• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

No. Now I'm going to stall until after your birthday.

Suck it,

Transplant

He should have never moved on the price.
He should never had partnered with you. Or at least cut you in for far less.
Considering that he was busy getting his lame Del Torro sigs while I was available to buy the books, he's lucky that I allowed him on the deal. :P
Your charity knows no bounds.

Just figured I'd share this experience.

SPECTRE_nWo selling books.

I noticed a Batman Adventures #12 9.8 Newsstand. I remembered Junkdrawer was looking for one. I sent him a quick text and he asked me to offer $1,500 shipped for the book.

I get a counter offer of $1,725 shipped.

I respectfully declined.

I get another counter of $1,625 shipped.

Junkdrawer tells me to accept. I write back to Spiderman-On-Tilt/Spectre and I'm told:

Bat 12 Newstand just sold. :sorry:

But sadly, I don't think that was the truth. Junkdrawer posted in the thread for the buyer to contact him if they wished to sell the book and :o Spectre PMs him. What do you know, the book is still available! And at a higher price nonetheless! :D

Nothing like not knowing what you have for sale then offering the book for a price you don't want to sell it for and making up a phantom sale to get out of the deal.

Just figured I'd share. Cool books! :banana:

Did Junk think you would get a better price than he would?

I thought all lawyers were rich :D

Being a middle man seems to cause more problems than solutions when it comes to sales on the boards. (shrug)

xxx ooo

Rupp

The seller for whatever reason has me on ignore or I would have attempted to buy it myself. Swick asked me if I wanted him to make an offer on it on my behalf.

So he took you OFF ignore, when he saw your post about paying the new buyer more to flip it to him, to PM you about selling a book he had just told Swick was sold?

What did he tell you the circumstances were that the book was now available since he had said it was sold?

IDK man a couple boardies were after that book, and I sold it pretty close to my asking price. Not sure you would have outbid them.

You would have paid high for the Newstand copy?

I did just notice the thread after it had sold. At one time I was looking to pay $2500 for one. I have never seen one, this is the first. The BIN price seemed fair. Anything under that would have been appreciated. I was hoping the new owner was a flipper/reseller and not a collector and possibly I could end up with the book some day.

He is a flipper/dealer. He actually just PMed me again saying he would void my sale because he took advantage of me not knowing haha

I would just sell him the other one copy at a similar price. He is a friend of mine.

Honestly I didn't even notice it was newstand edition till everyone brought it my attention haha

I wouldnt charge you $2500 obviously, but I just was educated from a couple people that even at $1900 I sold it too cheap or by mistake.

What would be fair and work for you?

John

Are you saying that you can get me this book (worship)

Yes I know we argued sometimes but I just think we have the same personality haha

What do you want to pay that would work for you?

Based on what he said above it sounds like he wasn't lying when he said the books had sold (to Harvey). Not saying I 100% believe anyone on the boards would let anyone out of a deal with a bunch of money left on the table - friend or no friend but maybe its true. So what did he do wrong?

He offered a book at a lower then retail price and had a buddy say he would take it when in negotiations with someone trying to lowball and combo books from his original offer (considering Junk had recently offered $2,500 for the same book). He says the book is sold and then buddy decided to give him some free info and told him to keep the book since it was worth more then $1,900. He accepts this offer (I'd have probably just sold it to my buddy for $1,900 at that point since I got my full price and could wash my hands of it) and tries to sell it to the guy who really wants it as a keeper and had offered $2,500 for it. So what did he really do if you believe a buddy temporarily bought his book?

bridge-for-sale.png

Junkdrawer did not offer $2,500.

Just because someone lists a book at a high price and someone offers something reasonable, that doesn't automatically turn the price into a "lowball offer". :makepoint:

bridge-for-sale.png

Just because someone lists a book at a high price and someone offers something reasonable, that doesn't automatically turn the price into a "lowball offer". :makepoint:

Junk says"I did just notice the thread after it had sold. At one time I was looking to pay $2500 for one. I have never seen one, this is the first. The BIN price seemed fair." So he is willing to pay the $1,900. Guy offered you the book for $1,625 or something and you did not accept the offer but instead decided to go the combo deal route which to me was trying to lowball the situation. Why not just buy the book for Junk for $1,625 when he offered it or even $1,750 which was his first offer. Both were much lower then the amount Junk was willing to spend.

bridge-for-sale.png

Junk says"I did just notice the thread after it had sold. At one time I was looking to pay $2500 for one. I have never seen one, this is the first. The BIN price seemed fair." So he is willing to pay the $1,900. Guy offered you the book for $1,625 or something and you did not accept the offer but instead decided to go the combo deal route which to me was trying to lowball the situation. Why not just buy the book for Junk for $1,625 when he offered it or even $1,750 which was his first offer. Both were much lower then the amount Junk was willing to spend.

