• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

If you are willing to share it, what's G.A.tor's take on this?

That's what I was thinking.

In general terms, what's the deal with a boardie coming in and posting an "unconditional take it" on top of a previously announced HOLD? A book on hold is on hold...what's that second boardie thinking...let's just see if I can override the hold? Do I need to start posting "unconditional take its" on top of HOLDS on books I'm interested in?

When I see a "hold" I assume there are "conditions" being discussed, otherwise it would say "sold". So if I want a book I will "trump" conditional purchase with a no conditions take it. That's "normal" rules as I understand them, unless otherwise stated, and as a buyer or seller , thats what i would go with. Naturally I was not privy to any pms when I posted.

In hindsight whatever the seller wants to do is fine with me (thumbs u

I see no issue with the unconditional take it on top of the hold. A book is not sold until it is sold. I've had people come in and buy a book out from under me while I was negotiating on the price with the owner at a store because they were willing to pay ask. However in this case the book was sold. Why the seller decided to put the book on hold rather than just say Action 23 Sold makes no sense to me. Quadman took it on the condition that the book would not be shipped by the seller outside the US and he would not pay via Paypal.

When I see a "hold" I assume there are "conditions" being discussed, otherwise it would say "sold". So if I want a book I will "trump" conditional purchase with a no conditions take it. That's "normal" rules as I understand them, unless otherwise stated, and as a buyer or seller , thats what i would go with. Naturally I was not privy to any pms when I posted.

In hindsight whatever the seller wants to do is fine with me (thumbs u

I hope the seller does the right thing cause you always do Rick! Maybe get a 3 way pm going to work this out?

Didn't the seller put the book on hold because it was not, at that point, sold? The seller pretty clearly states that he will ship to the US only in his first post and nothing about that PM conversation suggests a done deal.

Once the seller said "It's on Hold" ....it should have been on "Hold".

"On Hold" means all other discussions about the book cease until details are worked out. The book is off the market until a deal is finalized or until the parties agree that no deal is sealed.

Otherwise "On Hold" means nothing.

Didn't the seller put the book on hold because it was not, at that point, sold? The seller pretty clearly states that he will ship to the US only in his first post and nothing about that PM conversation suggests a done deal.

It did not show up in the posted p.m. exchange...but according to quadman...the first p.m. sent was the :takeit: sign.

After that...they were just ironing out the details and quadman simply asked if the seller was willing to used a mutually known third party as a middleman. quadman never said he would not take the book if one wasn't used...he was simply asking if it was ok to use one.

I see no issue with the unconditional take it on top of the hold. A book is not sold until it is sold. I've had people come in and buy a book out from under me while I was negotiating on the price with the owner at a store because they were willing to pay ask. However in this case the book was sold. Why the seller decided to put the book on hold rather than just say Action 23 Sold makes no sense to me. Quadman took it on the condition that the book would not be shipped by the seller outside the US and he would not pay via Paypal.

Once the seller put the book "On Hold" he took it off the market to work out a deal with Quadman. If the seller didn't like his terms he was free to reject the offer and take it "Off Hold".

The "on hold" designation strikes me as markedly different " I was negotiating and someone took it ". Feels a lot more like a duty created to Quadman to allow him to work out the deal with the book being held for him while he did so. It was the seller's choice to put the book "On Hold" once he did that created a duty that doesn't exist in standard negotiations where the book is free to be taken by anyone else.

I am the seller. I just saw this thread. Normal rules means ill take in in the thread wins. I don't want PayPal on a huge transaction because I do other things (Ebay etc) I believe I have the right of refusal. The member lives in Canada and has been on the board a year. I asked about the address and he says he has a US address. To send a 10k book to an address where someone lives is kind of murky even if a relative or something.

He then wanted to do a 3rd party and at this point im seeing too many things going on. I decide to send my 10,000 book to an established boardie in the USA who've I've dealt with many times before and I trust.

This is not some 20, 100, or even 1,000 book. I did not accept the ill take it because of location and I placed it on HOLD until we can agree on TERMS. I did not like the terms.

BEFORE ANYONE JUDGES WHATS GOING ON PLEASE ASK YOURSELF WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH YOUR 5 FIGURE BOOK.

"On Hold" means all other discussions about the book cease until details are worked out. The book is off the market until a deal is finalized or until the parties agree that no deal is sealed.

This. Until it is stated otherwise in the thread.

It did not show up in the posted p.m. exchange...but according to quadman...the first p.m. sent was the :takeit: sign.

After that...they were just ironing out the details and quadman simply asked if the seller was willing to used a mutually known third party as a middleman. quadman never said he would not take the book if one wasn't used...he was simply asking if it was ok to use one.

I'm just not really seeing much fault with the seller here. We are all supposing a lot about his intentions when taking Rick's unconditional takeit but it's entirely up to the seller to accept or reject extraneous after-the-fact conditions when he states his requirements in the very first post.

I am the seller. I just saw this thread. Normal rules means ill take in in the thread wins. I don't want PayPal on a huge transaction because I do other things (Ebay etc) I believe I have the right of refusal. The member lives in Canada and has been on the board a year. I asked about the address and he says he has a US address. To send a 10k book to an address where someone lives is kind of murky even if a relative or something.

He then wanted to do a 3rd party and at this point im seeing too many things going on. I decide to send my 10,000 book to an established boardie in the USA who've I've dealt with many times before and I trust.

This is not some 20, 100, or even 1,000 book. I did not accept the ill take it because of location and I placed it on HOLD until we can agree on TERMS. I did not like the terms.

BEFORE ANYONE JUDGES WHATS GOING ON PLEASE ASK YOURSELF WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH YOUR 5 FIGURE BOOK.

Honestly, I wouldn't have put it on hold in the first place.

i'm no lawyer, but this would be my interpretation as well

agreed, otherwise the On Hold is meaningless. And if the pm buyer is meeting all of your conditions the On Hold should become Sold to the pm buyer.

Since you weren't excepting PayPal, wouldn't you be requiring either a check or money order? And wouldn't you HAVE that check or money order in hand before shipping out the book? (shrug)

I'm just not really seeing much fault with the seller here. We are all supposing a lot about his intentions when taking Rick's unconditional takeit but it's entirely up to the seller to accept or reject extraneous after-the-fact conditions when he states his requirements in the very first post.

Which is entirely true unless the seller creates a duty for himself by voluntarily placing the book on hold. The buyer has bought from many people, never had a problem, and offered to have it sent to a party that's mutually respected and trusted.

You can't tell someone you are holding a book for them, which he did after noting that he knew the buyer was in Canada, and then unilaterally sell it out from under the hold.

I sold quadman 30K worth of books, a few days after he arrived. You couldn't ask for a better buyer to deal with.

There were no after-the-fact "conditions" stated. The buyer simply asked a question.

"I was thinking with such a large purchase maybe we can use reputable board member as a middle man? Maybe Filter or GAtor?"

The seller did not want to use a third party and that was ok with the buyer...as was noted in his next p.m reply to the seller.

"I'll send a cheque straight up then "

I sold quadman 30K worth of books, a few days after he arrived. You couldn't ask for a better buyer to deal with.

Bingo. Frankly, Quadman is more of a known commodity to most in the sales forums than the seller.

I believe I have the right of refusal.

I'm just on the sidelines here and ran across the thread when I saw a lot of interests here.

My 2c

A seller does have the right to refuse a sale if they don't feel comfortable with the conditions of the sale (conditions can change the dynamics of the deal).

I agree with the seller that I personally would not feel comfortable sending a five figure book to a third party.

2c