• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, october said:

Does anyone else hate extended bidding? Cause I hate extended bidding. A lot. 

Nah, i love the extra time and the countdown clock that goes with it.

It actually gives me time to analyze the realized prices on Heritage, check the Overstreet for their prices to determine the premium or multiple I would be paying, check the SI for the book in the Gerber Photojournal, see what Chuck's MH catalogue says, and compare my next potential bid against similar surrounding books that have just ended or still going to ensure that I am not overpaying for what I am bidding on.  (thumbsu

On top of that, it also gives me time to hit the fridge for some food and refreshments which was exactly what I was doing when the AMF's hit the extended bidding.  lol

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

well, I'm done watching for the evening...

will do it again tomorrow, and the next night, and the next night and the next night lol

The "Berk Buzz" is what I am calling this evening. It has been a lot of fun. I think I have 12 PM chats going, and 10+ auction pages open watching. Great fun.

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

It actually gives me time to analyze the realized prices on Heritage, check the Overstreet for their prices to determine the premium or multiple I would be paying, check the SI for the book in the Gerber Photojournal, see what Chuck's MH catalogue says, and compare my next potential bid against similar surrounding books that have just ended or still going to ensure that I am not overpaying for what I am bidding on.  (thumbsu

Good call. Those 30 day auctions don't give me nearly enough time to do my research. 

You are like those guys cramming in the hallway 20 minutes before the Bar exam starts. 

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Fought long and hard for the Planet 37 Lost World splash.  I was winning the whole last day but extended bidding took me down eventually.  :frown: :|

Congrats to the winner :hi:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Anybody here win the Planet 37 Lost World splash? 

:hi:

:foryou:

I pretty much figured you were my tango partner in that dance! 

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe if the next increments are by $2,000, it would then forced his competitor to go to $397K on his next bid in order to top yours.  If he left it at $393, he would be the one that would have to go to $397 to get the top bid. 

At least that's my take on his bidding strategy.  hm

Could be. hm 

1 minute ago, Zolnerowich said:

Does the banana mean you won the Gale Allen OA, or are you just happy to see us? :kidaround:

I wasn't sure either. I am hoping it is because he won the Gale Allen page ( because then I know who has it for future pry barring...)

1 hour ago, october said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Good call. Those 30 day auctions don't give me nearly enough time to do my research. 

No way would I even want to attempt that since it would be a massive undertaking and an absolute waste of time for most of the lots I would be interested in to do any type of detailed analysis.  No problem with doing a quick preliminary analysis to get a general idea, but really nothing beyond that to start.

Especially since almost all of the books I am interested in would already be well past my price range by the time the extended bidding time period starts.  Seeing what's left at the end allows me to focus right in on that book and ignore all of the other ones.

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Johnny545 said:
2 hours ago, sagii said:

:whatthe: 

What I was saying was there was no bidding at the end, the book had been at 38.5k for a few days.  Last bid was Saturday I think.

I certainly hope that I didn't jinx the results for this book with my comments from last Saturday:

On 6/10/2017 at 4:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Although this is definitely a great cover, but I simply don't see $38.5K or whatever it will sell for "worth of goodness" in this book here.  Especially when you have a slabbed 9.0 Larson copy and another unslabbed supposedly NM copy out there somewhere.  But to each, there own.  (shrug)

If so, I do apologize although $38.5K seems to be a very strong price for the book from my point of view.  Especially when you consider that it finished up at at something like over 20X condition guide price.  :whatthe: 

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, october said:

After 25 minutes of extended bidding on the AMF 2.2, I am out. Congrats to the winner of this endurance contest, whoever you are. 

2600 pretty cheap, even for the conserved...

How about the AMF V2#1?

A super rare Centaur that I really wanted to pick up.  Unfortunately it blew right past my top end and finished up at $3,800.  :censored:  :frown:  :cry:

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I wish I could say I won the Planet Comics 1 page, but alas. I even tried for 2 of the Splash pages, but lost out on those as well being under bidder on the Mars splash to Planet 24.

With great delight I can say I did win this page which has some great panels. I am very happy.

pla1.1386a[1].jpg

:applause:Tick-clickack! Tsss! Tsss!

3 hours ago, october said:

Does anyone else hate extended bidding? Cause I hate extended bidding. A lot. 

Because you're not getting any sniping bargains? :baiting:

Extended bidding doesn't bother me in the least as a bidder.  I know exactly what my maximum is, I put it in and then let it ride.  I don't follow the "live" bidding at all.  If I win, I win.  If I lose, I lose.

As a seller, I would absolutely love the extended bidding.