• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe he is talking from the point of view that after a certain point, it is clearly only himself and one other bidder that is going after the book.  There is no other third person or more that is coming in to raised the bids.

I clearly got that feeling when I went after some of the rare and HTF Centaur books.  Especially with some of the non-high grade copies which had less than a handful of copies on the census.  For example, once the book hit something like $1,500 or already at multiples to condition guide, it was crystal clear to me that every other increment after that was being done by myself with no other bidder coming in besides just that one single competing bidder.  So, raising it by another $1,000 just to win it at $2,500 or more does not meant that is the new current market value.  The new market value might only be $1,500 or at the point where the 3rd bidder dropped out, if you happen to resell the book in the near future.  hm

Agreed. There were 102 centaurs that jon's copy would upgrade for me. I bid on all of them. Typically when I stopped bidding on my "not must haves" or my "not really really wants " , that's where the bidding stopped. Take me out of the centaur equation and I suspect the majority go much lower

as dean mentioned, what happens if I sell? Will the "value" be less, significantly less, or will there be new buyers to continue the insanity lol

29 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Agreed. There were 102 centaurs that jon's copy would upgrade for me. I bid on all of them. Typically when I stopped bidding on my "not must haves" or my "not really really wants " , that's where the bidding stopped. Take me out of the centaur equation and I suspect the majority go much lower

as dean mentioned, what happens if I sell? Will the "value" be less, significantly less, or will there be new buyers to continue the insanity lol

I think besides being rare a lot of the esoteric golden age books have a small pool of people willing to pay up.  I was actually dumbfounded by the prices paid on the pre superhero stuff.  I thought demand had dwindled for that kind of material with time passing.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe he is talking from the point of view that after a certain point, it is clearly only himself and one other bidder that is going after the book.  There is no other third person or more that is coming in to raised the bids.

I clearly got that feeling when I went after some of the rare and HTF Centaur books.  Especially with some of the non-high grade copies which had less than a handful of copies on the census.  For example, once the book hit something like $1,500 or already at multiples to condition guide, it was crystal clear to me that every other increment after that was being done by myself with no other bidder coming in besides just that one single competing bidder.  So, raising it by another $1,000 just to win it at $2,500 or more does not meant that is the new current market value.  The new market value might only be $1,500 or at the point where the 3rd bidder dropped out, if you happen to resell the book in the near future.  hm

This is an auction. If you want something in an auction you love when it gets to the point where you and one other are bidding. That means the end is near. Will it be you...or not. 

This auction had nothing to do with market value. Did anyone here care about market value on the books they won? I know I didn't. When I paid attention to market value I lost every time. This auction was unique. 

So in regards to Weird 1, and to answer Andy's question, the only we would have known where the other bidder's final would have gone is if Andy went full Simple Jack and bid higher. 

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:
1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

he said over 7m.

take every figure Vinnie says and divide by 2, unless he's appraising your books, in which case multiply everything by 2.

:grin:

14 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

This is an auction. If you want something in an auction you love when it gets to the point where you and one other are bidding. That means the end is near. Will it be you...or not. 

This auction had nothing to do with market value. Did anyone here care about market value on the books they won? I know I didn't. When I paid attention to market value I lost every time. This auction was unique. 

So in regards to Weird 1, and to answer Andy's question, the only we would have known where the other bidder's final would have gone is if Andy went full Simple Jack and bid higher. 

Well put, Mr. Bedrock. In this Auction of auctions, "market value" was just an innocent bystander, and the Overstreet Guide wasn't even invited to the show. 

6 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Well put, Mr. Bedrock. In this Auction of auctions, "market value" was just an innocent bystander, and the Overstreet Guide wasn't even invited to the show. 

Ospg hasnt been invited to the dance for many many years now 

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

For some books this is  true, but I briefly researched scores of books before bidding on them , and most fell within 25% of what I tried to assess was probable market value. I think the attention and excitement over the auction lead to most books hitting the high end of predictable range, and certainly many of the Church and Larson copies exceeded what one might have assumed was the upper value going into the auction, but I wouldn't say assessments of FMV were completely irrelevant. And of course, whether they prove an accurate reflection of continued market value or not, future bidders will be considering the prices realized when going after other copies in the future. 

35 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:

Wasn't this collection generally regarded as the #3 collection in the world, after those on Anderson and Verzyl? Who else would/might have a collection at least comparable?

Ayman hariri, Stephen Fishler come to immediate mind. As does Richard evans 

Edited by G.A.tor
Bedrock omission

9 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Ayman hariri, Stephen Fishler come to immediate mind. 

Aren't there a couple of DC completists with complete collections? I know that (one) Ian Levine's DC collection has been reported as complete. I don't know if he collects non-DC as well.

27 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Ayman hariri, Stephen Fishler come to immediate mind. 

and the possessor of a full run of funny stuff leaves himself out; stop with all the stoopid false modesty, please.

Edited by Straw-Man

14 minutes ago, twmjr1 said:

Aren't there a couple of DC completists with complete collections? I know that (one) Ian Levine's DC collection has been reported as complete. I don't know if he collects non-DC as well.

Christine Farrell (sp?) also has a complete dc collection last I heard. 

Edited by G.A.tor

2 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

and the possessor of a full run of funny stuff leaves himself out; stop with all the stoopid false modest, please.

Thinking about it, mr bedrock himself needs to be in that group. I suspect his is a top 10 collection as well!

Edited by G.A.tor

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Right there with you.