• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Jon Berk Collection Hits the Auction Block
1 1

120 posts in this topic

Is there any possibility to there being a "Jon Berk provenance" premium on these auctions. Admittedly, the majority of the stuff I am even looking at is in the low end of this collection, but the pieces I am watching are already at twice what dealers have similar pieces listed at.

8 minutes ago, Dumur said:

Is there any possibility to there being a "Jon Berk provenance" premium on these auctions. Admittedly, the majority of the stuff I am even looking at is in the low end of this collection, but the pieces I am watching are already at twice what dealers have similar pieces listed at.

Hmm interesting hm

Care to give some examples?

Also, what is this "Extended Bidding" stuff that keeps happening? Is it to prevent snipes? I've put in two last second bids only to see the bid time increase by three minutes each time. It's weird. WIth the live Heritage auction I get it, but in this case where it's more like ComicLink, I find it weird. Good to know for future bidding though.

50 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Anytime you put a name to a specific collection, ie Jon Berk or Ethan Roberts collection at Heritage, you're always going to have higher prices with a pedigreed collection.

MI

With art? Weird.

I can see that happening with comics, as it'd be a way to set a copy apart from other similarly-graded copies. Every piece of OA is unique though and blah blah blah.... etc etc etc

Edited by J.Sid

1 hour ago, Dumur said:

Also, what is this "Extended Bidding" stuff that keeps happening? Is it to prevent snipes? I've put in two last second bids only to see the bid time increase by three minutes each time. It's weird. WIth the live Heritage auction I get it, but in this case where it's more like ComicLink, I find it weird. Good to know for future bidding though.

That's how their auction works, just like hakes.com, they really squeeze the max 

Malvin 

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

With art? Weird.

I can see that happening with comics, as it'd be a way to set a copy apart from other similarly-graded copies. Every piece of OA is unique though and blah blah blah.... etc etc etc

Yup, with art. 

Look at the prices achieved for the Ethan Roberts collection earlier this year. If not for the Pedigree and the quality, I doubt prices would have been as high as they were.

And let's not forget the Charles Martignette collection at Heritage.

I was going to fight for the LB Cole Mask Cover. He did this recreations back in the early 80s and advertised for them in the back of the CBG, supposedly only doing one of each of his covers for each type he would do (various sizes, mediums). The Mask 1 and 2 are im sure the homeruns, and this was by far the nicest I had seen.

But...the piece went from like 3k to 18k in a few hours. Yeah...no thank you.

2 hours ago, Dumur said:

Also, what is this "Extended Bidding" stuff that keeps happening? Is it to prevent snipes?

Yes.  Any bid received at the end of the auction automatically extends bidding by 3 minutes.  Think of it as quasi-live bidding. 

2 hours ago, Dumur said:

First time bidder too. Saw it come into effect.  First time I put in bids early and let it ride.  Saw it kick in as folks tried to bid at the end.  Definitely good to know for next time. 

On the positive side -won something.  Will share once it comes in.

21 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I was going to fight for the LB Cole Mask Cover. He did this recreations back in the early 80s and advertised for them in the back of the CBG, supposedly only doing one of each of his covers for each type he would do (various sizes, mediums). The Mask 1 and 2 are im sure the homeruns, and this was by far the nicest I had seen.

But...the piece went from like 3k to 18k in a few hours. Yeah...no thank you.

So just an observation (in general)- I always found my bids being biased by pre-auction prices.  So in this example if the piece was 3k - I would consider anything over 6k to be high.  This often held me back in winning.

I have since learned it's good to do research -as well as figuring out your max bid regardless of other bids.  In this example, it helped the 18k  bid achieve the goal of winning the auction. He didnt care about others. Only worried about what he could afford and knew how high he was willing to go.

8 minutes ago, Flambit said:

Does anyone know if Comic Connect allows access to their archives the way Heritage does?  I forgot about this auction and I really want to go though the highlights....

Perhaps comic afficionado will write an article.

32 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Perhaps comic afficionado will write an article.

I would like to see the past sales also.CC is still one of the most difficult sites to navigate but I'm staring to get the hang of it.  Does anyone know what that Kirby , Sgt.Fury page went for?

1 hour ago, Flambit said:

Does anyone know if Comic Connect allows access to their archives the way Heritage does?  I forgot about this auction and I really want to go though the highlights....

I'm not sure if they wil be on the searchable part of the site but the ones that are in their CAF gallery take you straight to the auction results. It isn't all of the lots but yours might be in there.