• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

is this a one and one deal or is he doing more

Well, with the Peacemaker HBO Max spin-off already completed I bet there is talk of more.

Some even suggest Margot Robbie and James Gunn really hit it off so much over Harley Quinn he could end up with Gotham City Sirens.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

I'm rooting for this one, and was happy to hear the stories about it being the best thing James Gunn has done to date.  But I've got to say, the trailer shown at today's Black Widow showing leaves me with a big case of :facepalm:  (shrug):eyeroll::whatev:meh  zzz

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

I'm rooting for this one, and was happy to hear the stories about it being the best thing James Gunn has done to date.  But I've got to say, the trailer shown at today's Black Widow showing leaves me with a big case of :facepalm:  (shrug):eyeroll::whatev:meh  zzz

That's definitely the messaging across social media as well, with comparisons of the 2016 marketing campaign vs 2021. There was much more hype for the former.

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I thought that she was taking a break from HQ?

I think what I read recently is Margot Robbie noted she would love to play the character for years. But isn't sure what (if any) next production is planned.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if this comes down to WB has such a black eye over tampering, now they want to stay hands off of his work knowing he can always go back to Disney and post about a horrible TSS experience?

I comes down to Feige being an expert on the Marvel universe extending back to his childhood and virtually every other executive who has ever produced any superhero film knowing very little about the content they're producing.  Or put more simply--Feige's notes are good, whereas those from most executives are cringe-worthy.  :eek:

Anyone heard when the review embargo lifts?  I've searched twice over the last few weeks and been unable to find a date, but it's clear the meta-review sites have none to count yet.

Yeah, I think it's a combination of Feige being intelligently involved in the MCU process + WB backing off because of backlash from the Snyder/Ayer/Whedon stuff (plus, they're being merged).

Feige understands Marvel and general audiences. WB couldn't understand a concept as simple as At the Speed of Force.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:33 AM, fantastic_four said:

I comes down to Feige being an expert on the Marvel universe extending back to his childhood and virtually every other executive who has ever produced any superhero film knowing very little about the content they're producing.  Or put more simply--Feige's notes are good, whereas those from most executives are cringe-worthy.  :eek:

I remember Hugh Jackman noting when he was cast to play Wolverine, Kevin Feige hosted him at his home and shared all the comic books he had to build up his understanding of the character.

Do you need someone that fanatical over comic source material? Somewhat. Matthew Vaughn helped delivered Stardust, Kick-Azz, Kingsman 1-3, X-Men: First Class and created the -script for X-Men: Days of Future Past. with the latter, it is ignorant Fox executives that disrupted Vaughn's X-Men franchise plans when they saw the story he had written for the final leg in the story.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah, I think it's a combination of Feige being intelligently involved in the MCU process + WB backing off because of backlash from the Snyder/Ayer/Whedon stuff (plus, they're being merged).

Feige understands Marvel and general audiences. WB couldn't understand a concept as simple as At the Speed of Force.

I think you nailed it. This is a combination of the over-correction and lack of source comprehension.

But with someone like James Gunn, who is a comic book nut and very plugged into the Suicide Squad source material, he was given a lot of freedom here. Yet he is still depending on WB Marketing to promote the film, which are the same folks that have not been even mediocre contributors many times. So not surprised the SS trailers are not going over strongly.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, William-James88 said:

I doubt it. I think Legends 3 is what people will go with.

I think you are right. Even back in 2019 Gunn was asked for his inspirations for the movie, and he pointed to the more modern source material. And even called out John Ostrander, who he has since thanked for all his Copper Age contributions.

Instagram_JamesGunn_SuicideSquadInspo.jpg.6939c80b7b931f35f242126c6d7bf0f1.jpg

On the heels of his upcoming DC film The Suicide Squad, James Gunn is sharing how unimpressed he is with the current state of the superhero genre, calling the comic book adaptations “really dumb” and “mostly boring for me, right now.”

In a recent interview with The Irish Times, the Guardians of the Galaxy director shared that he thinks the genre needs to change things up and “bring in other elements” to avoid becoming stale. He points to the rise and fall of other movie genres, like war films and westerns, as proof that the genre’s future is “going to get really, really boring” if things don’t change.

“We know about the way cowboy films went, and the way war films went,” he said. “I don’t know, I think you don’t have to be a genius to put two and two together and see that there’s a cycle to those sorts of films and that the only hope for the future of the comic book and superhero films is to change them up. They’re really dumb. And they’re mostly boring for me right now.”

On 7/21/2021 at 5:57 PM, Callaway29 said:

I don’t disagree with him, but many have had the same intent and jumped the shark.

That's a very fair point. With the best intent they attempt to deliver something unique and fresh, and it turns into a forgettable mess or lackluster.

I like Hancock. I get what they attempted to achieve. But in the end it becomes messy because of its varying themes to make the audience look at superheroes differently.