• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Pickie said:

Great piece!

JB still has it in his caf gallery and there he put a "(?)" behind "house ad": http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=37338

I searched to see if I could find it in any published venue...and couldn't either... had it of been a published piece, I would certainly have gone after it much stronger!

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks!  

Last one.

ski5.1a.jpg

I nabbed the Captain Battle, Great Comics- Zarro, and Shock Gibson buttons. Really thought that Shock Gibson button would cost much more.

Tec 27 is up tonight. It will be interesting to compare the hammer price to the 393k for the Action 1. The Action is a far superior copy, conserved rather than restored.  If the Tec approaches it at the hammer, within the same auction, what does that say about the market for the two books? I've been saying for a while now that the books are probably equals.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

CC really pushed this collection hard....going for the world record.....they did a great job with these results and put them on par with Ha.com  

I really think the bidding format is superior to CLINK and maybe even better than HA for sellers as it ensures bidders have the maximum opportunity to bid. 

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I was lucky enough to get the one signed by J. Jonah Jameson to Peter Parker,  and this.

fan65.1a.jpg

Love this, BIG congrats! I don't even remember seeing it before. I may have to go back and look at stuff again;)

3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I really think the bidding format is superior to CLINK and maybe even better than HA for sellers as it ensures bidders have the maximum opportunity to bid. 

Agree 100%. Also, the lots close in the evening, which is good for most people as far as work schedules.

1 minute ago, twmjr1 said:
4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Is anyone's life boring enough to have been keeping tally of how much Berk's collection has gone for?  

I'll bet Berk has!

If my wife is any indication at all , then I would say Berk's wife more so than Berk himself.  lol

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Love this, BIG congrats! I don't even remember seeing it before. I may have to go back and look at stuff again;)

I wanted this, got blown out of the water. Congrats to the winner.

Can someone who knows more than I do about this stuff (probably 99% of you;) 

Explain why some of the books have "small amount of glue on cover" with a blue label and some have the same designation with a conserved label and some with a purple label? 

I've been comparing and at first I thought that the purples were older slabs, but I just saw a purple label that said "small amount of glue on centerfold" in a purple label, with the notes as "C-1", and that is the more recent designation.

There are tons of books with glue in this auction. Jon must feel the same way I do, a drop of glue is not something that would keep me up at night.

We can crowd source this.  The total for the first 40 lots (inclusive through BLUE BEETLE 1939-50 Issue #2 Recreation Art ) is $254,147.

57 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I searched to see if I could find it in any published venue...and couldn't either... had it of been a published piece, I would certainly have gone after it much stronger!

As you are my official source of all things Centaur I will take that to the bank.  I noticed it is the full mask Fantom so that puts it on the early side.  Perhaps either a prototype piece shown to the publisher or an unused cover?

24 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Can someone who knows more than I do about this stuff (probably 99% of you;) 

Explain why some of the books have "small amount of glue on cover" with a blue label and some have the same designation with a conserved label and some with a purple label? 

I've been comparing and at first I thought that the purples were older slabs, but I just saw a purple label that said "small amount of glue on centerfold" in a purple label, with the notes as "C-1", and that is the more recent designation.

There are tons of books with glue in this auction. Jon must feel the same way I do, a drop of glue is not something that would keep me up at night.

Back in the beginning of CGC, they decided to give blue labels to books with small amount of glue or ct as long it was prior to 1950. Why? So many 40's books had tiny amounts, including Mile Highs, that if they put them into purple holders the Golden Age market would crash with the market aversion to purple holders. PLOD after all. 

42 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I think you could argue it both ways.  3 minutes gives you time to deliberate, as well as move on or get distracted.  HA gives you a shorter time which allows for less rational decision making and adrenaline-driven bidding.  The problem I have with comicconnect is the inability to isolate bidding.  When there are lots varying in closing time due to extended bidding, things get crazy to track & I find things lost in the shuffle.  It hasn't been a problem for me before when I chose only a few things to go after.  But with a few hundred items I like, many within the same title, it's a little crazy.  

6 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Back in the beginning of CGC, they decided to give blue labels to books with small amount of glue or ct as long it was prior to 1950. Why? So many 40's books had tiny amounts, including Mile Highs, that if they put them into purple holders the Golden Age market would crash with the market aversion to purple holders. PLOD after all. 

Thank very much for the help, but here is where I am confused.  The books I'm looking at have small amounts of glue and are prior to 1950, or are you saying those with the blue labels were graded earlier?

Edited by skypinkblu
Sometimes I wonder if I'm speaking English;)