• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Jon Berk Collection Hits the Auction Block
1 1

120 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I was going to fight for the LB Cole Mask Cover. He did this recreations back in the early 80s and advertised for them in the back of the CBG, supposedly only doing one of each of his covers for each type he would do (various sizes, mediums). The Mask 1 and 2 are im sure the homeruns, and this was by far the nicest I had seen.

But...the piece went from like 3k to 18k in a few hours. Yeah...no thank you.

It is an exceptional piece. Would this be the record price for a recreation?

8 hours ago, drdroom reborn said:

It is an exceptional piece. Would this be the record price for a recreation?

The Romita ASM 100 cover recreation went for $77,675 at Heritage in 2011 (I thought it went even higher - did this get adjusted lower post-auction?) and I know they've had at least a couple of Schomburg recreations go for mid-5 figures as well. 

Edited by delekkerste

Some results from this auction.

My favourite page was the one from FF #14, one of the most gorgeous action pages from these early issues I've ever seen.

Don Heck  - Avengers #11 page - with Spider-Man : 9200 USD

Steve Ditko  - Amazing Spider-Man #6 page 15 (Lizard) : 105.000 USD

Bill Everett - Daredevil #1 (no costume) : 37.500 USD

ack Kirby - Avengers #6 (masters of Evil) : 8.800 USD

Jack Kirby - Fantastic Four#3 page (no action) : 44.500 USD

Jack Kirby - Fantastic Four #14 (fantastic action sequence between Human torch, Thing and Submariner) : 38.500 USD

Jack Kirby - Hulk #4 page (Hulk and Rick Jones, both in all panels) : 43.500 USD  

Jack Kirby - Journey into mystery #89 : 25.000 USD 

Jack Kirby - X-Men #9 page (Avengers crossover, no action, not many characters) : 9.600 USD 

Jack Kirby - X-Men #2 (Vanisher only) : 9.466 USD

Jack Kirby - X-Men#2 - just two panels with X-Men in costume, no action : 14.100 USD

Bill sienkiewicz - Moon Knight #7 cover  - 12.400 USD (a real bargain)

Steve Ditko - Tales of Suspense #47 (Iron Man and Melter) : 10.200 USD

Don Heck - Tales of Suspense #64 - title page (Iron man) - 15.755 USD

Keith Pollard -Thor #289 cover (Thor fighting the Destroyer on the Bifrost) : 13.755 USD

Edited by Comic Art Factory

1 hour ago, buyatari said:

I'm tapped out and couldn't play along but I really enjoyed seeing the golden age artwork in this auction.

Does anyone have some results of the golden age pieces?

My tracked GA lots:

All New Comics #8 Cover (Schomburg):  $66,000

Archie Comics #4 page (Sahle):  $4,321

Hit Comics #22 Cover (Fox):  $9,300

Pep Comics #30 Cover (Montana):  $61,777

Phantom Lady (2nd series) #2 Cover (unknown):  $18,888

Planet Comics #1 Cover (Fine):  $146,444

Pocket Comics #4 Cover (attrib. to Joe Simon, might be Avison):  $19,600

Police Comics #9 Cover (Fox):  $15,900

Speed Comics #22 Cover (Simon):  $32,200

15 hours ago, Flambit said:

Does anyone know if Comic Connect allows access to their archives the way Heritage does?  I forgot about this auction and I really want to go though the highlights....

If you received the emails from c-connect that individually list each lot in the auction then you can use those links to see prices realized.

15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I was going to fight for the LB Cole Mask Cover. He did this recreations back in the early 80s and advertised for them in the back of the CBG, supposedly only doing one of each of his covers for each type he would do (various sizes, mediums). The Mask 1 and 2 are im sure the homeruns, and this was by far the nicest I had seen.

But...the piece went from like 3k to 18k in a few hours. Yeah...no thank you.

There were two recreations done of Mask 1 as another one sold (iirc, on comiclink) for approx $8k.  This was the first time I saw a duplicate recreation.

18 hours ago, Dumur said:

Is there any possibility to there being a "Jon Berk provenance" premium on these auctions. Admittedly, the majority of the stuff I am even looking at is in the low end of this collection, but the pieces I am watching are already at twice what dealers have similar pieces listed at.

I just think that any time you bring a quality grouping of anything that has some kind of interesting story to market, it does well.    Comics/art, whatever.      Many times you see it with pedigrees being sold in a big run, or heck even when an ebay seller finds a quality new collection and  lists it all at once.    

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My tracked GA lots:

All New Comics #8 Cover (Schomburg):  $66,000

Archie Comics #4 page (Sahle):  $4,321

Hit Comics #22 Cover (Fox):  $9,300

Pep Comics #30 Cover (Montana):  $61,777

Phantom Lady (2nd series) #2 Cover (unknown):  $18,888

Planet Comics #1 Cover (Fine):  $146,444

Pocket Comics #4 Cover (attrib. to Joe Simon, might be Avison):  $19,600

Police Comics #9 Cover (Fox):  $15,900

Speed Comics #22 Cover (Simon):  $32,200

For the ones I was interested in, those all sound to be about market without any enormous surprises.

I personally liked the Pep the best.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

There were two recreations done of Mask 1 as another one sold (iirc, on comiclink) for approx $8k.  This was the first time I saw a duplicate recreation.

Honestly Mask 1 and 2 i bet were the ones mostly requested. Ive seen preliminaries and ones done in grease pencil as well of Mask 2.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I just think that any time you bring a quality grouping of anything that has some kind of interesting story to market, it does well.    Comics/art, whatever.      Many times you see it with pedigrees being sold in a big run, or heck even when an ebay seller finds a quality new collection and  lists it all at once.    

True but some pedigree items retain some of that increased value Mile High etc.

This isn't true for comic art is it? Does anyone really care where the art has been ?

6 minutes ago, buyatari said:

This isn't true for comic art is it? Does anyone really care where the art has been ?

I don't think anybody cares where the art has been (except for with respect to who's drafting table it was created on).  

What I am getting at is that any time a listing or an auction of comics or art or wet napkins ;) can generate a little extra buzz with a story and oftentimes with significant selection and fresh or relatively fresh to market material (these things often go hand in hand), it helps.

I.e. If there's a bump for Berk's material I would argue its because of the nature of the sale, not because of the owner (as nice as he is said to be).

Edited by Bronty

14 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Comic pedigrees are a "thing" mostly because they are an indicator of exceptional qualities (e.g. ink reflectivity, color preservation, page quality etc.) that are only minimally accounted for in grading standards.  Those pedigrees that do not have those exceptional qualities do not bring a premium.

I have seldom/never heard the word pedigree with respect to original art ownership.  Rather, provenance is the term usually employed like it is in the fine art and antique world.  I personally don't pay much attention to provenance but it has on a couple occasions caused me to bid on an item that I might have otherwise overlooked.