That is what I made a joke out of. But it doesn't excuse the fake sale. There is no question it was a fake sale. He was talking to Harvey and Junkdrawer simultaneously. Don't let the fact that there was lowball haggling going on excuse the artifice of a nonexistent sale.

bridge-for-sale.png

tumblr_mwqcvlgU2k1rh2tw8o1_400.gif

You are CLEARLY missing the point and I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that you didn't read everything :wishluck: because the alternative is :sorry:

• I PMed Spectre for Junkdrawer as Spectre had Junkdrawer on Ignore.
  • Spectre chased me with counteroffers after MY initial offer was rejected.
  • Spectre realized that he COULD get more for the book, not DID get more.
  • Spectre renegged on his own offer citing a lame "sold via PM"
  • Junkdrawer thought Spectre was full of mess and posted in the sales thread "whoever bought this book, please contact me and I'll buy it."
  • Spectre immediately unignored Junkdrawer and PMed him saying the book was still available. It wasn't hours later. It was immediately.
  • Junkdrawer baited him with higher offers. If he just offered $1,625 don't you think Spectre would have rejected that offer. :makepoint: Junkdrawer waved lots of $$$ in front of him to see how he would respond.
  • Why would Junkdrawer really say he would pay $2,500 and that $1,900 was a fair offer? We both thought it was high and he TOLD me to offer $1,500. :makepoint:
  • You REALLY believe there is another buyer? Where are they? (shrug)

bridge-for-sale.png

You are CLEARLY missing the point and I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that you didn't read everything :wishluck: because the alternative is :sorry:

• Junkdrawer thought Spectre was full of mess and posted in the sales thread "whoever bought this book, please contact me and I'll buy it."
  • Spectre immediately unignored Junkdrawer and PMed him saying the book was still available. It wasn't hours later. It was immediately.
  • Junkdrawer baited him with higher offers. If he just offered $1,625 don't you think Spectre would have rejected that offer. :makepoint: Junkdrawer waved lots of $$$ in front of him to see how he would respond.
  • Why would Junkdrawer really say he would pay $2,500 and that $1,900 was a fair offer? We both thought it was high and he TOLD me to offer $1,500. :makepoint:

Thank you for the summary. Seems fair to think this is what happened.

BUT if its not what happened, there's ZERO incentive at this point for the 'real' buyer to step forward, certainly not while he's already paid AND hasn't gotten the book yet and everyone is ready to jump on someone.

I missed important pieces of that puzzle.

How long was it between when he made the offer to you and Junk saying in the thread he would buy the book from whoever? I don't know if there was another buyer but it doesn't mean there wasn't one. If this other buyer was PMing him during the time between you getting the offer and him saying it was sold why wouldn't he immediately be able to say the book was available if his buddy had backed out by then. I don't have the full time line in front of me but it does look at least feasible (all though not the most plausible).

bridge-for-sale.png

Thank you for the summary. Seems fair to think this is what happened.

BUT if its not what happened, there's ZERO incentive at this point for the 'real' buyer to step forward, certainly not while he's already paid AND hasn't gotten the book yet and everyone is ready to jump on someone.

Definetely doesn't sound like there ever was an exchange of money (unless Junk bought the book afterall) The maybe phantom buyer (friend) told him to cancel the purchase since it was too good a deal.

The most disturbing thing I've learned in this thread is that Swick hasn't turned off the right hand column thing in his preferences. doh!

:whee:

I'm not defending John, he's run a couple of people off the road on this journey. But do we need to be at the point of posting PMs here? Not sure there's been any disagreement as to your version of what happened.

Also not trying to defend, but I thought PMs could only be posted if both sides consented. I seem to recall people getting in trouble for this in the past.

Here is the entire transaction:

2qklaww.jpg

f9p7xk.jpg

I was "buying" the book for Junkdrawer. I've wanted a Harbinger #1 9.8 for awhile. He had JUST stated to me "Bat 12 is the only book in the thread I don't consider absolute junk."

He reduced the price of the BA12 by $300. I just figured I'd ASK if he would throw in a Harbinger #1 for $375 fee free as he considered them absolute junk. If he said no, no harm, no foul and I'd just :takeit: the BA12 for Chris.

That's when the BA12 was "sold". I didn't have a chance to accept it. Draw the conclusions that you will. I think the guy is all over the place and is so full of mess, he should have Roto-Rooter on speed dial.

With respect, Harvey, it seems that you didn't actually accept the deal for the lower price but began negotiating for a second book as part of a package.

The response that the first book had sold is a lie and poor way to reject your offer of a package deal. He could have simply rejected your counteroffer as it seems that you threw the ball back into his court.

As this is an emotionally charged situation, I apologize in advance for the bluntness of the above, if it comes across as a callous summary.

ok, so there was no "I'll take it". Then why are we even talking about this? No deal was struck, no offer accepted then reneged. Probably would have been better to just say 'no' on the new offer by Harvey without saying it was sold (if it wasn't).

But as we don't have firm evidence of any wrong doing by the seller (and I certainly don't think he should have to produce it), what are we talking about here? Maybe he told a white lie to Harvey, maybe he reneged on his phantom 'buyer (or the buyer reneged on him)'. But who can say for sure, and why do we even care as no one is worse off here? other than MAYBE the seller.

Edited by Revat