• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Hey Jeff

The reason I didn't say hello is because I had better things to do like line up and witness sigs. :baiting:

Plus, Drew only told me who you where after the fact two years ago.

Did I tell you that I was busy?

You should try it. :baiting:

You can say hi to me.

I'm not hard to find.

xoxo

greggy

lol

I have no idea what you look like. Perhaps you shouldn't work so hard.

xoxo

Jeff

Maybe you should ask Will and Carlos if they have time to say hello to people at NYCC. :makepoint:

Hey Jeff

The reason I didn't say hello is because I had better things to do like line up and witness sigs. :baiting:

Plus, Drew only told me who you where after the fact two years ago.

Did I tell you that I was busy?

You should try it. :baiting:

You can say hi to me.

I'm not hard to find.

xoxo

greggy

lol

I have no idea what you look like. Perhaps you shouldn't work so hard.

xoxo

Jeff

Maybe you should ask Will and Carlos if they have time to say hello to people at NYCC. :makepoint:

I have to convince them to eat. I prefer a balanced con experience. Plus I make more money that way. :)

I bought books from edowens. They were tightly graded and priced fairly. If someone is marking up the grades, the books are now over graded. I was not the buyer he spoke of.

Correct...not you Pat. (thumbs u

Anyway, I wasn't trying to make an issue of that incident, or "indict" the person...just offering another example, and lesson learned.

I bought books from edowens. They were tightly graded and priced fairly. If someone is marking up the grades, the books are now over graded. I was not the buyer he spoke of.

Correct...not you Pat. (thumbs u

Anyway, I wasn't trying to make an issue of that incident, or "indict" the person...just offering another example, and lesson learned.

But the thing to do is if someone claims a book is overgraded, at least ask for further details. Otherwise, how does your grading ever improve (or identifying they were being extra strict)?

It's apparently not unusual. Three months ago or so, I ran a big sales thread here, during which a veteran Boardie (who will remain nameless) PM'd me about some raw books that had been listed in my thread for an hour or so, asking for a discount on the stack (5 or 6 books). In the spirit of giving him a good deal, I thought...sure, why not...and I actually sold him the books in that "deal" at a loss...no big issue. Within a relatively short time (say 60 to 90 days or so), I watched that Boardie list those same raw books within his own sales thread upgraded at least a full grade point, which he then sold for more than my original (undiscounted) sales thread asking price. It was a great learning experience for me. Along with some other realizations, that's when I really had to internalize the bit of wisdom that says to make sure you are happy with the price at which you sell books, and then in some sense who cares what happens after that. Trust me...I understand that argument. Still, having said that, it felt like a light kick in the crotch.

Sounds like a RedRocks situation. lol

Not even in the same neighborhood as RedRocks. From what I remember of the RedRocks situation, RedRocks had a warm, fuzzy story about how he wanted the book for his grandchildren, etc. The buyer in my tale offered no story behind the "deal" request...there was no misrepresentation whatsoever. After the fact, looks like he wanted the "deal" so that he could earn higher profit margin on the flip...but he never indicated any intent to the contrary...fair enough. Way, way, way different than RedRocks - incomparable, actually.

It's apparently not unusual. Three months ago or so, I ran a big sales thread here, during which a veteran Boardie (who will remain nameless) PM'd me about some raw books that had been listed in my thread for an hour or so, asking for a discount on the stack (5 or 6 books). In the spirit of giving him a good deal, I thought...sure, why not...and I actually sold him the books in that "deal" at a loss...no big issue. Within a relatively short time (say 60 to 90 days or so), I watched that Boardie list those same raw books within his own sales thread upgraded at least a full grade point, which he then sold for more than my original (undiscounted) sales thread asking price. It was a great learning experience for me. Along with some other realizations, that's when I really had to internalize the bit of wisdom that says to make sure you are happy with the price at which you sell books, and then in some sense who cares what happens after that. Trust me...I understand that argument. Still, having said that, it felt like a light kick in the crotch.

Not even in the same neighborhood as RedRocks. From what I remember of the RedRocks situation, RedRocks had a warm, fuzzy story about how he wanted the book for his grandchildren, etc. The buyer in my tale offered no story behind the "deal" request...there was no misrepresentation whatsoever. After the fact, looks like he wanted the "deal" so that he could earn higher profit margin on the flip...but he never indicated any intent to the contrary...fair enough. Way, way, way different than RedRocks - incomparable, actually.

EDIT: This was referring to the GIJOE. NP Gresham situation. Sorry for the confusion.

The only real difference is the amount of zeros in the transaction.

You've got a buyer using untrue statements in order to obtain an item at a lesser price and then proves those statements to be patently false.

Which situation am I describing?

You've got a buyer using untrue statements in order to obtain an item at a lesser price and then proves those statements to be patently false.

RedRocks.

Indeed, there was a big difference in the number of zeroes. Also, my buyer never made any untrue statements.

It brings me back to when Nik was still with us and board flipping was very frowned upon

:cloud9:

I love this place as it is now. From what I hear about the "old days," sounds like I would have been in sheer ecstasy back then. Too bad I missed it.

I sell a book as a 7.0 and low and behold it reappears as a "9.2" with no evidence of being pressed. No problem really, I am glad someone thinks I undergrade :banana:

Just bothers me that the same person complained that I can't grade, so I refunded him all his money for this lot (including the magic 9.2 book) and told him to keep the books I want him to be happy.

He then bumps it to a 9.2 and flips it here on the boards (it is in the same mylar and full back i sent him so i know it is the same book)

Still not a problem, but he paints a bad picture of me in my WTB thread as 'blocking him" unnecessarily.

For the record, I believe I have a good reason to block him.

