• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

When I see the term "original owner" used (without qualification) in a sale description, I take it to mean that the seller purchased the subject book off the rack. Is it acceptable to describe something as "original owner" (without qualification) when the book was either purchased directly from the original owner (which makes the seller its second owner) or purchased from the dealer who purchased it from the original owner (which makes the seller its third owner)? At what point does the "original owner" characterization (which implies first-hand knowledge of everything that's been done to/with the book to date) become inaccurate and/or misleading?

Just askin' (shrug)

This is purely my opinion, but it ain't OO if the one selling it didn't buy it off the stands. If you bought it from the OO or another couple steps down the line, definitionally, it is not OO.

(thumbs u

Everyone can give it a rest. I understand now not to have multiple threads. It WON'T be done anymore. I might point out that I do see a couple of other multiple threads. Can someone please point out how to effectively sell 2 entirely different comic eras on the boards and still let buyers who are looking for that material know easily what you have.

Some recommendations I would make are to start ONE thread for GA books. List the books in there one time, and one time only. When you have new books to add, add them to that thread instead of creating another. You've had several books listed 2 or 3 times in different threads, including the Action 13. Then do the same for SA/BA books.

When I see the term "original owner" used (without qualification) in a sale description, I take it to mean that the seller purchased the subject book off the rack. Is it acceptable to describe something as "original owner" (without qualification) when the book was either purchased directly from the original owner (which makes the seller its second owner) or purchased from the dealer who purchased it from the original owner (which makes the seller its third owner)? At what point does the "original owner" characterization (which implies first-hand knowledge of everything that's been done to/with the book to date) become inaccurate and/or misleading?

Just askin' (shrug)

It's a gimmick that should be ignored, just pay attention to the condition of the book and price.

Usually these are the accepted terms:

Original Owner (OO) Book - a comic you purchased from the shelf.

Bought from OO/From an OO Collection - a comic you purchased/consigned/stole/whatever from the original owner and are reselling.

Absolutely correct! (thumbs u

When I first joined a couple of years ago, the agreed limit on concurrent selling threads was three.

But that was mostly due to differing eras, which is understandable that you want to group GA apart from MA, but that has been cleared up with the forum revamp.

Usually these are the accepted terms:

Original Owner (OO) Book - a comic purchased "off the shelf" by the owner of the book.

"Bought from OO/From an OO Collection" - a comic purchased/consigned/obtained from the original owner (OO) and is being resold.

This could go right into Overstreet (with slight dressing up) ;)

Just askin' (shrug)

It's a gimmick that should be ignored, just pay attention to the condition of the book and price.

I disagree - that's like saying that pedigrees (and slabbed books for that matter) are just gimmicks also. More information is always better than less.

You mean like a coverless GA classic and a BA common issue?

I think three is a reasonable limit if the books are entirely different animals.

For example I'd separate a run of coverless GA books from a run of high grade Bronze books, but I wouldn't necessarily separate a run of coverless GA from a run of GA with covers attached.

Discretion is a big part of it.

I don't think that it should be mandatory to contribute to the boards before selling books if it is established that the seller is indeed credible, as in this case I believe that has been the case (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I think that the fact that the seller is trying to adhere to the rules as they are being pointed out is admirable even if the seller did mess up by not doing his homework ahead of time.

I think it's very possible to keep someone who is initially just a good seller here as a member of the community if they feel welcome. Proselyting, anyone?

:angel:

In the interests of disclosure, I haven't purchased anything from the seller, nor do I plan to (you never know, though), so I don't have any real interest in this matter other than recognizing that this seller seems to have a decent knowledge of the hobby and would likely become an asset should he or she choose to stay.

Just the level headed responses speak volumes about their character compared to some replies we get from long standing members on here.

Edited to say that positive contributions to the other forums would be appreciated though.

(thumbs u

You mean like a coverless GA classic and a BA common issue?

I think three is a reasonable limit if the books are entirely different animals.

For example I'd separate a run of coverless GA books from a run of high grade Bronze books, but I wouldn't necessarily separate a run of coverless GA from a run of GA with covers attached.

Discretion is a big part of it.

I don't think that it should be mandatory to contribute to the boards before selling books if it is established that the seller is indeed credible, as in this case I believe that has been the case (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I think that the fact that the seller is trying to adhere to the rules as they are being pointed out is admirable even if the seller did mess up by not doing his homework ahead of time.

I think it's very possible to keep someone who is initially just a good seller here as a member of the community if they feel welcome. Proselyting, anyone?

:angel:

In the interests of disclosure, I haven't purchased anything from the seller, nor do I plan to (you never know, though), so I don't have any real interest in this matter other than recognizing that this seller seems to have a decent knowledge of the hobby and would likely become an asset should he or she choose to stay.

