• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

bridge-for-sale.png

Junkdrawer did not offer $2,500.

Just because someone lists a book at a high price and someone offers something reasonable, that doesn't automatically turn the price into a "lowball offer". :makepoint:

Junk says"I did just notice the thread after it had sold. At one time I was looking to pay $2500 for one. I have never seen one, this is the first. The BIN price seemed fair." So he is willing to pay the $1,900. Guy offered you the book for $1,625 or something and you did not accept the offer but instead decided to go the combo deal route which to me was trying to lowball the situation. Why not just buy the book for Junk for $1,625 when he offered it or even $1,750 which was his first offer. Both were much lower then the amount Junk was willing to spend.

tumblr_mwqcvlgU2k1rh2tw8o1_400.gif

You are CLEARLY missing the point and I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that you didn't read everything :wishluck: because the alternative is :sorry:

• I PMed Spectre for Junkdrawer as Spectre had Junkdrawer on Ignore.
  • Spectre chased me with counteroffers after MY initial offer was rejected.
  • Spectre realized that he COULD get more for the book, not DID get more.
  • Spectre renegged on his own offer citing a lame "sold via PM"
  • Junkdrawer thought Spectre was full of mess and posted in the sales thread "whoever bought this book, please contact me and I'll buy it."
  • Spectre immediately unignored Junkdrawer and PMed him saying the book was still available. It wasn't hours later. It was immediately.
  • Junkdrawer baited him with higher offers. If he just offered $1,625 don't you think Spectre would have rejected that offer. :makepoint: Junkdrawer waved lots of $$$ in front of him to see how he would respond.
  • Why would Junkdrawer really say he would pay $2,500 and that $1,900 was a fair offer? We both thought it was high and he TOLD me to offer $1,500. :makepoint:
  • You REALLY believe there is another buyer? Where are they? (shrug)

Sounds to me like you guys were playing him.

Edited by Conan_Aficionado

ok, so there was no "I'll take it". Then why are we even talking about this? No deal was struck, no offer accepted then reneged. Probably would have been better to just say 'no' on the new offer by Harvey without saying it was sold (if it wasn't).

But as we don't have firm evidence of any wrong doing by the seller (and I certainly don't think he should have to produce it), what are we talking about here? Maybe he told a white lie to Harvey, maybe he reneged on his phantom 'buyer (or the buyer reneged on him)'. But who can say for sure, and why do we even care as no one is worse off here? other than MAYBE the seller.

Your definition of what's potentially a "white lie" is a really REALLY forgiving one.

I missed important pieces of that puzzle.

How long was it between when he made the offer to you and Junk saying in the thread he would buy the book from whoever? I don't know if there was another buyer but it doesn't mean there wasn't one. If this other buyer was PMing him during the time between you getting the offer and him saying it was sold why wouldn't he immediately be able to say the book was available if his buddy had backed out by then. I don't have the full time line in front of me but it does look at least feasible (all though not the most plausible).

Here is the entire transaction:

2qklaww.jpg

f9p7xk.jpg

If you don't want to read everything, you really shouldn't throw out opinions of what happened. 2c

4:10 PM - Books listed.

5:21 PM - Initial offer made.

5:46 PM - Counteroffer made. (no mention of other buyer)

6:05 PM - Second counteroffer made. (no mention of other buyer despite discussing the book for close to an hour)

6:46 PM - I ask if there is possibility for a package deal since he just said the read of his books in his thread were "absolute junk".

6:53 PM - "Sorry, book sold via PM" ;)

7:38 PM - Junkdrawer posts in the thread.

7:48 PM - Spectre PMs Junkdrawer and the book is still available. meh

ok, so there was no "I'll take it". Then why are we even talking about this? No deal was struck, no offer accepted then reneged. Probably would have been better to just say 'no' on the new offer by Harvey without saying it was sold (if it wasn't).

But as we don't have firm evidence of any wrong doing by the seller (and I certainly don't think he should have to produce it), what are we talking about here? Maybe he told a white lie to Harvey, maybe he reneged on his phantom 'buyer (or the buyer reneged on him)'. But who can say for sure, and why do we even care as no one is worse off here? other than MAYBE the seller.

Given how it looks, and the implications of how it looks, I think any person who wants to do business here would want to come and clear the air if there is something simple and honest behind what certainly looks bad.

:news: I don't think it was a "completed deal" and I'm not trying to still buy the book or I would be in the Probation Discussion thread and not the General Discussion thread. :news:

I just think it was a cowardly, weasel move on the part of Spectre. THAT is your business ethics and that is how you build a future customer relationship? He's acting like he is a noob who has one nice book for sale? It's sad.

He realized that he mispriced a book and instead of just eating it, losing out on this deal and winning in the future, he came up with this lame "book sold via PM".

He could have replied "I can't do $2,000 on the combo and now that I think about it, I really can't do the $1,625 on the BA12. It was a mistake on my part for not realizing it was a newsstand and I got caught up in the moment. I'm sorry and hope you can understand. I can sell you the newsstand if you'd like for $x,xxx or I can give you a great deal on the non-newsstand copy for $x,xxx. I hope you understand."

There would be NOTHING to complain about.

I'm not trying to force a deal that wasn't consummated. I just think people should know he is a liar and how he conducts his business here. So in the future maybe people don't even bother sending him a PM to negotiate. (shrug)

Your definition of what's potentially a "white lie" is a really REALLY forgiving one.

maybe, but at the same time I'd rather not publicly call someone out as a liar without more concrete evidence, which I think has been done here. (although I agree the circumstances look bad).

