• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

Quick shipping update- just got my books. They all started with "T" and I paid by check the day after they closed.

They look so much nicer than the scans.

Hope everyone's books arrive safely !

-bc

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, the dust shadow on the Star Vol. 2, No. 7 is much lighter:

CC auction scan: http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=717658&title=STARCOMICS

That was the main one I was referencing 

I didn't even know it was possible to lighten a dust shadow like that by dry cleaning. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

I didn't even know it was possible to lighten a dust shadow like that by dry cleaning. 

Hopefully not scan settings. I avoided bidding bc it was so dark looking. That light I would have bid

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Hopefully not scan settings. I avoided bidding bc it was so dark looking. That light I would have bid

Me, too! :)

Yeah, the dust shadow on the Star Vol. 2, No. 7 is much lighter:

CC auction scan: http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=717658&title=STARCOMICS

spine-roll less pronounced, as well.

Edited by Straw-Man

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That's very interesting.  So Ritter won it in the CC auction, cracked it out, and relisted it raw on his site, where he sold it for a profit. 

I wonder who would buy it for a premium over the CC auction price? (Although we don't know whether he got his full ask.)

I guess it's worth noting that it was in a CGC 8.0 slab but he listed it as a VF+ (8.5).  

Ah, comics. All sorts of permutations out there. 

5 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That's very interesting.  So Ritter won it in the CC auction, cracked it out, and relisted it raw on his site, where he sold it for a profit. 

I wonder who would buy it for a premium over the CC auction price? (Although we don't know whether he got his full ask.)

I guess it's worth noting that it was in a CGC 8.0 slab but he listed it as a VF+ (8.5).  

Ah, comics. All sorts of permutations out there. 

CGC does undergrade (...and overgrade) from time to time..... tough periods, etc.... a person who has the time and funding to go to the advance previews can ferret these out. Another thing to point out..... with huge auctions like this with TONS of premium material, the sheer volume forces bidders to choose their battles wisely..... meaning many "second choice" books may have actually closed even higher if the collection had been spread over a several month period. There are several of the Chesler's from a night when I was at work that I would gladly pay twice what they hammered at if I found them on a fixed price site. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

CGC does undergrade (...and overgrade) from time to time..... tough periods, etc.... a person who has the time and funding to go to the advance previews can ferret these out. Another thing to point out..... with huge auctions like this with TONS of premium material, the sheer volume forces bidders to choose their battles wisely..... meaning many "second choice" books may have actually closed even higher if the collection had been spread over a several month period. There are several of the Chesler's from a night when I was at work that I would gladly pay twice what they hammered at if I found them on a fixed price site. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Can't argue with that - in order for CC to make it an historic auction, all the books had to be in one tranche rather than over several - it creates excitement and the predictable feeding frenzy, but even the current market has limits. A few books were always going to slip through the cracks or not hammer for absolute top dollar.

6 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

lol. You bought a copy from me last Nov, and they had a nice 7.5 listed in this one.  

I did??? I stand corrected. :foryou:

I'll have to check my database later. My memory goes on the fritz occasionally. 

Anyway, if there was an upgrade available, I must've overlooked it.

Picked up the Cap 2 and a couple of other books.

I was extremely lucky with my FedEx parcel. I went home ( which I rarely do ) for lunch that day and when I came out the FedEx truck had just pulled up to deliver. A minute later and I would have been gone back to work.

Some employers do not allow personal deliveries to the work place. :(

1 hour ago, HandsomeVanzant said:

Hi All, Just wanted to make sure you know, there are more Jon Berk comicbooks in auction now! CLICK HERE TO START BIDDING!

Spidey Lot

zoo1.119a.jpg

fan1.18032a.jpg

pla9.168a.jpg

Well, why in the world would we bid here and pay lower prices when we need simply wait a few weeks and be able to pick up sure fire confirmed winners at substantially higher prices:

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=FourFavorites_18_19206

:screwy:  lol

Edited by lou_fine