• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:
18 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

My JB order still hasn't shipped. My four books were spread out over the week but still, not sure what is taking so long

It's ComicConnect.  I've never had an order take under 3 weeks to ship.  My fedex label was created on Thursday, but I don't think they actually shipped it. 

It probably depends upon your method of payment.  :gossip:

If you paid by cheque, then they probably have to wait for your cheque to clear first.  This could take 2 - 3 weeks alone if you happen to be a Canadian or Int'l customer.  If you paid by credit card or already have a remaining credit balance with CC on your account, then your books are probably ready for shipping almost right away.  hm

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It probably depends upon your method of payment.  :gossip:

If you paid by cheque, then they probably have to wait for your cheque to clear first.  This could take 2 - 3 weeks alone if you happen to be a Canadian or Int'l customer.  If you paid by credit card or already have a remaining credit balance with CC on your account, then your books are probably ready for shipping almost right away.  hm

Over the years, I've paid with check, money order, and credit.  It never seems to matter much with my shipments.  Just lucky I suppose. (shrug)

9 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Over the years, I've paid with check, money order, and credit.  It never seems to matter much with my shipments.  Just lucky I suppose. (shrug)

And yet some customers have already been able to not only get their books, but also have enough time to free them from their entombed prisons, relist them, and already flipped them out at huge premiums or even multiples to what they had to pay for them during the CC auction.  :gossip:  :whatthe:

And this is all while most of us poor schmucks are still waiting for our orders to ship.  :taptaptap:  :cry:

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 6/18/2017 at 7:13 AM, MrBedrock said:

I think the "exit strategy" part of the equation is going to be very hard to reconcile for this auction. So much of the bidding was made with no plan to ever sell. When you are competing against that the exit strategy goes out the window. That is why those rare cases where folks overlooked a book make will likely make that book look like a bargain down the road. 

I've been giving this some more thought the past few days since I received my few books which I was fortunate enough to win earlier this week.  As a long-term collector, I don't really have to worry about an exit strategy at all as these books from Jon's personal collection have once again found a permanent home and will be with me for a long long time.  And like everything else in my own personal collection that I brought decades ago, the magic of time itself will take care of the exit strategy.  hm  (thumbsu

On the other hand, if you are not a long-term collector, it's sad to say but the exit strategy might simply be to remove these treasured books from their imprisoned tombs and sell them raw at substantially higher prices.  You never know, as the marketplace might place a even higher premium on these HTF gorgeous looking books when they are out there in the flesh and free of both the slab and their "not so cherished" association with the  Jon Berk Collection designation.  :screwy:  :frown:

Would they really be "worth" more de-slabbed? I would think that the grade and Berk certification to at least add some value.... 

I have seen some say that they are likely not pressed, so I could see the potential for flippers to try and CPR for a quick score.

I would not expect the recently sold items to get any premium over what was paid unless one was trying to hide restoration by deslabbing ( and I am NOT saying that anyone should do that for sure!!!!!)....

I do not think there can really be an exit strategy with an auction like this. Maybe a better way to think of it - wold be an entrance strategy, lol....  If someone is concerned with the overall $$$ needed to purchase ( like you might need the money back and have to limit any loss potential)  - they should limit themselves to books with enough pricing data that any exit point would be predictable.   ------ 

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play

22 minutes ago, W16227 said:
19 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 6/18/2017 at 5:13 AM, MrBedrock said:

I think the "exit strategy" part of the equation is going to be very hard to reconcile for this auction. So much of the bidding was made with no plan to ever sell. When you are competing against that the exit strategy goes out the window. That is why those rare cases where folks overlooked a book make will likely make that book look like a bargain down the road. 

I've been giving this some more thought the past few days since I received my few books which I was fortunate enough to win earlier this week.  As a long-term collector, I don't really have to worry about an exit strategy at all as these books from Jon's personal collection have once again found a permanent home and will be with me for a long long time.  And like everything else in my own personal collection that I brought decades ago, the magic of time itself will take care of the exit strategy.  hm  (thumbsu

On the other hand, if you are not a long-term collector, it's sad to say but the exit strategy might simply be to remove these treasured books from their imprisoned tombs and sell them raw at substantially higher prices.  You never know, as the marketplace might place a even higher premium on these HTF gorgeous looking books when they are out there in the flesh and free of both the slab and their "not so cherished" association with the  Jon Berk Collection designation.  :screwy:  :frown:

Would they really be "worth" more de-slabbed? I would think that the grade and Berk certification to at least add some value.... 

I have seen some say that they are likely not pressed, so I could see the potential for flippers to try and CPR for a quick score.

I would not expect the recently sold items to get any premium over what was paid unless one was trying to hide restoration by deslabbing ( and I am NOT saying that anyone should do that for sure!!!!!)....

