• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

if you are going to bring up an issue in this thread, it helps to actually explain what you are talking about, as oftentimes the link to what you have a concern with either leads to a deleted thread, an edited post, or just doesn't work for whatever reason.

The whole thread looks like a CF...I'm not sure where to start. I don't see any books listed for sale. The only mention of a JCPenney reprint is in the title...

Good enough? :shrug:

Looks like action was taken Strike

Interesting. Is that the first time someone has gotten a strike for a pattern of posting non-cgc books? On a similar note, they do a good job of deleting threads where the seller has books for sale here and on Ebay, but I notice some sellers are allowed to sell the exact same item here and on other comic book sites, facebook and twitter and they do not get deleted. This is even after they become aware of it. Is Ebay the only one they enforce I wonder or are some sellers just given more leeway.

Thanks to all you boardies who pay promptly. For the third batch of ebay auctions in a row, all of my buyers, with one happy exception, are tardy payers. They're there to snipe at the last minute, and then they disappear to get allowance from mommy, I guess. Boardies here pay either right away or within reasonable time.

Are sellers that hard up for money or just really eager to say look at the grades I just got?

I really don't get the point in posting books for sale you don't have in hand or before scans can be posted also. :facepalm:

End rantrant

Are sellers that hard up for money or just really eager to say look at the grades I just got?

I really don't get the point in posting books for sale you don't have in hand or before scans can be posted also. :facepalm:

End rantrant

+1

Having received books back from CGC that were damaged in the mail, I don't sell anything until it's in hand and inspected. Beware, you're asking for trouble!

End rantrant

I don't get it either. Why the rush? Just get the books in hand and then list them for sale.

End rantrant

I don't get it either. Why the rush? Just get the books in hand and then list them for sale.

I would think in a number of cases the rush is that people want to get to potential buyers first. Either because they think there is not an enormous amount of demand out there, or they are worried that if they don't act fast supply will grow and prices will drop.

End rantrant

I would think in a number of cases the rush is that people want to get to potential buyers first. Either because they think there is not an enormous amount of demand out there, or they are worried that if they don't act fast supply will grow and prices will drop.

But it's not like anyone other than the person waiting for books to come back knows what's coming back. It's not like CGC broadcasts the details of my submission and someone else looks at that and says "Ah ha! I'm going to sell my copies before he gets his in hand", thereby depriving me of potential sales."

End rantrant

But it's not like anyone other than the person waiting for books to come back knows what's coming back. It's not like CGC broadcasts the details of my submission and someone else looks at that and says "Ah ha! I'm going to sell my copies before he gets his in hand", thereby depriving me of potential sales."

Buzzards know where the decaying bodies are . . .

Depending on some peoples work or just business 'style', they just get into the groove of turning over inventory as fast as possible, and keeping inventory for as little time as possible, freeing up cash and space.

This type of mentality is CRUCIAL for many types of businesses. Seemingly less so for comics, but comics can take up space and you might want to free up cash for your next big purchase or to earn money in savings, go to Vegas, etc...its a very common retail mentality. Just turn it over, drawing attention over a longer period gives you a better chance to sell (well some people think that). List them a few days early, make some pre-sells, garner some interest. Then get another big bump when the pictures come. You've got some of the cash faster (which is nice), and probably feel like you haven't lost out on other sales.

As a buyer I'm generally turned off by this, but not every strategy makes sense to everyone.

Depending on some peoples work or just business 'style', they just get into the groove of turning over inventory as fast as possible, and keeping inventory for as little time as possible, freeing up cash and space.

This type of mentality is CRUCIAL for many types of businesses. Seemingly less so for comics, but comics can take up space and you might want to free up cash for your next big purchase or to earn money in savings, go to Vegas, etc...its a very common retail mentality. Just turn it over, drawing attention over a longer period gives you a better chance to sell (well some people think that). List them a few days early, make some pre-sells, garner some interest. Then get another big bump when the pictures come. You've got some of the cash faster (which is nice), and probably feel like you haven't lost out on other sales.

As a buyer I'm generally turned off by this, but not every strategy makes sense to everyone.

.... For what it's worth, I always begin my sales thread with a list of what's coming, with grades and prices. I allow pending "take it's" while I'm posting pics(I'm slow....) so that people can avoid wasting their time waiting to see what's coming if I'm not going to have anything that interests them. I allow pendings for those repeat customers who trust my grading and may not have a light speed internet connection..... not that there's anything wrong with that. That's about as much calculation I do with my listings..... but that's just me, mileage may vary.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

One reason I love your threads Jimbo. With excellent grading and taste in books for me it does give a leg up with some of the great books you sell when you can trust it without a scan :grin:

You need a new GA thread by the way :baiting:

.... For what it's worth, I always begin my sales thread with a list of what's coming, with grades and prices. I allow pending "take it's" while I'm posting pics(I'm slow....) so that people can avoid wasting their time waiting to see what's coming if I'm not going to have anything that interests them. I allow pendings for those repeat customers who trust my grading and may not have a light speed internet connection..... not that there's anything wrong with that. That's about as much calculation I do with my listings..... but that's just me, mileage may vary.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by Norrin's lawyer

I think that is acceptable in the Mixed Age Threads and Miscellaneous. If you want to be extra safe, put BINs on everything, so someone could buy it if they wanted to. That should keep you squarely within the bounds of acceptable posting. But if it isn't, you will find out pretty quick. :rulez: