• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Just figured I'd share this experience.

SPECTRE_nWo selling books.

I noticed a Batman Adventures #12 9.8 Newsstand. I remembered Junkdrawer was looking for one. I sent him a quick text and he asked me to offer $1,500 shipped for the book.

I get a counter offer of $1,725 shipped.

I respectfully declined.

I get another counter of $1,625 shipped.

Junkdrawer tells me to accept. I write back to Spiderman-On-Tilt/Spectre and I'm told:

Bat 12 Newstand just sold. :sorry:

But sadly, I don't think that was the truth. Junkdrawer posted in the thread for the buyer to contact him if they wished to sell the book and :o Spectre PMs him. What do you know, the book is still available! And at a higher price nonetheless! :D

Nothing like not knowing what you have for sale then offering the book for a price you don't want to sell it for and making up a phantom sale to get out of the deal.

Just figured I'd share. Cool books! :banana:

Did Junk think you would get a better price than he would?

I thought all lawyers were rich :D

Being a middle man seems to cause more problems than solutions when it comes to sales on the boards. (shrug)

xxx ooo

Rupp

So the moral of the story is stop being a low baller?

GPA 12 Month: $1,373

GPA 90 Day: $1,809

GPA Last: $1,748

After eBay fees + PayPal fees:

12 Month: $1,194

90 Day: $1,573

Last: $1,520

I offered $1,500 fee free.

:taptaptap:

I noticed a Batman Adventures #12 9.8 Newsstand. I remembered Junkdrawer was looking for one. I sent him a quick text and he asked me to offer $1,500 shipped for the book.

I respectfully declined.

Junkdrawer tells me to accept. I write back to Spiderman-On-Tilt/Spectre and I'm told:

But sadly, I don't think that was the truth. Junkdrawer posted in the thread for the buyer to contact him if they wished to sell the book and :o Spectre PMs him. What do you know, the book is still available! And at a higher price nonetheless! :D

Nothing like not knowing what you have for sale then offering the book for a price you don't want to sell it for and making up a phantom sale to get out of the deal.

Being a middle man seems to cause more problems than solutions when it comes to sales on the boards. (shrug)

xxx ooo

Rupp

The seller for whatever reason has me on ignore or I would have attempted to buy it myself. Swick asked me if I wanted him to make an offer on it on my behalf.

I know Chris really wanted a copy (he just told me at Boston Comic Con) so I asked him if he'd like me to throw out an offer. I figured I had a seller and a potential buyer. I've provided links to books several times for friends if I see them.

I respectfully declined.

xxx ooo

Rupp

The seller for whatever reason has me on ignore or I would have attempted to buy it myself. Swick asked me if I wanted him to make an offer on it on my behalf.

You're a good guy Junk... hopefully you will walk away with that sweet copy.

xxx ooo

Rupp

I respectfully declined.

xxx ooo

Rupp

So he took you OFF ignore, when he saw your post about paying the new buyer more to flip it to him, to PM you about selling a book he had just told Swick was sold?

What did he tell you the circumstances were that the book was now available since he had said it was sold?

I respectfully declined.

xxx ooo

Rupp

So he took you OFF ignore, when he saw your post about paying the new buyer more to flip it to him, to PM you about selling a book he had just told Swick was sold?

What did he tell you the circumstances were that the book was now available since he had said it was sold?

IDK man a couple boardies were after that book, and I sold it pretty close to my asking price. Not sure you would have outbid them.

You would have paid high for the Newstand copy?

I did just notice the thread after it had sold. At one time I was looking to pay $2500 for one. I have never seen one, this is the first. The BIN price seemed fair. Anything under that would have been appreciated. I was hoping the new owner was a flipper/reseller and not a collector and possibly I could end up with the book some day.

He is a flipper/dealer. He actually just PMed me again saying he would void my sale because he took advantage of me not knowing haha

I would just sell him the other one copy at a similar price. He is a friend of mine.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was newstand edition till everyone brought it my attention haha

I wouldnt charge you $2500 obviously, but I just was educated from a couple people that even at $1900 I sold it too cheap or by mistake.

What would be fair and work for you?

John

Are you saying that you can get me this book (worship)

Yes I know we argued sometimes but I just think we have the same personality haha

What do you want to pay that would work for you?

Both your sarcasm detector and possibly your sense of humor need service work.

Both your sarcasm detector and possibly your sense of humor need service work.

Check your dash swick. Your "check humor" light may be flashing. lol

I respectfully declined.

xxx ooo

Rupp

IDK man a couple boardies were after that book, and I sold it pretty close to my asking price. Not sure you would have outbid them.

You would have paid high for the Newstand copy?

I did just notice the thread after it had sold. At one time I was looking to pay $2500 for one. I have never seen one, this is the first. The BIN price seemed fair. Anything under that would have been appreciated. I was hoping the new owner was a flipper/reseller and not a collector and possibly I could end up with the book some day.

He is a flipper/dealer. He actually just PMed me again saying he would void my sale because he took advantage of me not knowing haha

I would just sell him the other one copy at a similar price. He is a friend of mine.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was newstand edition till everyone brought it my attention haha

I wouldnt charge you $2500 obviously, but I just was educated from a couple people that even at $1900 I sold it too cheap or by mistake.

What would be fair and work for you?

John

Are you saying that you can get me this book (worship)

Yes I know we argued sometimes but I just think we have the same personality haha

What do you want to pay that would work for you?

Wow. Just wow.

I know Chris really wanted a copy (he just told me at Boston Comic Con) so I asked him if he'd like me to throw out an offer. I figured I had a seller and a potential buyer. I've provided links to books several times for friends if I see them.

Yep, Swick does this sort of thing often. He sent me a link to a Black Cat sketch before I even knew him really or were friends. hm Maybe Swick keeps a dosier on everyone and their likes. He is like the Hoover of CGC! :o

On a side note I am still pissed about letting that Dan Parent sketch get away. :mad:

What is going on?

Yup. I can't wait to hear this one.