• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It just so happened there was another person who wanted it more and offered more to try and pry the book away from its rightful claimer.

Actually, I'm not sure this has been proven.

I'd asked early in the thread if someone posted something to the effect of 'I'll take it if he passes' but nobody replied.

It's just a theory, unless someone knows differently.

I don't believe that anyone did this. My take is that Jimbo_707 did not receive another offer at a higher price. I think he didn't like his interaction with ComCav over who would pick up the cost of shipping and decided not to sell him the book.

I think Jimbo_707 still has the book and can resolve this matter by cashing ComCav's check -- which includes the $15 shipping charge -- and mailing him the book.

So, basically riding the fence.

Shocking :baiting:

lol

I've already stated that I think Cav should get the book.

But a little patience also goes a long way. I'm sure Jimbo read my posts so there's no need to repeat them.

I know it was mentioned but did someone really offer more in the thread itself and if so who?

That is still speculation at this point. Jimbo said he had not sold the book, and it was still with him.

It's all moot. He's taking days to weigh his integrity against a couple hundred dollars. I know I will never deal with the guy. I assume others are on the same page.

I speculate that he sees himself as a man of integrity. (What person doesn't? - Don't answer that, Billy!) In which case he could be struggling to accept that he has made a mistake, especially such an egregious one. We are all experts at self-deception - trust me, I know!

Or to put it another way - the rock on which we stand is also the one on which we founder.

I did not see the entire thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong here. The seller agreed to a sale of a book for a lot less than what it was worth and the buyer thought he was getting a great deal, the seller discovers this after making the deal and wants to change his mind...is this correct?

I understand that a deal is a deal and should be honored. But...if we are also a community of like minded people, why would anyone want to take advantage of another community member's naivete?

Incorrect. The consensus seemed to be the opposite, that the seller actually got more than a reasonable assessment of gpa would have called for. It just so happened there was another person who wanted it more and offered more to try and pry the book away from its rightful claimer.

This is not a case where someone posted a book for sale for $100 when it should have been $1000. The seller posted a reasonable number, the buyer posted the Take It. Discussion ensued regarding shipping and was resolved by the buyer agreeing to pay $15 for shipping. The seller then had second thoughts and blew up the deal. Really cut and dry.

That's why I asked earlier. Did someone actually see the post where another member offered more in the thread to try and take the book away or is that speculation? I was positive someone said they saw it and that person deleted it later.

It almost bothers me more that someone would do that. For example, I spent months looking for the perfect ASM 194 that was signed by Stan Lee and Wolfman. I was very particular that I wanted it in Silver and the signatures in the right spot. As luck would have it, one popped up on the boards but Darkowl beat me too it. I never considered offering the seller more. I simply waited a few weeks and typed Darkowl and said I would offer him more if he ever decided to resell. You know what he did? He immediately sold it to me for what he paid....Less actually, since he shipped it for free. He could have said no or tried to gouge me for a few bucks and it never entered his mind to do that because he's a good person.

That's why I asked earlier. Did someone actually see the post where another member offered more in the thread to try and take the book away or is that speculation? I was positive someone said they saw it and that person deleted it later.

This

I don't believe that anyone did this. My take is that Jimbo_707 did not receive another offer at a higher price. I think he didn't like his interaction with ComCav over who would pick up the cost of shipping and decided not to sell him the book.

I think Jimbo_707 still has the book and can resolve this matter by cashing ComCav's check -- which includes the $15 shipping charge -- and mailing him the book.

See my post two up from yours. So far as I know, the only post deleted from the original thread was Jimbo_707's initial post giving the price of the book and his terms -- he expected the buyer to pay shipping.

I think the dispute was between Jimbo_707 and ComCav over who would pay for shipping. ComCav agreed to pick it up, but apparently Jimbo_707 didn't like the exchange and canceled the sale.

So, another offer at a higher price doesn't seem to have been part of the tale. Of course, Jimbo_707 could clear all of this up if he chose to.

Sqeggs - I had numerous offers for a prompt flip of this book. I expect one of those same offers went to Jimbo_707 as well. Upon being asked the question, jimbo_707 never denied the accusation. He also did not confirm, but has sidestepped the issue every step of the way by offering red herrings and trying to make an issue of this shipping thing that was never an issue, he offered to pay for shipping.

i'd kinda like to know which boardie among us pulled the after-sale coup; another one i'd choose not to deal with down the road.

deadpool

I think it was...

I knew I wasn't crazy. This was at the very beginning.

Sqeggs - I had numerous offers for a prompt flip of this book. I expect one of those same offers went to Jimbo_707 as well. Upon being asked the question, jimbo_707 never denied the accusation. He also did not confirm, but has sidestepped the issue every step of the way by offering red herrings and trying to make an issue of this shipping thing that was never an issue, he offered to pay for shipping.

Ah, ok. I guess we won't know what happened with certainty unless he decides to tell us.

The seller has given two reason as far I can tell. He didn't like the buyer asking for shipping to be included and then said he priced the book incorrectly.

That was after he went into excuse mode

Now I'll say this, if there was a second, later buyer who induced jimbo_707 into this bizarre course of action - dude, just return the book to jimbo_707 for a refund. Extract yourself from this situation and allow jimbo_707 to do the right thing.

Anyway, all we have is conjecture in the absence of jimbo_707 participating in a meaningful and constructive fashion.

I vote we get this definition updated to state "no more than 5 days".

I think some wars were fought and won in less time. We're not talking about an Action 1 here.

True. It's a much scarcer book! :D

The seller has given two reason as far I can tell. He didn't like the buyer asking for shipping to be included and then said he priced the book incorrectly.

That was after he went into excuse mode

Correct. And after deleting posts and blocking all incoming PMs. More of an indication of covering your tracks than some sort of mistake.

Just a question:

Does the first sentence here sound like it's for a book that was accurately priced?

Just a question:

Does the first sentence here sound like it's for a book that was accurately priced?

That's irrelevant. If ComCav had overpaid by $200 would you be calling for him to be allowed out of the deal? Where is the personal responsibility. Why can't people start acting like adults?

Just a question:

That's irrelevant. If ComCav had overpaid by $200 would you be calling for him to be allowed out of the deal? Where is the personal responsibility. Why can't people start acting like adults?

Like I stated. Just a question.