• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The 3% add-on CC/PP fee is also charged at places like Comiclink and Pedigree. You don't pay it when using a check or money order. Doesn't really bother me if given a choice. If I happen to buy a higher dollar item, then I have sent a check which of course takes longer.
That depends on where you live, and how expensive the item your buying is. People that live in states that Clink have offices in also have to pay the sales tax, not just the 3%. Saving that 3% can save you some money if its a expensive item your buying, and already getting taxed on it. I get charged an extra 7% in state tax, plus the 3% which would add up to 10% extra of the final price, which means that when I bid I have to keep in mind how much the tax would be, which is why I always pay by check, since that 3% can add up.

The sales tax is based on where you live - not the 3% PP/CC fee for those sites that do this. I think we are saying the same thing. One thing to add that I experienced - I had won a fairly significant lot from HA, around $1000. I was travelling to Dallas anyway and scheduled to stop by their offices to pay and pick it up, thjinmking I'll save shipping.

I live in Oklahoma so never had to pay sales tax with HA but since I actually paid within Texas, I got hit with the sales tax which was more than the shipping/insurance would have been lol

I read his post as saying he will take it. No negotiations. After stating he will take it he is asking if the seller will take a money order. That is not a negotiation. If the question was "are you sure you want PayPal? I don't mind sending a money order" after the buyer said they would take it then how is that negotiating?

I read it as he went back and put the I'll take it in the thread while all of the PMing is going on. If it went down the way you describe it, I would agree with you. There is no harm in asking, and if the answer is no, you send him the Paypal.

Alright. Like I said I have faith the elders of the tribe. Just felt there was merit for further discussion. Valiant, hopefully there are no hard feelings. Hope all of enjoy your weekend (thumbs u

No hard feelings at all, and I am really sorry you did not win. I had to choose, and it was hard to choose between a final selection of 3-4 bidders – as I explained to think I would have favored dead_clone since the beginning entirely goes against the idea behind the thread and besides this I barely know most of the final high bidders (including him).

I also saw your points but really I think it is unlikely someone follows my idea to get monetary advantage in some dishonest way.

I would be more curious to hear why Sqeggs considered your observations "spot on" and in which sense, as besides the point you raised about "shady areas" of which one could take advantage of the rules I still can’t see much risk for future auctions with variables added. hm

My screen name derives from this french-belgian comics character (not sure the car posted is closely related to him as he is a F1 racer):

Michel%20Vaillant%2002%20HC.jpg

I took it as meaning we all trust Claudio, but if someone unknown shows up on the boards and tries to run the same type of sales thread then you would have set the precedent that it was ok. Personally, I thought the sales thread was interesting and I am not for sure how it would be used as a scam. If you just wanted the most amount of money a simple auction would have sufficed. Equally, if someone only wants to sell to a particular boardie then they could have just sold it to them in the first place.

That would be a Top-10 board change. If you put someone on ignore, their comments just cease to exist. It makes some of the replies look funny, but still effective.

Here's what I do (and seems to work pretty well)

1. I send myself a PM with the title 'BLOCKED BOARDIE LIST' so I can find it in my mailbox.

2. I create a new reply each time I block someone, add the link to their user profile and give a reason why I am doing it:

HusTruck/CGCBoy - Problematic buyer/seller on PL/HOS.

3. Hit 'Submit' and then the list is bumped back up to the first page of my messages, then I've got the guy on ignore, and I've got a brief idea to why I blocked him. Simple.

blocked.png

That way if I see someone's block posts and can't remember why I blocked them, I just go back to this PM and check. My block list is pretty long, but surprisingly, about half of the people on there stopped posting after going through the PL. I only have a few non-sales related blocks.

1. I send myself a PM with the title 'BLOCKED BOARDIE LIST' so I can find it in my mailbox.

2. I create a new reply each time I block someone, add the link to their user profile and give a reason why I am doing it:

3. Hit 'Submit' and then the list is bumped back up to the first page of my messages, then I've got the guy on ignore, and I've got a brief idea to why I blocked him. Simple.

blocked.png

That way if I see someone's block posts and can't remember why I blocked them, I just go back to this PM and check. My block list is pretty long, but surprisingly, about half of the people on there stopped posting after going through the PL. I only have a few non-sales related blocks.

Libtard :D

blocked.png

That's the one I liked the most!

blocked.png

That good sir is an excellent idea....... (thumbs u

blocked.png

That's the one I liked the most!

That one was hilarious. Some thread got locked that I commented in on a lefty/righty discussion - he couldn't beat the clock and get his rebuttal in on time, so he PM'd me with it, calling me a jack-booted one-percenter or something like that. First time on the boards someone ever sent a raging "I get the last word!" PM.

I took it as meaning we all trust Claudio, but if someone unknown shows up on the boards and tries to run the same type of sales thread then you would have set the precedent that it was ok. Personally, I thought the sales thread was interesting and I am not for sure how it would be used as a scam. If you just wanted the most amount of money a simple auction would have sufficed. Equally, if someone only wants to sell to a particular boardie then they could have just sold it to them in the first place.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. No offense intended toward Claudio, who is a great guy.

That's what I do as well. :grin:

I really need to start doing this.

I'm usually pretty fastidious about keeping my eBay Blocked Bidder List up to date. Unfortunately, it's becoming clear that I'm going to need to do the same thing here too.