibit space .

Wowsers.

Edited by VintageComics