• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Hekla said:

I think I would feel weird owning a drawing of an under-aged sex slave (as she is portrayed in the NYX series). Just sayin'...

"Middleton's stylistic, oozing figural works dramatically contrast with the murky backdrop on this dusky published cover.  Fans of Lolitaesque relationships brought forth through Middleton's gritty rendering of X-23 as an under-aged sex slave will melt for this imposing depiction of the future Logan co-star. "

:jokealert: 

For those who don't get the joke, here's the reference...

Edited by delekkerste

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

"Middleton's stylistic, oozing figural works dramatically contrast with the murky backdrop on this dusky published cover.  Fans of Lolitaesque relationships brought forth through Middleton's gritty rendering of X-23 as an under-aged sex slave will melt for this imposing depiction of the future Logan co-star. "

:jokealert: 

For those who don't get the joke, here's the reference...

They had not yet had their morning coffee when they came up with that description, oy vey!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

What are the biggest confirmed sales of OA published from 2000-present?  That excludes things like 1st Gambit, 1st Deadpool, Killing Joke, Watchmen, McSpidey, etc. from the late '80s/early '90s...almost all of which are being bought primarily by 40 and 50-something Gen Xers anyway.  What are the biggest sales of art released in the 2000s and 2010s, where 20 and 30-somethings may legitimately compromise a majority (or at least a very significant chunk) of the fanbase?  

Looking at the Heritage archives, it looks like the highest priced pieces from this timeframe that have hit their auction block are a couple of Jim Lee Hush pieces that both sold for $35,850, and a Watterson/Pastis "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip that was auctioned off for charity for the same amount.  After that, it's a long drop down to a Miller DKR 20th Anniversary Edition piece at $21,510, and then nothing else above $20K from the past 17 years.  

Now, I know the TWD #19 sold for a pretty healthy sum privately, and I remember CLink sold a Paolo Rivera DD cover for around $15K (though, both of those pieces went to veteran Gen X vintage collectors).  I'm sure some other Modern pieces (like Jim Lee Hush material) has sold for decent money on CLink - anyone remember any other notable data points?  Of particular interest would be sales of artists and properties that genuinely came out in the 2000s and 2010s, not just Miller re-doing Dark Knight (see my thread on the DKIII cover sale) or a veteran artist like Jim Lee doing Batman.  

My point, being, is that we haven't seen many (any?) truly big sales of art (say, $40K+) from genuinely new artists/properties from the 2000s/2010s (I'll throw in BA12 here even though it was from the '90s simply because the character has really only exploded over the past decade) that would lead me to think that BA12 should be $100K or NYX 3 should be $60K.  If you look through the Heritage archives (not that all high-$$$ transactions go through Heritage, of course), really big, $40K+ sales of OA are a lot less common than people seem to believe. 2c 

The post 2000 pieces that would hit $20k let alone $40k has to be a pretty small list. A+ Jim Lee Batman and The Walking Dead would be the only properties I think that may have multiple pieces that would do that. Most would be one offs. Is any post 2000 Mignola work over $20k? I am not sure how much non digital are Bolland is making at the moment, but if they existed I would think a few tings he has done post 2000 would break 20k. Is that DK3 #6 Miller cover that just sold at $55k the highest sale of published post 2000 comic art? Completely theoretical but if Saga #1 cover was not digital it would easily be a $20k plus piece.  Y The Last Man #1 cover?

Pieces from the last 15 years not selling for much is hardly a surprise, I don't think there's ever been a time when pieces that fresh off the board have sold for big money, even in relative terms.    Certainly any such pieces would be real exceptions, then and now.    Frazettas maybe. 

The market needs time to contextualize and figure out what matters to people.   BA12 or Mad Love, or whatever other recent key book's OA would only sell for so much today, but its not hard to imagine that number being quite a bit bigger in 5-10 years.  

(Again, we are talking for the cream of the crop here, we've speculated previously about what may or may not happen with the rest).

Edited by Bronty

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Pieces from the last 15 years not selling for much is hardly a surprise, I don't think there's ever been a time when pieces that fresh off the board have sold for big money, even in relative terms.  

