• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Speaking of Cal - I would like to bring up a point he made a couple days ago. He really was against Claudio's auction in that he planned to give his book to the person who had the best story and not necessarily the highest bidder. I realize this is not against the rules and it sounds like a bunch of people enjoyed the format but does it open up a can of worms in terms of people not having to give the book to the highest bidder in auctions? I know Claudio has good intentions and as always his heart in a good place but does his modification to his auction leave a huge loop hole in the auction format? Can people now place a reserve on a book and not sell the book if it does not hit that reserve as long as they say its a reserve auction?

It was obviously an exception and the final criteria was not arbitrary, so I don’t think it sets potential problems – aside from that, I would never introduce a reserve price format here: it would be unusable and would cause a lot of potential stir. (thumbs u

Speaking of Cal - I would like to bring up a point he made a couple days ago. He really was against Claudio's auction in that he planned to give his book to the person who had the best story and not necessarily the highest bidder. I realize this is not against the rules and it sounds like a bunch of people enjoyed the format but does it open up a can of worms in terms of people not having to give the book to the highest bidder in auctions? I know Claudio has good intentions and as always his heart in a good place but does his modification to his auction leave a huge loop hole in the auction format? Can people now place a reserve on a book and not sell the book if it does not hit that reserve as long as they say its a reserve auction?

The seller can stipulate whatever rules he wants in his own sales thread - it's up to you to decide whether you want the book bad enough to abide by those rules :shrug:

Can people now place a reserve on a book and not sell the book if it does not hit that reserve as long as they say its a reserve auction?

As long as you follow the implicit "rule" of declaring a BIN, it seems that you can do whatever you want to in an auction, because there are no explicit auction rules here.

Refer to the Auction Discussion Thread , ad nauseam ...many of us were saying that if Arch is indeed going to allow auctions, we need to specify some rules and put them in their own forum...but that never went anywhere, for reasons I don't understand...so, for now....can of worms.

I understand 1Cool’s doubts, as often confusion stems from the best intentions, but in this case I just added an option to the rules, without skipping any.

Bidders knew beforehand that a highest bid would have been mandatory but not necessarily enough, so it’s a very different case compared to a reserve format, which here could be manipulated as it’s not automated like eBay’s engine system. :)

Refer to the Auction Discussion Thread , ad nauseam ...many of us were saying that if Arch is indeed going to allow auctions, we need to specify some rules and put them in their own forum...but that never went anywhere, for reasons I don't understand...

Right, but so far auctions has not caused big problems… unless the marketplace appropriate section does not becomes cluttered with auctions they just work smoothly.

in this case I just added an option to the rules, without skipping any.

I thought the idea was clever...I liked it. (thumbs u

I was just pointing out that no one can question you (or anyone else) about violating auction rules, because there essentially are no rules.

Can people now place a reserve on a book and not sell the book if it does not hit that reserve as long as they say its a reserve auction?

As long as you follow the implicit "rule" of declaring a BIN, it seems that you can do whatever you want to in an auction, because there are no explicit auction rules here.

Refer to the Auction Discussion Thread , ad nauseam ...many of us were saying that if Arch is indeed going to allow auctions, we need to specify some rules and put them in their own forum...but that never went anywhere, for reasons I don't understand...so, for now....can of worms.

Patience. How long have we been calling for a movie/tv sub-forum. Took a year and a half to get it. The auction question was only half a year ago. I figure we have at least 6 months to wait for it.

I really wish we could put boardies, who habitually overgrade raw books on Ebay, on the probation list or HOS.

I would think that if you were a CGC SS facilitator, and you lost someone's key golden age book, you would be on the probation list until you replaced it.

I really wish we could put boardies, who habitually overgrade raw books on Ebay, on the probation list or HOS.

I would think that if you were a CGC SS facilitator, and you lost someone's key golden age book, you would be on the probation list until you replaced it.

:o

:o

Double :o

Has this been brought up before?

giphy-111.gif