• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
22 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

and the possessor of a full run of funny stuff leaves himself out; stop with all the stoopid false modesty, please.

Ahem, and what about you, modesty pants? :taptaptap:

After his auction bill comes in are you sure he'll still have pants? hm

1 hour ago, sagii said:
1 hour ago, edowens71 said:

:whatthe:

I'm just recently getting up (on a day off) and read that but thought that must be a typo, or i'm not fully awake. :D

Well, somebody had to step up and help fund the man's retirement! :taptaptap:

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

No wonder so many of us kept getting that pesky "You've been outbid" message :baiting:

Just now, sagii said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

No wonder so many of us kept getting that pesky "You've been outbid" message :baiting:

:sorry:

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

After his auction bill comes in are you sure he'll still have pants? hm

Regardless, he will maintain his modesty behind a winning smile.

A modest man with much to be modest about?

Oh, wait, that was this guy.

1ae5455a-c732-4eec-81e0-7f360224f7b5_zps

On 2/25/2017 at 7:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

I would to address your points one by one

1- Yea, JB is selling his books because he loves us......you don't have be a prophet to "follow the money" that is the rule...when making a conclusion following his actions, if he was such a hero he would donate his collection to the George Lucas Museum...NOW, that would be impressive and be given top status in this hobby.

2-I never said  comic book collecting is going to end, hero's are becoming more popular around the world be evidenced of Saudi 1st comic book convention...what I am saying is NO Market can sustain continued upward price growth forever, factored in by the demise of the physical media reducing the number of  serious collectors competing for the same comic book.

3-Inflaction is real, the effects inflation are to destabilize the economy and cause  you economic  damage, I will give you an example..here in san diego they raised  the prices of a "poke bowl" by 1 dollar on Jan 2...I asked why, its minimum wage hikes, here the next 5 years or so...now inflation is the hidden destroyer of the value of YOUR MONEY..especially at 1/2 % a year the bank pays...you can buffer with real estate because you can increase the rent as time goes on etc to ward off monetary erosion of value. Comic books do generate income, they sit there like gold, silver, diamonds and cost you money to store at the bank. Comic books are not necessary the best asset to own in a economic downturn, even if real estate goes down, the income will be still be there which will help you last to the cycle that economy has become, since the 1930's depression hit this county hard.

4-Was it always about the money you ask...in my opinion not before 1970.....the Overstreet price guide really told hold in 1972 and price increases were "slowly" built up in the hobby..essentially organized  the comic book market was created and everybody who was somebody...got a copy of the price guide...money has always been in the equation since that time,now my motivations in buying and selling for a profit back then was to "make my collection better" very few serious collectors were in the Business..there was no CC, no Ha.com billion dollar companies back then in the market...but as prices built up more and more dealers were born as opposed to simple corner book stores." Cashing in" everybody always looks at the exit..you  can buy an overpriced book but today you GPA and Ha results ,etc  Back in 1972 you just as today always consider the "exit" before you buy or look to the future to avoid a substantial loss of cost of buying it, now we did not have plastic containers widgets , so some there were some collectors who bought the book to READ IT...I know in a CGC world you cannot do that...back in 1972 you could and did.

5- You can buy whatever you want, but as JB did..timing is everything, and we are now nearing the top of the comic book market in terms of affordability as well as number of collectors, that is real collectors who are here to stay. CGC has created new generation of "investor's whether it was the impossible collection owner who owns two action 1 at 9.0 or people looking to make a profit in a short term hold situation...the world is a different place...here is my point..if it was 1972 and you were buying comics YOUR MONEY WAS SAFE...real collectors controlled the market...that is not the same today with price inflation at 3x guide, and the big books whose price is out of the real collectors reach....this investment element can turn on us at any time.....just like silver at 50 bucks an a pop back  with "hunt bros". Folks, these  people don't care, comic books and comic art are widgets to sold and speculated on..and they could give a "rat's assss" about our comic book world tomorrow and never look back when the  $$$ are not there for them to make a profit. Now when the rats leave the sinking ship...where is that gonna leave us..with the real hard core collectors who give a dammmm but do not necessarily have the funds to pay Imvestment prices for comic books and art.

Today, one must  be safe,sane, and look to the future on any purchases in this "investment" age of comic book collecting, and like JB realize that every  commodity market has a top and bottom...clearly we are near top.

Clearly you've thought this out and there is much to agree with.   But I would not lump all comics together and would say we might be near top or even further with some books, but I'd say that some books and even categories are still quite undervalued, while others remain hard to value and fluctuate.   One thing to consider is that as big as this auction was (7 million I heard?)  that number would not impress in the fine art world or even the fad-of-the-day modern art world.   In fact the total of all the big comic auctions in a given year doesn't yet equal the sort of numbers we see for individual pieces of art.     And another thing to consider is that the comics films not only continue to be huge worldwide but we are still seeing big grosses for examples of questionable quality.   Some smart people have predicted that comics-related entertainment would see an arc up -- and down -- that is similar to what we saw with Westerns.   I would argue that comics-related entertainment has more diversity of tone and style.   But, even if I agree for sake of argument, if comics-related entertainment follows the path of the Western it will be one of the biggest forces in film and other media for about 70 years.   

Edited by bluechip

15 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Clearly you've thought this out and there is much to agree with.   But I would not lump all comics together and would say we might be near top or even further with some books, but I'd say that some books and even categories are still quite undervalued, while others remain hard to value and fluctuate.   One thing to consider is that as big as this auction was (7 million I heard?)  that number would not impress in the fine art world or even the fad-of-the-day modern art world.   In fact the total of all the big comic auctions in a given year doesn't yet equal the sort of numbers we see for individual pieces of art.     And another thing to consider is that the comics films not only continue to be huge worldwide but we are still seeing big grosses for examples of questionable quality.   Some smart people have predicted that comics-related entertainment would see an arc up -- and down -- that is similar to what we saw with Westerns.   I would argue that comics-related entertainment has more diversity of tone and style.   But, even if I agree for sake of argument, if comics-related entertainment follows the path of the Western it will be one of the biggest forces in film and other media for about 70 years.   

I think for sure a lot of the more common stuff has to be near its peak.  All this signature series stuff, last months hot book, common comics slabbed to get 9.8's.  Lot of the bronze and 1980's stuff  Heck probably even a lot of silver age keys especially the low to mid grade stuff.  Amazing fantasy 15 in vg for $25K?  Yes the stuff that there are hundreds to tens of thousands of copies , they would get crushed if the current boom slows down.  Speculators sell out and flee soon as there is even a dip.  Back in the early 1990's everybody was convinced sports cards was like printing money.  That didnt last.  A lot of people who collect now are noobs who will get pissed and leave in a hurry if there is a even a little dip.  You saw it in droves when the bottom fell out of new comics back in the early to mid 1990's.

I wouldn't be concerned with the better Golden Age books as much.  What would concern me is those that collect genres where there is no new blood coming in.  No offense to anyone who collects pre hero DC, centaurs etc but where will new interest come from?  The characters that are still around I get a very small percentage of collectors will trickle into collecting early appearance of their favorites.  The cool covers will do well.  Sexy chicks, macabre horror covers, WWII books with blatant violence.  You might have enough selling points to get a 30-40 year old with some disposable money to sway them to buy some older stuff .

When things are bad its hard to see good times ahead  Likewise when things are good maybe too good its never going to end, or is it?