I do not think there can really be an exit strategy with an auction like this. Maybe a better way to think of it - wold be an entrance strategy, lol....  If someone is concerned with the overall $$$ needed to purchase ( like you might need the money back and have to limit any loss potential)  - they should limit themselves to books with enough pricing data that any exit point would be predictable.   ------ 

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play

Ah......don't we all miss the days of sweet innocence and wine and roses.  :cloud9:

Seriously though, as I said right from the get go, in a massive auction like this with just so many quality books, it's to be expected that many non-highlight run books or possibly even undergraded books would not fetch top dollars and there would be a quick exit strategy for those who are into this type of game.

For example, if we take a look at this copy of Science Comics #6:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=714598&title=SCIENCECOMICS (1ST SERIES)

Although sold for a premium to guide at $1,650; it looks like it has already been resold for $2,400

Or if you take a look at this copy of All-Select 4:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=716330&title=ALLSELECT COMICS

Definitely an entry level copy that was sold for $310 but already successfully resold for $700.  :whatthe:

As a long-term collector myself though, I don't have to worry about an immediate exit strategy, and will be more than happy to treasure and enjoy the few books which I was fortunate enough to win and simply let time itself eventually take care of my exit strategy.  :luhv:  (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=714598&title=SCIENCECOMICS (1ST SERIES)

Although sold for a premium to guide at $1,650; it looks like it has already been resold for $2,400

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=716330&title=ALLSELECT COMICS

Definitely an entry level copy that was sold for $310 but already successfully resold for $700.  :whatthe:

Do you have links to the info on the resales?

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

The delay is probably because you are sooo far away from a FedEx hub. :)

14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Did you not pick up that Church copy of Fantastic Comics 12 that you had originally mentioned and which led us down this garden path.  :baiting:  lol

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
20 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Did you not pick up that Church copy of Fantastic Comics 12 that you had originally mentioned and which led us down this garden path.  :baiting:  lol

So, the answer is that you don't actually have info on the resales? :baiting:lol

Edited by Sqeggs
Duplicate quote

paid by credit card, in metro area so fedex is all over, no excuses in my situation why they charged and I still don't have books. Takes a week to get an email response.

Edited by 1p36DSA

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Ah......don't we all miss the days of sweet innocence and wine and roses.  :cloud9:

Seriously though, as I said right from the get go, in a massive auction like this with just so many quality books, it's to be expected that many non-highlight run books or possibly even undergraded books would not fetch top dollars and there would be a quick exit strategy for those who are into this type of game.

As a long-term collector myself though, I don't have to worry about an immediate exit strategy, and will be more than happy to treasure and enjoy the few books which I was fortunate enough to win and simply let time itself eventually take care of my exit strategy.  :luhv:  (thumbsu

I am curious as well as to what the source of the resold is.  Was this private sale? 

42 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

So, the answer is that you don't actually have info on the resales? :baiting:lol

Just checked and it looks like you still haven't picked up that Church copy of Fantastic 12 yet.  :taptaptap:

If you don't hurry, it's going to be snapped up by other hungry buyers similar to some of the other Berk books, like the Science 6, the Amazing Mystery Funnies, etc.  :gossip:

Makes you wonder where all of these buyers were during the initial CC auction when these books were available at a much lower price point.  hm

37 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

That's very interesting.  So Ritter won it in the CC auction, cracked it out, and relisted it raw on his site, where he sold it for a profit. 

I wonder who would buy it for a premium over the CC auction price? (Although we don't know whether he got his full ask.)

I guess it's worth noting that it was in a CGC 8.0 slab but he listed it as a VF+ (8.5).  

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=ScienceComics_6_49596

---- I was probably too broad in my response --- this is a great example of what I was thinking. I fully understand some peoples desire to crack the slab for their own enjoyment, but was not really sure why this would be a plus for resale. Especially with the collection significance ( not a pedigree, but IMO it is close)

So - the SC 6 was cracked out. Does this alone really make it any more desirable? - the seller did up the grade on the sales listing ( to VF+ from VF).... The book could have been under graded - or maybe they pressed it -or just wishful thinking..

I would think that 8.0 with the berk notation on the slab would generally beat out a raw 8.5.........

Obviously to the right buyer at the right moment - anything can happen.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

That's very interesting.  So Ritter won it in the CC auction, cracked it out, and relisted it raw on his site, where he sold it for a profit. 

I wonder who would buy it for a premium over the CC auction price? (Although we don't know whether he got his full ask.)

I guess it's worth noting that it was in a CGC 8.0 slab but he listed it as a VF+ (8.5).  

I would have to assume the book was pressed and cleaned. I know both the centaurs listed do look nicer than when slabbed?

15 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I would have to assume the book was pressed and cleaned. I know both the centaurs listed do look nicer than when slabbed?

Yeah, the dust shadow on the Star Vol. 2, No. 7 is much lighter:

CC auction scan: http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=717658&title=STARCOMICS

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, the dust shadow on the Star Vol. 2, No. 7 is much lighter:

CC auction scan: http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=717658&title=STARCOMICS

That was the main one I was referencing