• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

When you get lowballed, do you counter, or just reply with a polite, "No thanks?"

Depends how low the ball.

If it's low but reasonable, I counter.

If it's low and unreasonable, I ignore.

If it's incredibly low, unreasonable, and insulting, I raise the price.

When you get lowballed, do you counter, or just reply with a polite, "No thanks?"

Excellent! lol

Excellent! lol

I would probably counter with whatever discount you had in mind when you listed the book. If you listed intending to insist on full price, nothing wrong with that. If you do counter, you should make it clear that the offer is as low as you will go unless you want to get bogged down in an extended back and forth.

I'll occasionally throw in a lowball, particularly if the seller has bumped his thread with a "I'm willing to deal, make me an offer!" Some months ago, I offered about 60% of what the seller was asking for a relatively high dollar book and he accepted it without a counter. Although seemingly a lowball, I was probably offering something close to 90% of FMV.

If you don't want to bargain, I would reply with a simple "No thanks" rather than ignoring the offer, unless you never want to deal with the person again.

Excellent! lol

I would probably counter with whatever discount you had in mind when you listed the book. If you listed intending to insist on full price, nothing wrong with that. If you do counter, you should make it clear that the offer is as low as you will go unless you want to get bogged down in an extended back and forth.

I'll occasionally throw in a lowball, particularly if the seller has bumped his thread with a "I'm willing to deal, make me an offer!" Some months ago, I offered about 60% of what the seller was asking for a relatively high dollar book and he accepted it without a counter. Although seemingly a lowball, I was probably offering something close to 90% of FMV.

If you don't want to bargain, I would reply with a simple "No thanks" rather than ignoring the offer, unless you never want to deal with the person again.

You're right. I guess it depends on where you were starting from as a seller.

I was assuming starting from a reasonable asking price. If I was asking a nutbar number of 200-300% of FMV I wouldn't have much to complain about if someone hit me with a 50-70% off offer.

Are we having more of those sales threads again where in one thread someone talks about being unemployed and desperate for support, and then in another thread buying multi-hundred dollar books?

hm

And buying in different threads, no less.

Are we having more of those sales threads again where in one thread someone talks about being unemployed and desperate for support, and then in another thread buying multi-hundred dollar books?

hm

lol

I was just looking at this. Also. Showing off books bought today at a LCS. :makepoint:

hm

I like the ones where my dog has to go to the vet . . . :facepalm:

hm

lol

I was just looking at this. Also. Showing off books bought today at a LCS. :makepoint:

Yep....duly noted.

Precisely! :sumo:lol

hm

lol

Yep....duly noted.

He pulled this with me last year to get out of a purchase, and then within a day was posting WTBs and purchasing books. So the job market in the UK must be amazing in the way of rehires.

:eyeroll:

Now when we have folks really going through hard times, people are not going to know because of situations like this. Nobody is going to take those sales threads seriously unless they truly know the seller.

Some folks should think about that, and realize the extended damage they are causing.

hm

lol

Yep....duly noted.

He pulled this with me last year to get out of a purchase, and then within a day was posting WTBs and purchasing books. So the job market in the UK must be amazing in the way of rehires.

I saw this twice yesterday. In fairness to the sellers whose threads the slapfights are happening in, wouldn't a PM to the seller suffice?

hm

lol

Yep....duly noted.

I saw this twice yesterday. In fairness to the sellers whose threads the slapfights are happening in, wouldn't a PM to the seller suffice?

I didn't get the feeling that consideration for others is really what he's all about. :shrug:

I usually counteroffer and then then I never hear from the person again.

hm

lol

Yep....duly noted.

I didn't get the feeling that consideration for others is really what he's all about. :shrug:

I have no idea who we're talking about. :sorry:

hm

lol

Yep....duly noted.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6907386#Post6907386

hm

lol

Yep....duly noted.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6907386#Post6907386

All the shenanigans lead to a sale :roflmao: WTG Speedy!

Edited by iceman399

Okay, another question: When you get a buyer who's doing time payments, and you get a deposit up front, if the buyer backs out or otherwise doesn't complete the deal, do you keep the deposit? Do you keep part of the deposit? What's the standard time payments/deposit boilerplate?

If the buyer backs out, and if it was clear the deposit was meant to guarantee the final purchase or they lose the deposit, then I would think the seller will keep this as a penalty if the deal falls through.

Like when you are buying a home, and the seller wants a decent size deposit tied to an offer to ensure you are serious enough that they will stop accepting other offers.

If the buyer backs out, and if it was clear the deposit was meant to guarantee the final purchase or they lose the deposit, then I would think the seller will keep this as a penalty if the deal falls through.

Like when you are buying a home, and the seller wants a decent size deposit tied to an offer to ensure you are serious enough that they will stop accepting other offers.

Do you spell that part out, or is it assumed?