• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
48 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

what the dickens do we do now? What follows?

We wait until the next auction, chirp about how lame the selection is, and bid...

^^

9 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

My exit strategy on it and all books I have purchased over the years is the same. If it comes time to sell, they will go for what the market deems. If it is more than I paid great. If they go for less oh well.

(thumbsu

10 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

That was a very good deal for an Icon book from a legendary Pedigree with almost no work done to it..... the color on that copy is amazing. Someone is a very happy camper. At some point, if it's a true hobby, we stop thinking as much about what it will be worth to the heirs or to other buyers, and focus on what it's worth to us right now as a treasure what we can get for it six months from now on Heritage. That Weird 1 should provide years of awe and intrigue for the happy owner. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

FTFY :)

Edited by Sqeggs

13 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

If the BW auction were held this year, his total would have been much, much higher. It was held in 2012. You would need to adjust to comic inflation for a fair comparison.

I'd have to go back and have another look at the BW books to make a good comparison.  You may be right, but in the end the total for Berk's collection is whatever it turns out to be and if it's higher than the BW total ($3.5 million), then it gets enshrined in the official comic auction record book Bedrock keeps in a shoe box in a back bedroom. 

47 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I only picked up the Green Giant 1 in this auction. Arguably an odd ball book with limited interest so not necessarily a wise "investment". My exit strategy on it and all books I have purchased over the years is the same. If it comes time to sell, they will go for what the market deems. If it is more than I paid great. If they go for less oh well. 

I love oddball books.  I've routinely sold off hot books to buy other books that maybe seven people care about. For me, that's the fun of collecting GA.  A lot of the books are very scarce and some of the books are obscure.  Where scarcity intersects obscurity, you'll find me standing there with my checkbook out.

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

That was a very good deal for an Icon book from a legendary Pedigree with almost no work done to it..... the color on that copy is amazing. Someone is a very happy camper. At some point, if it's a true hobby, we stop thinking as much about what it will be worth to the heirs or to other buyers, and focus on what it's worth to us right now as a treasure what we can get for it six months from now on Heritage. That Weird 1 should provide years of awe and intrigue for the happy owner. GOD BLESS...

FTFY :)

:bigsmile:

Bad, bad, bad, Tony........................GOD BLESS....

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I think the "exit strategy" part of the equation is going to be very hard to reconcile for this auction. So much of the bidding was made with no plan to ever sell. When you are competing against that the exit strategy goes out the window. That is why those rare cases where folks overlooked a book make will likely make that book look like a bargain down the road. 

Yeah, this was a unique auction.  I considered this a once in a generation opportunity to get some cool books.  I've been collecting Foxes since the 1990s and have never had a chance at a Lou Fine Church.  Maybe some of these will get flipped, maybe not.  But I wasn't going to risk it.  

2 minutes ago, buttock said:

Yeah, this was a unique auction.  I considered this a once in a generation opportunity to get some cool books.  I've been collecting Foxes since the 1990s and have never had a chance at a Lou Fine Church.  Maybe some of these will get flipped, maybe not.  But I wasn't going to risk it.  

His collection could not likely be duplicated today...... he was in the right place at the right time, with the foresight to recognize what was "flying under the radar"...... GOD BLESS...

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I only picked up the Green Giant 1 in this auction. Arguably an odd ball book with limited interest so not necessarily a wise "investment". My exit strategy on it and all books I have purchased over the years is the same. If it comes time to sell, they will go for what the market deems. If it is more than I paid great. If they go for less oh well. 

i think it was one of the coolest pick-ups of the whole 5 days of frenzy.

Edited by Straw-Man

57 minutes ago, buttock said:

my bottom-line goal was to, at the least, get a church copy of both a lou and a joe---so glad it happened.

Edited by Straw-Man

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:
14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

If the BW auction were held this year, his total would have been much, much higher. It was held in 2012. You would need to adjust to comic inflation for a fair comparison.

I'd have to go back and have another look at the BW books to make a good comparison.

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Price|1&N=790+231&Ntt=billy+wright&ic4=SortBy-071515

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

he was in the right place at the right time, with the foresight to recognize what was "flying under the radar"......

I would phrase it a little differently:  Jon knew what he liked and knew what had historical significance.  It happened that that included many rare and scarce books and he was astute enough to network and pony up as the situation demanded.   

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

i think it was on of the coolest pick-ups of the whole 5 days of frenzy.

Thanks Mr Parker. That's a big complement coming from the person that did some serious scoring in this auction. It was a truly amazing auction. I personally think ComicConnect did a great job with the auction. Well promoted, well executed, and I think the probably got Jon pretty darn close to top dollar for his collect. If I had one complaint it would be that I DIDN'T GET A CATALOG!!!

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I think the "exit strategy" part of the equation is going to be very hard to reconcile for this auction. So much of the bidding was made with no plan to ever sell. When you are competing against that the exit strategy goes out the window. That is why those rare cases where folks overlooked a book make will likely make that book look like a bargain down the road. 

I think the MH runs (Pep, Hit, etc.) that have been coming up on Heritage helped to psychologically prepare bidders for this auction, both in terms of knowing they'll have to pay up and confirming that there are voracious, deep-pocketed buyers out there, so if you don't win a book now, you might not get another chance for another 20+ years.  So exit strategy was the last thing most people were concerned about.  It was more fear of losing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I just don't see a lot of these books getting flipped and reappearing in the market anytime soon.

Just now, tth2 said:

I think the MH runs (Pep, Hit, etc.) that have been coming up on Heritage helped to psychologically prepare bidders for this auction, both in terms of knowing they'll have to pay up and confirming that there are voracious, deep-pocketed buyers out there, so if you don't win a book now, you might not get another chance for another 20+ years.  So exit strategy was the last thing most people were concerned about.  It was more fear of losing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I just don't see a lot of these books getting flipped and reappearing in the market anytime soon.

No,  all the under copies will be popping up instead.  Think Mr Berk got top dollar and then some.   Looking at the more common stuff in bronze and silver, even that stuff was getting premiums.  Maybe these results once the total and some of the highlights get posted will draw out some more collections that havent seen the light of days in decades. 

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

We wait until the next auction, chirp about how lame the selection is, and bid...

5 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Maybe we'll look back and realize that this was the golden age.

Kinda my thought as well...

12 minutes ago, AllStar-Comics said:

No,  all the under copies will be popping up instead.  Think Mr Berk got top dollar and then some.   Looking at the more common stuff in bronze and silver, even that stuff was getting premiums.  Maybe these results once the total and some of the highlights get posted will draw out some more collections that havent seen the light of days in decades. 

under copies :cloud9: