• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I think the "exit strategy" part of the equation is going to be very hard to reconcile for this auction. So much of the bidding was made with no plan to ever sell. When you are competing against that the exit strategy goes out the window. That is why those rare cases where folks overlooked a book make will likely make that book look like a bargain down the road. 

Exactly, a lot of these books were "if I ever lose my mind and sell everything books" , I'm keeping these;) I won 3 Timelys I'll post another time. 3 books I've wanted for years. I'm normally very practical, but when my "max" bids got overtaken, I just said "what the heck" and upped them.

I'm sorry I didn't bid higher on the Caps, but I knew that I was going after things later in the Alphabet.

Jon,

When the dust settles will you gives us all your take on the auction? What your feelings were watching it unfold, any surprises (or disappointments) for particular books, your thoughts on where the market is headed (general trends, etc). I would love to get your take on it all. Thanks for an exciting several days btw!! It was an auction event that will not be forgotten

1 hour ago, jbcomicbox said:

Note that there is more information about this book on the write up I did on the catalogue for Page 158.  It is on the page describing Motion Picture Funnies Weekly.   I hope you find this helpful for the background of this book and how it ties into other Jacquet  Funnies, Inc books of this era.     jbcomicbox

Thanks Jon (thumbsu  a boardee sent me a scan of the page so I could read it. 

Looks like this thread is finally winding down. What a ride! Even the lowly Robot Man scored a few books. I didn't "win" anything. I paid well for the pleasure. But I know when I receive my books, the cost will be the last thing on my mind. I  know now why I rarely bid in these big auctions but this one was special. Congrats to all who scored some great books. And, a big thanks to Jon for putting together such a monumental collection and allowing us all to own a piece of history.

On 6/16/2017 at 7:40 PM, CrocHntr said:

Nice one.  I so wanted to take a shot at those.  Congrats on a beauty.

I  am curious to know how much the Marvel Man, Popular Comics sold for, but I can't find the auction results on the Comic Connect Web site.  Are the sold prices available to people to who didn't bid on them? 

Edited by Comicsarefun
typo

On 6/17/2017 at 9:54 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 6/17/2017 at 5:24 PM, Dr. Love said:

This is a disgusting rumor spread by an envious little man, an attention troll.  I know the likes of him!

On a serious note - a question of strategy for you big macher GA guys - I was bidding on the Weird Comics 1, a beautiful conserved 9.0.  As it crossed $6000 I got the distinct feeling it was just me and this other guy, which got me nervous at a lack of participation.  I folded.  Shouldn't this book have gone for more than $6200?  Isn't Conserved the new Universal?  What am I not understanding?

My question is why would having a lack of participation get you nervous? I wish there was a lack of participation on the books I was bidding on. That would have made me giddy and emboldened me with the possibility that I would actually win.

I believe he is talking from the point of view that after a certain point, it is clearly only himself and one other bidder that is going after the book.  There is no other third person or more that is coming in to raised the bids.

I clearly got that feeling when I went after some of the rare and HTF Centaur books.  Especially with some of the non-high grade copies which had less than a handful of copies on the census.  For example, once the book hit something like $1,500 or already at multiples to condition guide, it was crystal clear to me that every other increment after that was being done by myself with no other bidder coming in besides just that one single competing bidder.  So, raising it by another $1,000 just to win it at $2,500 or more does not meant that is the new current market value.  The new market value might only be $1,500 or at the point where the 3rd bidder dropped out, if you happen to resell the book in the near future.  hm

On 6/17/2017 at 6:35 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 6/17/2017 at 4:38 PM, lou_fine said:

I think all of these figures are way too low, as I believe it's quite possible to see this as a record comic book auction that could even pass the $10M mark.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Nowhere near my friend, sorry. For that, the BIG 3 would have had to be blue.

I think GAtor's estimate might come close though. My estimate was on comic book sales only, forgot the art part. doh!

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I'd have to go back and have another look at the BW books to make a good comparison.  You may be right, but in the end the total for Berk's collection is whatever it turns out to be and if it's higher than the BW total ($3.5 million), then it gets enshrined in the official comic auction record book Bedrock keeps in a shoe box in a back bedroom. 

Ok, you guys are right since I may have been a bit overly enthusiastic about these auction results.  :facepalm:

But it will definitely be much higher than the BW total of $3.5M and I could see it even getting into the $6M to $7M range without too much problems at all.

Especially when you consider that the 3 big Fox runs along with the Action 1 and the 'Tec 27 alone accounts for over $2M just on its own.  By adding in a few of the Centaur runs, the Fox Science run, the Silver Streak run, the remaining Action and 'Tec books, the 2 Cap's and Subby 11, along with the first 40 pieces of OA already identified earlier by Adam, coupled with another 4 pieces of OA noted by Scoop in their weekly newsletter, you are already over the BW $3.5M total just for these lots alone.

Now, it's up to you guys to add in the rest of the over 2,650 additional lots still to go :whatthe: :whatthe: in order to come up with an estimated grand total for this auction.  :flipbait:

Or just leave it up to the boys at Metro and CC as I am sure they will want to hype these auction results to the max.  :whistle:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I believe he is talking from the point of view that after a certain point, it is clearly only himself and one other bidder that is going after the book.  There is no other third person or more that is coming in to raised the bids.

I clearly got that feeling when I went after some of the rare and HTF Centaur books.  Especially with some of the non-high grade copies which had less than a handful of copies on the census.  For example, once the book hit something like $1,500 or already at multiples to condition guide, it was crystal clear to me that every other increment after that was being done by myself with no other bidder coming in besides just that one single competing bidder.  So, raising it by another $1,000 just to win it at $2,500 or more does not meant that is the new current market value.  The new market value might only be $1,500 or at the point where the 3rd bidder dropped out, if you happen to resell the book in the near future.  hm

Always the risk in an auction format, sometimes those two bidders do help reset FMV, but other times it's just auction fever.