Deja vu.

He did the same thing to me. Complained about books being inaccurately graded, wanted a partial refund. I only had a few dollars in the books (dollar box finds) and the transaction wasn't for a whole lot of money (less than 50 bucks) so I agreed on a partial instead of a return and full refund. I suggested 10 or 15, he wanted 20. I said ok whatever, just to be done with it. I make a WTB thread, he can't figure out why I blocked him after I didn't want to make an offer on his books sight unseen. Reading his posts in this thread and seeing other people's thoughts about him just my confirmed my suspicions as a character to avoid.

Now 4 confirmed cases. :popcorn:

It's the one of the oldest scams in collectibles mail order. It's called a lot of things but "profit padding" and "grade spreading" are two.

Simply put, buyer agrees to price and buys item. Buyer gets item, then complains about grade, condition, etc. in order to squeeze a partial refund out of the seller. They prey upon the seller not wanting to deal with return shipping, reselling, having a customer complain, etc. to swing the deal further in their favor. Then the buyer takes the item and puts it back up for sale with a higher price and higher grade than it was original sold to them and far higher in grade and price than the original seller had them.

Normally buyer's perpetrating this type of scam do not get caught because they A) re-sell on a large forum like Ebay with millions of items, or B) find an entirely different venue from the original purchase in order to avoid being discovered ( the don't eat where you mess principle.)

NP jumped the gun refunding all the money, that's true. And GIJOE prob. thought he won the lotto. That doesn't undo the underlying problem with how he did it. Of course he repaid NP now....he already resold one of the books for 135% of what he paid for the entire lot! lol

Claiming overgrading and then reselling the items with a higher grade than originally listed is pretty friggin' dishonest but it's nothing new in collectible. Normally the scammer is careful to cover his tracks, however.

Anyone have any experience with a Jason Sloven of Bayside New York?

He wanted to trade me for my DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8 for a Hulk 181 raw.

I told him to give me money instead. He said no. I said give me money and the Hulk 181 he said he wanted some kind of security.

So I sent the book with tracking, all the while getting annoying e-mails when I don't respond within 20 minutes to his e-mails. e-mails like this

"???"

So anyways, today I get this message.

"Hey just wanted to let you know I have to open a claim with paypal. The usps website says the package was delivered at about 3pm but the mail already arrived and I did not receive anything and no packages were at my door. Thanks"

Discuss.

To me if a book being sent is as expensive as a Hulk 181 I would of definitely added Signature Confirmation. But that's just me. Sorry Jimmy

The book was $250.

I mention the hulk181 only because why would you trade a hulk 181 for a DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8?

Jimmy $250 is enough to add Signature. PayPal encourages it.

I don't know what DC presents 47 is. Sorry. :shy: Not much of a DC fan lol

When did paypal demand signature protection for purchases of $250 USD or above or $330 Canadian?

They gave him a refund within 20 minutes of me providing the tracking information.

This is wildly_fanciful_statement.

Money has been taken out of my account.

Tracking: CX508239617CA

Claiming overgrading and then reselling the items with a higher grade than originally listed is pretty friggin' dishonest but it's nothing new in collectible. Normally the scammer is careful to cover his tracks, however.

The however seems to be getting pretty clear.

RedRocks.

Indeed, there was a big difference in the number of zeroes. Also, my buyer never made any untrue statements.

I was talking about the NP Gresham sale, not yours. The one with GIJOE claiming they were lower grade only to raise the grade immediately thereafter. Sorry for the confusion.

I can understand your being annoyed by this incident; I would be, too. But I'm not sure how I feel about it. You pretty frequently see boardies who do a lot of selling throw up the take it sign in sales threads. (Even more most happen via PMs.) I've always assumed that most times they intend to flip the book -- either on the boards or elsewhere -- and I haven't thought much of it, other than the book was apparently a good deal.

If you think about it, dealers have to get their stock somewhere, and, obviously, have to pay less than they intend to sell for. Asking for a discount makes it a little shakier I guess, but again if no one else was willing to pay your full asking price .... He may also have had legitimate doubts that he would be able to successfully flip the book had he paid what you were originally asking.

I guess that in the end there is likely to be some friction between those of us who are mainly collectors that do a little selling and those who are mainly dealers, although they may also collect.

I told him to give me money instead. He said no. I said give me money and the Hulk 181 he said he wanted some kind of security.

So I sent the book with tracking, all the while getting annoying e-mails when I don't respond within 20 minutes to his e-mails. e-mails like this

"???"

"Hey just wanted to let you know I have to open a claim with paypal. The usps website says the package was delivered at about 3pm but the mail already arrived and I did not receive anything and no packages were at my door. Thanks"

Discuss.

To me if a book being sent is as expensive as a Hulk 181 I would of definitely added Signature Confirmation. But that's just me. Sorry Jimmy

The book was $250.

I mention the hulk181 only because why would you trade a hulk 181 for a DC Presents 47 CGC 9.8?

When did paypal demand signature protection for purchases of $250 USD or above or $330 Canadian?

They gave him a refund within 20 minutes of me providing the tracking information.

I never said anything about demanding, I said encourage. I'm sorry your money got taken out Jimmy.

The however seems to be getting pretty clear.

I claimed that two Marvel Premiere 48's were slightly lower grade, and that I would review the box when I returned home. In the exact same post, I also said I was happy with the box overall.

"???"

Discuss.

The book was $250.

I never said anything about demanding, I said encourage. I'm sorry your money got taken out Jimmy.

I had the paypal rep guide me onto the website. Its a demand. :(

"???"

Discuss.

The book was $250.

I had the paypal rep guide me onto the website. Its a demand. :(

Well then I stand corrected.