• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I refuse to buy from anyone that would say please add in 2.9% for PayPal fees. Really? You are selling on the boards for free and you can't suck up that small price of doing business? It is almost like penalizing someone for paying you immediately. :eyeroll: Actually, isn't it against the selling rules to ask for that?

No, I think it's only against the rules to request the payment be sent as a "gift" to avoid the fees(and leave the buyer without any recourse if the deal goes sour).

You are correct, it is the no Personal Payment option that is against the rules not the 2.9% thing. If you are going to charge for it, you might as well round it up to 3% for easy total calculations. lol

I refuse to buy from anyone that would say please add in 2.9% for PayPal fees. Really? You are selling on the boards for free and you can't suck up that small price of doing business? It is almost like penalizing someone for paying you immediately. :eyeroll: Actually, isn't it against the selling rules to ask for that?

Sellers can build that fee into their sell price and then you are still paying it, it's just not so obvious. Either way, you're paying for it.

What are the rules on this? Is the seller required to show PMs to prove who was first?

Its usually timestamped with who ever puts up the I'll take it first, over agreements in PM if the seller never post something like "sold per PM" or buyer saying "I'll take per PM", etc. Thats usually how its done,but can be different depending on what rules the seller post in their thread, since they could make a rule saying they would go by the time stamp of the agreement made in PM, and not the I'll take it in the thread. This guy however didn't even post any rules about how he handles timestamps which is really one of the most frustrating things to deal with, when this occurs. If nothings posted about it, I assume it goes to the default manner I mentioned above. I also hate the fact he's having the customer pay the Paypal fee instead of just working it into the price.

I guess my question is more if the seller is obligated to actually produce "evidence" of a PM I'll take it being time stamped before an I'll take it in a thread.

It probably sounds better to say the price is xx, but you can get a discount for cash or check.

This is a recurring discussion here, and it fascinates me each time.

Is there really a difference between a seller saying:

1) Book costs $1030, but take a $30 discount if paying cash or check;

vs

2) Book costs $1000, but add $30 if paying via fee-based PayPal;

The only difference is mental, right? Why does the phrasing in #2 bother us so much more than #1? This is just a rhetorical question, of course...just one of the vagaries of human psychology, I suppose...fascinating.

It probably sounds better to say the price is xx, but you can get a discount for cash or check.

vs

The only difference is mental, right? Why does the phrasing in #2 bother us so much more than #1? This is just a rhetorical question, of course...just one of the vagaries of human psychology, I suppose...fascinating.

People getting a discount. :banana:

People getting an extra fee. :pullhair:

People paying a fee they don't know they are paying. zzz

vs

:roflmao:

vs

Set to the music of Simon and Garfunkels: Sound of Silence

An example of a fee I continue to get angry about, even though its pointless, is the extra charge Canada Post and the couriers, Fed Ex, UPS etc, charge for "brokering" packages at the border.

I admit that if this was simply factored into the original shipping charge I would never think of it, but since its added on as an extra fee, and then taxed again as a separate "service", I cannot stop myself from getting angry every time I have to pay it.

And the "fee" is only charged when a package has customs/tax owing, so its not even really a brokerage fee, its really a fee charged for collecting the tax which they have to collect anyway in every other daily transaction.

I guess its predictable enough (they will justify it as the extra time the delivery person has to take to collect it etc) and not the end of the world, but to me its "tax farming" and gouging. I am being taxed on the tax and I hate it. :preach:

An example of a fee I continue to get angry about, even though its pointless, is the extra charge Canada Post and the couriers, Fed Ex, UPS etc, charge for "brokering" packages at the border.

I admit that if this was simply factored into the original shipping charge I would never think of it, but since its added on as an extra fee, and then taxed again as a separate "service", I cannot stop myself from getting angry every time I have to pay it.

And the "fee" is only charged when a package has customs/tax owing, so its not even really a brokerage fee, its really a fee charged for collecting the tax which they have to collect anyway in every other daily transaction.

I guess its predictable enough (they will justify it as the extra time the delivery person has to take to collect it etc) and not the end of the world, but to me its "tax farming" and gouging. I am being taxed on the tax and I hate it. :preach:

I hear that. It always boggles me why I pay for some packages and others get dropped on my doorstep.

vs

It makes it seem that the vendor is being put out by a service that provides instant payment and security -- both of which clearly facilitate Internet transactions.

They might as well total up additional percentages for packing tape, boxes, bubble wrap, the cost of gas to the postal outlet, the mental stress of leaving the house ...

I recently received a package from a boardie that charged me $10 in shipping.

When it arrived... the postage label said $4.42.

His response to my PM... " I had to buy a box".

A box that was both possibly used and too small to ship what was inside btw.

3% in hidden, added-on fees isn't so bad... one can suck that up.

Paying 53% + more in hidden fees... well that stings a little.

xxx ooo

Rupp

xxx ooo

Rupp

How do people do this? I almost never charge enough for shipping on my sales here. I either do free shipping or eat the difference.

xxx ooo

Rupp

He'd go on my 'never again' list.

The 3% add-on CC/PP fee is also charged at places like Comiclink and Pedigree. You don't pay it when using a check or money order. Doesn't really bother me if given a choice. If I happen to buy a higher dollar item, then I have sent a check which of course takes longer.

The 3% add-on CC/PP fee is also charged at places like Comiclink and Pedigree. You don't pay it when using a check or money order. Doesn't really bother me if given a choice. If I happen to buy a higher dollar item, then I have sent a check which of course takes longer.
That depends on where you live, and how expensive the item your buying is. People that live in states that Clink have offices in also have to pay the sales tax, not just the 3%. Saving that 3% can save you some money if its a expensive item your buying, and already getting taxed on it. I get charged an extra 7% in state tax, plus the 3% which would add up to 10% extra of the final price, which means that when I bid I have to keep in mind how much the tax would be, which is why I always pay by check, since that 3% can add up.

This is in the sales thread. And should probably be discussed here, if at all.

I wasn't making a new offer, just asking if he'd be open to a money order. But when I read the reply from him, I was so pissed (thinking at the time I was the first one) that I deleted the PM from my inbox.

But the OP likely still has it (?) and can post a screenshot of it or quote me. I basically just asked if he was open to a money order, followed up by, "Just Curious." I figured he'd say no (never hurts to ask, does it?) and say he wants paypal only, to which I would've gladly paid up.

If I'm to be grilled for asking about a different form of payment, then people need to lighten the *spoon* up, period. People have asked about different forms of payment than what I specified many times in my sales threads in the past, it's common and innocent to ask imo.

Looking back, I should've specified, I'd still be open to paypal, my bad if that wasn't clear enough, but that is why I followed up the inquiry with a "Just Curious" assuming he would mean it's just an inquiry, but also since I did post a takeit in the thread, he knew I was intending to buy the comic.

Jerome

This is not intended as a shot at you, Jerome, and I apologize if you take it that way. But a seller shouldn't have to put everything on hold and do all kinds of gyrations while a buyer is asking questions or negotiating. While a buyer is negotiating or asking questions, if someone, whether by PM or otherwise, takes it, with no qualifications, they get it. Unless there are other more specific instructions in the initial thread.

Unfortunately, most people say "usual terms apply" which has as much meaning as "muskrat pablum Asmodeus."

You dropping an "I'll Take it" in the thread while you are negotiating is confusing, as no one should be expected to monitor their sales threads constantly in real time.

I firmly believe that the risk of loss should always be placed upon the person who is negotiating or asking questions - if they don't want to bear the risk of loss, they should pop the BIN unequivocally.