• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Thank very much for the help, but here is where I am confused the books I'm looking at have small amounts of glue and are prior to 1950, or are you saying those with the blue labels were graded earlier?

Are you saying the small amounts of glue prior to 1950 have purple labels? Berk's books were only recently graded as far as I know.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

Thank very much for the help, but here is where I am confused the books I'm looking at have small amounts of glue and are prior to 1950, or are you saying those with the blue labels were graded earlier?

Don't believe this would be the case as I believe all of Jon's books were just freshly slabbed for this auction here.  :gossip:

Just now, lou_fine said:

Don't believe this would be the case as I believe all of Jon's books were just freshly slabbed for this auction here.  :gossip:

I had heard that, but I think I found a few with older numbers. Not the Mile Highs, just random books, so I was not sure.

I have a very pretty Comic Cavalcade #1 in a blue label with a "small amount of glue" designation, but I'm looking at a mixture here.

27 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Can someone who knows more than I do about this stuff (probably 99% of you;) 

Explain why some of the books have "small amount of glue on cover" with a blue label and some have the same designation with a conserved label and some with a purple label? 

I've been comparing and at first I thought that the purples were older slabs, but I just saw a purple label that said "small amount of glue on centerfold" in a purple label, with the notes as "C-1", and that is the more recent designation.

There are tons of books with glue in this auction. Jon must feel the same way I do, a drop of glue is not something that would keep me up at night.

I saw that too. It seems a head scratcher at times as to what ends up with a conserved label, and what ends up with a restored. One would think that a small amount of glue at the centerfold would be less "restoration" than spine splits sealed, and cover reinforced designations that get a conserved label. The C-1 designation would indicate poor quality of minor work, so perhaps the glue has stained the centerfold or something along those lines. 

The blue label for a tiny amount of glue seems to be for very small amounts that don't appear to have served any real purpose in terms of sealing tears, or re-attaching anything, but were perhaps preventive in intention - concern that wear at the staple holes would lead to tearing. Just a guess on my part. An argument could still be made that these should still get a conserved label. As far as I'm concerned, tape, which shows up on books up to FN at least, is more of a drawback than glue when it comes to "fixing" things, and regardless of label color, should impact the value at least as much as glue, but that's not what the market usually  decides.

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Are you saying the small amounts of glue prior to 1950 have purple labels? Berk's books were only recently graded as far as I know.

Here is an example. I'm high bidder, so I didn't want to show it, lol...but what the heck. Someone else will probably outbid me anyway.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=715728

Now, maybe there is a difference between "small" and VERY small, or very minor. I should do a chart, but I'm busy.

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I saw that too. It seems a head scratcher at times as to what ends up with a conserved label, and what ends up with a restored. One would think that a small amount of glue at the centerfold would be less "restoration" than spine splits sealed, and cover reinforced designations that get a conserved label. The C-1 designation would indicate poor quality of minor work, so perhaps the glue has stained the centerfold or something along those lines. 

The blue label for a tiny amount of glue seems to be for very small amounts that don't appear to have served any real purpose in terms of sealing tears, or re-attaching anything, but were perhaps preventive in intention - concern that wear at the staple holes would lead to tearing. Just a guess on my part. An argument could still be made that these should still get a conserved label. As far as I'm concerned, tape, which shows up on books up to FN at least, is more of a drawback than glue when it comes to "fixing" things, and regardless of label color, should impact the value at least as much as glue, but that's not what the market usually  decides.

That might make sense, and would upset me horribly...terribly, I'd be up every night worried about a book having a small stain at the centerfold that is already in a plastic prison.

NO one should bid on any of them.

The Horror of it;)

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Here is an example. I'm high bidder, so I didn't want to show it, lol...but what the heck. Someone else will probably outbid me anyway.

Now, maybe there is a difference between "small" and VERY small, or very minor. I should do a chart, but I'm busy.

Hmmmm - on my end, it still shows I'm the high bidder.

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

That book is likely to be won by someone who will get it into a blue label.

1 minute ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Anybody here who dares to outbid our Sha on this 'un will answer to me G.A.tor. :sumo:

If people don't outbid me on a bunch of stuff, I'll worry. I just told my husband what I bid, he said he didn't care. I said...but everyone's wife is going to be upset.

He said he's not a "wife".

Just now, skypinkblu said:

If people don't outbid me on a bunch of stuff, I'll worry. I just told my husband what I bid, he said he didn't care. I said...but everyone's wife is going to be upset.

He said he's not a "wife".

You mean your husband is a house?!!!