Just the level headed responses speak volumes about their character compared to some replies we get from long standing members on here.

Edited to say that positive contributions to the other forums would be appreciated though.

(thumbs u

I don't personally see any need for 3 separate threads. I can see 2 and have no problem with it. You can list GA in one, Silver/Bronze in the other. If he needs another thread, he should run the 2, and close one before starting another.

Edited by Dale Roberts

I don't personally see any need for 3 separate threads. I can see 2 and have no problem with it. You can list GA in one, Silver/Bronze in the other. If he needs another thread, he should run the 2, and close one before starting another.

Agreed. Upon rethinking it, even two is sufficient if absolutely necessary. These selling forums are divided up pretty good now.

And I agree with you too Roy, paritcularly about folks who sell here only. There are several people who only post in the for sale section, buying and selling, and their threads aren't scrutinized and littered with admonishments.

Each one of them started out on the wrong foot too, and made some missteps in their listings. They've conformed and been accepted.

If Tom continues conforming and handling his transactions the way he has, I see no reason to continue to beat him down for every infraction

Wow the arrogance. What you just did sir is cost yourself any possible busines I might have had with you. I spend thousands monthly on comics as an investment for my children and after your response I will NEVER spend one cent on any of your comics.

Some of you people need to learn some manners and relax. If a poster wants to just sell or buy comics who cares? I think some dealers who post here and always ask for the high end price have problems with guys that sell comics for reasonable prices. It's obvious why some of you have problems with this guy. It's because he has great comics and reasonable prices. I'm so used to seeing some of you charge 20X guide for comics that are not even in demand.

And I agree with you too Roy, paritcularly about folks who sell here only. There are several people who only post in the for sale section, buying and selling, and their threads aren't scrutinized and littered with admonishments.

Each one of them started out on the wrong foot too, and made some missteps in thier listings. They've conformed and been accepted.

If Tom continues conforming and handling his transactions the way he has, I see no reason to continue to beat him down for every infraction

These forums are so self destructive that while they were posting we've driven away some of the very creators that we spend time worshiping on here...Neal Adams, Don Rosa. I mean, we don't have to kiss people's heels but we don't have to drive them out either.

doh!

Each one of them started out on the wrong foot too, and made some missteps in thier listings. They've conformed and been accepted.

These forums are so self destructive that while they were posting we've driven away some of the very creators that we spend time worshiping on here...Neal Adams, Don Rosa. I mean, we don't have to kiss people's heels but we don't have to drive them out either.

doh!

I don't think they should let Canadians post here.

Wow the arrogance. What you just did sir is cost yourself any possible busines I might have had with you. I spend thousands monthly on comics as an investment for my children and after your response I will NEVER spend one cent on any of your comics.

Some of you people need to learn some manners and relax. If a poster wants to just sell or buy comics who cares? I think some dealers who post here and always ask for the high end price have problems with guys that sell comics for reasonable prices. It's obvious why some of you have problems with this guy. It's because he has great comics and reasonable prices. I'm so used to seeing some of you charge 20X guide for comics that are not even in demand.

:troll:

doh!

I don't think they should let Canadians post here.

I use my duel citizenship to stay on the fence.

Diplomatic Canadian by day, aggressive Serbian by night.

Did I mention my distaste for Irishmen?

:insane:

My indignation for the wronging of others knows NO BOUNDS!!!!

Ray,

If you spend money with me great, if you don't, that is your choice. As far as I know, I have never gotten any of your money so far, and somehow I have made it through. By the way, maybe you didn't notice, but I just ran a 160 page thread in which I discounted books greatly, giving deals to board members that I would never offer elsewhere. Many books as much as 75% off guide prices.

Aside from that, this board was created where collectors/dealers/comic enthusiasts can come and discuss comics and related items. The sales forum is a portion of that, and is really a bonus for the members, people who both buy and sell. There are no fees associated mainly due to the fact that the board maintains itself and polices itself, both through its guidelines and through its members. When people come in and contribute nothing, just hocking their books, it doesn't seem right to some of us. In fact, it seems as if that person is taking advantage of the situation and cares nothing about the boards themselves.

He has been encouraged by me and many others to contribute to the rest of the board, and to follow the guidelines set forth, not by me, but by the powers that be. The only way that this board functions is for us to work together.

I personally can forsee a time that the sales forum is basically worse than ebay, where people come only to sell books and scam members out of books and money. That is why he is encouraged to participate in the rest of the boards as well. I don't want that to happen, as it is a great place to both buy and sell, and also to make good friendships, as most of us on the boards have done.

Dale

Edited by Dale Roberts