• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Alright. Like I said I have faith the elders of the tribe. Just felt there was merit for further discussion. Valiant, hopefully there are no hard feelings. Hope all of enjoy your weekend (thumbs u

I wanted to add that personally I appreciated your input, it was not bad, just didn't agree.

Everytime I see "elders" or "longtime board members" I find another gray hair *sigh*.

Alright. Like I said I have faith the elders of the tribe. Just felt there was merit for further discussion. Valiant, hopefully there are no hard feelings. Hope all of enjoy your weekend (thumbs u

:gossip: Vaillant

THANK YOU!

:)

It isn't a mis-spelling folks... I imagine it has something to do with this:

1541336239_2ad2cc154c_z.jpg

(thumbs u

-slym

Edited by slym2none

:gossip: Vaillant

Yep. Sorry about that. I've always been bad with names, KPG.

No problem blazingsaddles :)

enhanced-buzz-15175-1365269353-3.jpg

:baiting::jokealert:

-slym

I still find your take to be spot on.

And you have to explain me your Hustruck comparision, as I entirely miss it.

Would Hustruck have sold a book to a lowest bidding seller? I don’t think so, as he was mostly doing business to get as much possible money from the books, not to have fun. Aside from this, as "screwed" as he might seem, he always sounded like a young person not entirely conscious of the inherent dishonesty of many of his decisions. Just saying…

If Valiant were replaced with Hustruck and the exact same thread were duplicated I believe it would draw much more ire, yes.

Once again, my goal here is not to offend you, but just for us as a community to more clearly define some of the grey area moving forward.

Hustruck, or someone like him, could easily have called in a favor to announce his buddy as the winner without him actually winning anything. The benefit? Well if the BIN was $1000 and the highest bid was $375 it would give the seller an out if he was unhappy with the highest realized price. Once again, Im not saying this is the case here. I believe your heart is pure, Sir, but IMO offering up books via auction to anyone but the highest non-PL/HOS bidder is a recipe for abuse.

I just wanted to clarify for you and I don't believe anyone rules were broken. I just wanted to clarify my position. :foryou:

The more definitions and rules that are put in place, the more grey areas will be created.

More rules that actually allow some of these dinks to say "well, I didn't break any rules." :facepalm:

Valliant's thread didn't break any rules but more importantly was more in the spirit of what the sales area used to be. These discussions about possibilities detract more and more from that each day. Not intentionally of course but at this point, I believe the rule book needs to be hid under the couch for a while and some more common sense used or make more subsections of rules that make it more and more complicated to brand someone a crappy seller and someone to watch out for.

Valliant had a nice idea for a thread, got some nice stories and brought out some friendly communication other than take it or PM sent.

Celebrate that.

Well said! I looked at Claudio's thread and I passed because I don't love to write, (and I probably have that book somewhere;) but I did point a few other people who I think do like to write to it...one of the reasons I linked it on some other thread where others who I think write well posted;)

Was not something I'd think of doing, but it was refreshing.

I thought it was a great thread, and knowing Claudio through PMs and such, I'd definitely say he had the best of intentions. I had no illusions that I was going to win that book with my story, it was just a fun story to share, and fun to read other peoples' stories. It was a serendipitous thread.

I still find your take to be spot on.

Save face much?

:eyeroll:

And you have to explain me your Hustruck comparision, as I entirely miss it.

Would Hustruck have sold a book to a lowest bidding seller? I don’t think so, as he was mostly doing business to get as much possible money from the books, not to have fun. Aside from this, as "screwed" as he might seem, he always sounded like a young person not entirely conscious of the inherent dishonesty of many of his decisions. Just saying…

If Valiant were replaced with Hustruck and the exact same thread were duplicated I believe it would draw much more ire, yes.

Big difference between Valiant and Hustruck. Valiant, I don't believe nor do I see, has ever had any issues on the boards. Whereas Hustruck has had many. It is extremely probable that there would have been more ire if it was a Hustruck thread. I think most of us would not believe he would even had the book in his possession. I don't think anyone thought Valiant did not have the book or that he would not have shipped it. Again, BIG difference between the two boardies you mentioned.

What are the rules on this? Is the seller required to show PMs to prove who was first?

Its usually timestamped with who ever puts up the I'll take it first, over agreements in PM if the seller never post something like "sold per PM" or buyer saying "I'll take per PM", etc. Thats usually how its done,but can be different depending on what rules the seller post in their thread, since they could make a rule saying they would go by the time stamp of the agreement made in PM, and not the I'll take it in the thread. This guy however didn't even post any rules about how he handles timestamps which is really one of the most frustrating things to deal with, when this occurs. If nothings posted about it, I assume it goes to the default manner I mentioned above. I also hate the fact he's having the customer pay the Paypal fee instead of just working it into the price.

The seller specified Paypal only, however the first :takeit: by PM was conditional on him accepting money order, so not a real :takeit:.

I don't think it was conditional. in the thread he says open, so I don't think it was a deal breaker if he wanted paypal. The I'll take it, I think then is still valid, because I think the buyer was using it as a negotiations tactic, and would of still bought the book regardless using paypal, if the seller wanted.

I refuse to buy from anyone that would say please add in 2.9% for PayPal fees. Really? You are selling on the boards for free and you can't suck up that small price of doing business? It is almost like penalizing someone for paying you immediately. :eyeroll: Actually, isn't it against the selling rules to ask for that?

I refuse to buy from anyone that would say please add in 2.9% for PayPal fees. Really? You are selling on the boards for free and you can't suck up that small price of doing business? It is almost like penalizing someone for paying you immediately. :eyeroll: Actually, isn't it against the selling rules to ask for that?
I don't think so? Just something many people don't seem to like, since it looks like a tax on the buyer, and because of how redundant it seems. After all how hard is it to work it into your price when selling? 2c