• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Regarding the alternatives, you suggested them after the other party wanted to cancel the deal. Maybe they felt pressured to accept your proposal after you threw out several proposals. That's why I would just return the books and walk away from the whole thing unless the unhappy side is the one to suggest a resolution. Maybe I'm completely wrong? I'm just offering up an opinion. (shrug)

No, I'm not suggesting you're wrong. :foryou: I just didn't understand what you were trying to say.

I agree that returning all books and walking away is the easiest thing. It just seemed wrong that he agreed to something and then is able to back out of it. Take an extra day or two to decide, fine...but don't agree and then back out especially when I've already taken care of my end.

I'd agree except for the rusty staple. It might just put the book out of his collecting focus and he just doesn't want it but was also trying to be accomodating?

I really try to avoid trades, I'm rarely comfortable with them, it's so much easier to just sell one thing, make sure the person is happy, then get the other thing I want. Less possible hurt feelings.

The easiest thing would be have him refund, send the books back and start over fresh.

If he does not agree to that, then it's time to be here.

I sent him a message to return my book and refund my money. I'll send back his books.

I would have been happy with the resolution, but I'll go with the crowd here and just reset everything back to the way it was.

Does anyone think I should contact the person I originally got the book from here? The rusty staple wasn't disclosed when I bought the book myself. No malicious intent...I think he missed it just like I did and my trading partner did.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

No.

I sent him a message to return my book and refund my money. I'll send back his books.

I would have been happy with the resolution, but I'll go with the crowd here and just reset everything back to the way it was.

Does anyone think I should contact the person I originally got the book from here? The rusty staple wasn't disclosed when I bought the book myself.

..... that depends on the book and the grade. CGC seems to ignore staple rust below certain grades and others do as well. There are also a LOT of people who hate it. Partial rust that doesn't migrate is OK to me on some books. My feeling on this.....and this is how I would proceed, if I missed it and I didn't return it during the stated return period, the I would accept it as a learning experience. I might send a friendly note to the original seller pointing out the oversight..... but if I missed it and didn't return it in the specified time..... it would be on me 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I might send a friendly note to the original seller pointing out the oversight...

No, no...I wouldn't be asking for any money back or anything like that. It would just be to point out the oversight. That's all.

If I missed something as significant as that, I'd appreciate the head's up. I actually sold a book several years ago that I had forgotten had rust migration in it. I offered to refund but the buyer elected to keep it anyway, but he never bought another book from me.... but that could be simply due to the fact I haven't had anything he wanted since. We're still friends, but it's the kind of mistake that really shouldn't go unmentioned.....it's a "teachable moment". GOD BLESS...

Will you take X

No I want X + Y

Thanks but going to shop around

*time passes*OK I will take X PAY ME NOW OR I WILL HATE YOU FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

This is what keeps our hobby so relaxing and stress free. lol

On the other hand that is how it works on Clink. You make an offer and whatever counters the seller may make and you refuse, they can, for up to 5 days, come back and take your original offer.

So that example below, if it went down on Clink, the buyer is on the hook for the purchase.

Granted in the case of Clink the rules are spelled out in advance, I never much liked it myself. My experience here has been that a counter does void the offer unless explicitly renewed. 2c

Excuse me? I offered you 1700 on 4/15. You declined and wanted 1750. I told you I was going to shop around.

2 days later on 4/17 you said you'll accept 1700 and I didn't reply. Still shopping.

Good luck to you

I might send a friendly note to the original seller pointing out the oversight...

No, no...I wouldn't be asking for any money back or anything like that. It would just be to point out the oversight. That's all.

If I missed something as significant as that, I'd appreciate the head's up. I actually sold a book several years ago that I had forgotten had rust migration in it. I offered to refund but the buyer elected to keep it anyway, but he never bought another book from me.... but that could be simply due to the fact I haven't had anything he wanted since. We're still friends, but it's the kind of mistake that really shouldn't go unmentioned.....it's a "teachable moment". GOD BLESS...

If I were the seller, I would want the book returned and would want to give a refund even if considerable time had passed. What is it they have on the sign in the L.L. Bean stores? Something like, "If you are not satisfied with one of our products, we don't want you to keep it."

Partly this is good business sense so a potential future customer doesn't write you off and partly it's fairness. If the deal was (implicitly) for a book with clean staples and it turns out the book has rusty staples, then the deal went wrong and should be made right, however much time may have passed.

That's my view, but I'm known to be an exceptionally wonderful person. :acclaim:

Will you take X

No I want X + Y

On the other hand that is how it works on Clink. You make an offer and whatever counters the seller may make and you refuse, they can, for up to 5 days, come back and take your original offer.

So that example below, if it went down on Clink, the buyer is on the hook for the purchase.

Granted in the case of Clink the rules are spelled out in advance, I never much liked it myself. My experience here has been that a counter does void the offer unless explicitly renewed. 2c

Excuse me? I offered you 1700 on 4/15. You declined and wanted 1750. I told you I was going to shop around.

2 days later on 4/17 you said you'll accept 1700 and I didn't reply. Still shopping.

Good luck to you

You can decline a counter offer on clink and leave your bid open

or

you can decline a counter offer and cancel your bid.

If I were the seller, I would want the book returned and would want to give a refund even if considerable time had passed. What is it they have on the sign in the L.L. Bean stores? Something like, "If you are not satisfied with one of our products, we don't want you to keep it."

Partly this is good business sense so a potential future customer doesn't write you off and partly it's fairness. If the deal was (implicitly) for a book with clean staples and it turns out the book has rusty staples, then the deal went wrong and should be made right, however much time may have passed.

That's my view, but I'm known to be an exceptionally wonderful person. :acclaim:

What if the book developed the minor rust over the last year, while in the new owners possession?

Will you take X

No I want X + Y

Good luck to you

You can decline a counter offer on clink and leave your bid open

or

you can decline a counter offer and cancel your bid.

Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten. I had a memory of being surprised by a seller taking an offer I thought was void, but I guess I had chosen the wrong option and didn't even notice.

What if the book developed the minor rust over the last year, while in the new owners possession?

If it was a high-dollar book, then I imagine both buyer and seller would have inspected the book closely enough that the rust would have been caught right away if it were there. So, if a buyer wanted to return a high-dollar book a year later that I was convinced was rust-free when I sold it, I have to admit that could be an issue.

For a lower value book, I wouldn't quibble even if I thought the rust had developed because of poor storage by the buyer. I'd still just refund him the dough.

Edited to add: I suppose there does have to be a statute of limitations at some point. Anybody who reads this and says, "i've got a book i bought from you on eBay in 1999 that's not looking so good and I want my money back" I ain't doing that refund! :sumo:

Edited by Sqeggs