In absolute terms, of course you are correct, because even 15 years ago most vintage art didn't sell for what we would consider to be "big money" today.  But, in relative terms, hot newer art has definitely sold for big money even before it became seasoned.  For example, even though we laugh now at how cheap the DKR art sold back in the late '80s, there's a reason why people didn't just scoop it all up at those prices, and that's because you could buy great vintage art for those prices back then.  I don't remember all the numbers and such, but, ask Scott Williams or Benno or others who have publicly commented about their experience with DKR art from back in the day.  

I'm sure the McSpidey guys here can tell us about how those pages were selling for Romita prices back in the '90s.  Or, heck, just look at how much the Liefeld X-Force #1 and Jim Lee X-Men #1 art sold at auction when the ink was barely dry on those pages back in the early '90s, just to name a couple of concrete examples.   

Edited by delekkerste

Well, I'm using your own definition of big money - 40k.    Yeah adjust that downwards for earlier periods, but the big, big threshold like that is rarely crossed by new art, no?

Even that x-men book at what was it 35k back then (?) was a big sale for twenty two pages or whatever it is (say 1500/page), but it wasn't a BIG (40k threshold equivalent) kinda sale for one piece - although you could argue that a significant amount of the price was due to the cover, which would have crossed that threshold in relative terms, yes.

Either way those are extreme outliers, then and now, for new art which pass that kind of threshold.  

that's not to say today's 40k outliers will necessarily become the 400k outliers of tomorrow for reasons kicked around here every week, but modern pieces have never/rarely gotten top top top tier prices.   The x-men example is a good one; so few examples like that though.

Edited by Bronty

I am not familiar with the issue but how do the interior pages stack up by comparison to the cover?  I agree that the cover image itself is not very impressive.  Does any of the art from the interior feature X-23 with her claws out?  If so, those "first appearance issue pages" might actually command more than the cover.

Cheers!

N.

17 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well, I'm using your own definition of big money - 40k.    Yeah adjust that downwards for earlier periods, but the big, big threshold like that is rarely crossed by new art, no?

Even that x-men book at what was it 35k back then (?) was a big sale for twenty two pages or whatever it is (say 1500/page), but it wasn't a BIG (40k threshold equivalent) kinda sale for one piece - although you could argue that a significant amount of the price was due to the cover, which would have crossed that threshold in relative terms, yes.

Either way those are extreme outliers, then and now, for new art which pass that kind of threshold.  

that's not to say today's 40k outliers will necessarily become the 400k outliers of tomorrow for reasons kicked around here every week, but modern pieces have never/rarely gotten top top top tier prices.   The x-men example is a good one; so few examples like that though.

I forgot what the X-Men #1 complete story sold for at Sotheby's in 1991 - anyone remember off-hand?  IIRC, it went for a lot more than $35K, though.  All I could find online was that the pre-sale estimate was $40-$60K vs. $20-25K for the Ditko ASM #31 complete story that was offered in the same sale.  One post suggested that X-Force #1 went for about $40K (anyone have that datapoint - I used to know all this stuff, but I'm getting old...), so I'm assuming that the X-Men #1 went for a good chunk more than that.  Not bad for art that was only a few months old at that point!  Definitely an outlier, but, then again, so are all the other examples we're talking about (BA 12, NYX 3, TWD 19, etc.)  

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Looks like it was 44k.  And yeah the things Bill could have bought with that money!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1991/12/19/auction/a6fc6c3e-8ed3-44cb-8311-e997f86d8600/?utm_term=.90af8421f8c8

Looks like X-Force #1 sold for $42.9K.  Both blew away the $24.2K for the Ditko ASM #31 complete story!  And Frazetta's Vampi #1 painting sold for more than 3x the Ditko complete story. :whatthe: 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Looks like X-Force #1 sold for $42.9K.  Both blew away the $24.2K for the Ditko ASM #31 complete story!  And Frazetta's Vampi #1 painting sold for more than 3x the Ditko complete story. :whatthe: 

I can't believe how cheap the ditko was, yeah

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I found a Chicago Tribune article that said the Vampi 1 hammered at $70K, X-Men #1 at $40K and X-Force #1 at $39K (add 10% BP for each).

We are splitting hairs, but I'd trust the overstreet article linked above.   It also makes the most sense as it reports round bid increment numbers of 35 and 40k, and then add 10%