• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why the Message Board Upgrade?

39 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, rob_react said:

My guess is that one of the big drivers is that they wanted a site that worked well on mobile phones and tablets. The old layout was created almost two decades ago and didn't play well with the multi-device environment we operate in these days. 

As someone who does this stuff for a living, it's insane to me that the layout here hadn't changed in all that time. This layout is new in both the new-to-us sense and in the "new" sense of being an actual modern design. It's not perfect (nothing is) but it works on a phone, which makes me happy.

What we're experiencing is something that happens whenever anyone with a loyal fanbase makes a design change.  It's called change aversion and it happens with everyone all the time with every redesign. If your users don't hate your redesign, you don't have any users. 

Two things will happen- we'll get used to it and the design and features are going to be tweaked. It'll be great. Different, but great. 

Boom (worship)

If a better mobile experience was one of the drivers of the change I can see that, but the problem with responsive design is that it often sacrifices a superior design tailored For desktop or mobile in favor of a mediocre compromise that does neither especially well. Here mobile is improved at the desktop expense.  The argument has already been made that given the average user age and current viewing preferences that desktop is the primary UI preference. It's a compelling argument that cannot be ignored. Given how much commerce that takes place that involve hi Rez scans - the taking and viewing of such images really favor desktop and tablets.  If you want a good mobile experience, make an actual mobile app, or don't, but don't downgrade the UI for desktop without a solid business case.  Maybe there is one, maybe there isn't. In defense of the old farts on here that solidly hate the new boards, if they got the money and numbers, their point is valid. As for us Gen X'ers - we built the internet and will be the first to call wildly_fanciful_statement on millennial presumptions.  

:sumo:

2 hours ago, rob_react said:

My guess is that one of the big drivers is that they wanted a site that worked well on mobile phones and tablets. The old layout was created almost two decades ago and didn't play well with the multi-device environment we operate in these days. 

As someone who does this stuff for a living, it's insane to me that the layout here hadn't changed in all that time. This layout is new in both the new-to-us sense and in the "new" sense of being an actual modern design. It's not perfect (nothing is) but it works on a phone, which makes me happy.

What we're experiencing is something that happens whenever anyone with a loyal fanbase makes a design change.  It's called change aversion and it happens with everyone all the time with every redesign. If your users don't hate your redesign, you don't have any users. 

Two things will happen- we'll get used to it and the design and features are going to be tweaked. It'll be great. Different, but great. 

Amen, change is difficult.   We were on the old boards a long time and it's tough to transition to a new way of doing things.  

Give it a chance people.

40 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

My apologies Mr. Gore! You built the pipes and tracks for sure!

lollol Politics.....:sumo: Point on the way. Check your email:banana:

3 hours ago, rob_react said:

I've rolled out several iterations of a public website and while I think you're right, the operative word in your response is "guess."

From my experience, where the ball was dropped here is NOT in execution of the change, but in the rollout.  People will get used to the change... and I'm very impressed with how responsive they're being to constructive suggestions.  It'll work out in the end.

However?  If the rollout was preceeded by an announcement that said "Hey folks, with the new website here's a list of 10 new features / improvements to look foward to".... THAT would have a) stopped people from saying "why are they doing this?" b) had people focus right away on the positive aspects of the change rather than just stumble upon them (I still read things in posts now and go "oh, I didn't notice that... cool."), and c) in general have the users look at negative issues in a much more constructive light.

But when you're just dumped into an unfamilar situation... people tend to just lash out and look for the familar... and when they don't find it, their first instinct is to complain.  That could largely have been avoided.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Amen, change is difficult.   We were on the old boards a long time and it's tough to transition to a new way of doing things.  

Give it a chance people.

I'm trying dammit! 

Got my torches and pitchforks ready just in case. 

49 minutes ago, fmaz said:

However?  If the rollout was preceeded by an announcement that said "Hey folks, with the new website here's a list of 10 new features / improvements to look foward to".... THAT would have a) stopped people from saying "why are they doing this?" b) had people focus right away on the positive aspects of the change rather than just stumble upon them (I still read things in posts now and go "oh, I didn't notice that... cool."), and c) in general have the users look at negative issues in a much more constructive light.

But when you're just dumped into an unfamilar situation... people tend to just lash out and look for the familar... and when they don't find it, their first instinct is to complain.  That could largely have been avoided.

Well, there's this, which was previously pinned in high-traffic areas like Comics General for quite some time...

But I guess most people just ignored it. It's very obvious that many people ignored it, just by looking at the number of people who've had problems with their account migration.

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I believe there was a genuine interest in improving the message board experience and it was believed that a new board design would bring about a more positive experience for the users.  There are a number of features that I like VERY much on these boards.  I like the notification when I am tagged or quoted.  The search feature through PMs is another big plus.  

I believe that the layout will be tweaked over time so that borders are widened and there is less 'white' (which I am turned off by).  It seems sluggish in comparison to the old boards but that may be a result of the system still settling in.  I am taking a wait and see approach.  

Arch has already added in a number of features due to our suggestions and they are willing to listen.  For those that are making positive contributions and critiques on what is wrong with it, CGC appears to be listening.  To those that can just offer, "this sucks".  I don't know what to tell you other than what I tell those that are on my team.  If you think something is wrong or sucks, then it is fine to let me know.  However don't tell me something is flawed unless you have an idea on how to improve it or can help think up a solution. 

Could not agree more. Well said. 

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, there's this, which was previously pinned in high-traffic areas like Comics General for quite some time...

But I guess most people just ignored it. It's very obvious that many people ignored it, just by looking at the number of people who've had problems with their account migration.

Yeah, that's pretty good! I know I didn't read that in advance... and I wish I had.  That was obviously the correct sentiment, but hindsight proved that just pinning a post didn't work.  They would probably have been better served by also doing a blast PM and blast e-mail to users, if those were within their ability.  Any method possible to get the word out would have been worth it.  But yeah, reading that post? That's exactly what I'm taking about.  Anyone who reads that and still complains without giving the new board a chance? They just like to hear themself complain.

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

There's nothing wrong with some hot torches and sharp pitchforks.

hm  what a strange word, pitchforks

doh! I've been sharpening the torches and lighting the pitchforks on fire. 

2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:
5 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

There's nothing wrong with some hot torches and sharp pitchforks.

hm  what a strange word, pitchforks

doh! I've been sharpening the torches and lighting the pitchforks on fire. 

Actually, it's much less hazardous that way. hm

On 13/02/2017 at 2:44 PM, rob_react said:

A horse walks into a bar with a guitar looking glum. The barman says "why the long face?"

The horse says "I wrote this song called 'Dem New Boards Suck'. The chorus is great, but I don't like the rest of it" and proceeds to sing it. 

The barman listens to the song, ponders for a moment and then says "change a verse?"