To me white lies are told when you basically didn't have to lie and you stupidly did anyways, but you've only really harmed yourself if you're found out.

Like you tell your gf you had a bagel for breakfast when you really had some cereal (but you're afraid your gf will think you eat too much cereal). No reason to lie, she's not harmed either way, but if she found out she'd wonder why you're a liar. At worst, I think that's happened here. Seller could have just said 'no' to counter offer, but for some dumb reason like tiring of negotiations, misguided pride or something (or he actually thought he'd sold it at the time) said 'sold'. No one was harmed in the telling of the lie. No contracts broken.

Like if you go to the butcher and rib eye is on sale. You go in, they say they're out. You buy something else, come back 10 minutes later because you forgot your sunglasses and they've got ribeye again, and he's selling it to a suuuuper hot chick. Did they just get a ribeye shipment in 10 minutes? Did he find some in an unexpected place? Was he holding it for a customer? Does it really matter what he tells you? Would you believe him?

I might ask him about it, but I don't think I'd call him a liar without proof (which he would be under no obligation to provide)

And I guess none of it really matters as someone pointed out, it's not affecting his sales. lol

Shame on me for thinking that people would care about who they buy their cool books from. A shady seller who has no problem lying to get out of a deal to squeeze a few extra $ out of one sale and seemingly has zero integrity or business ethics. :boo:

People can take away from this whatever they'd like. (shrug) I hope people can read between the lines of what transpired here. I spelled it out clearly with a timeline to help some.

I'm not wasting time in the Probation Discussion thread as it has nothing to do with a Probation worthy transaction. I just wanted to share here so in his future sales threads when you see "Sold via PM" maybe you hm for a second.

Like you tell your gf you had a bagel for breakfast when you really had some cereal (but you're afraid your gf will think you eat too much cereal). No reason to lie, she's not harmed either way, but if she found out she'd wonder why you're a liar.

Like if you go to the butcher and rib eye is on sale. You go in, they say they're out. You buy something else, come back 10 minutes later because you forgot your sunglasses and they've got ribeye again, and he's selling it to a suuuuper hot chick. Did they just get a ribeye shipment in 10 minutes? Did he find some in an unexpected place? Was he holding it for a customer? Does it really matter what he tells you? Would you believe him?

these sound a little too real if you ask me.

Great idea for a thread.

"White Lies you've told and got away with"

Heck it sounds like a show on the ID network

Like you tell your gf you had a bagel for breakfast when you really had some cereal (but you're afraid your gf will think you eat too much cereal). No reason to lie, she's not harmed either way, but if she found out she'd wonder why you're a liar.

these sound a little too real if you ask me.

Great idea for a thread.

"White Lies you've told and got away with"

Heck it sounds like a show on the ID network

I watch so much ID you wouldn't believe it. FYI 2/3 of the stories take place in FLORIDA

And I guess none of it really matters as someone pointed out, it's not affecting his sales. lol

Shame on me for thinking that people would care about who they buy their cool books from. A shady seller who has no problem lying to get out of a deal to squeeze a few extra $ out of one sale and seemingly has zero integrity or business ethics. :boo:

People can take away from this whatever they'd like. (shrug) I hope people can read between the lines of what transpired here. I spelled it out clearly with a timeline to help some.

I'm not wasting time in the Probation Discussion thread as it has nothing to do with a Probation worthy transaction. I just wanted to share here so in his future sales threads when you see "Sold via PM" maybe you hm for a second.

That's the whole point of Cool Books, duh.

maybe, but at the same time I'd rather not publicly call someone out as a liar without more concrete evidence, which I think has been done here. (although I agree the circumstances look bad).

To me white lies are told when you basically didn't have to lie and you stupidly did anyways, but you've only really harmed yourself if you're found out.

Like you tell your gf you had a bagel for breakfast when you really had some cereal (but you're afraid your gf will think you eat too much cereal). No reason to lie, she's not harmed either way, but if she found out she'd wonder why you're a liar. At worst, I think that's happened here. Seller could have just said 'no' to counter offer, but for some dumb reason like tiring of negotiations, misguided pride or something (or he actually thought he'd sold it at the time) said 'sold'. No one was harmed in the telling of the lie. No contracts broken.

I might ask him about it, but I don't think I'd call him a liar without proof (which he would be under no obligation to provide)

I tend to draw the line of what's a white lie between 1) someone lying to someone to not hurt their feelings or avoid a fight and 2) lying during negotiations in a business deal with more than a $1,000 at issue.

If he felt he was selling it too low and lies to not sell it he's getting a material benefit through the lie.

How does your bagel analogy work if you're going in to buy a new car and you go in to pick it up and the salesman tells you "sorry it's already sold" and as you are walking out you see him offering the exact vehicle to someone else for a 20% markup on what you were going to pay?

Still no one hurt? Still bagel-esque? lol

But in this case the lie wasn't necessary from a money angle. He could have simply just pulled the offer. He didn't have to say why he pulled the offer.

A. Sorry. Book has been sold.

B. Sorry, I'm pulling my previous offer.

Same result. As long as he pulled the offer before it was accepted he was certainly within his rights to pull it.

Of course this doesn't mean people want to do business with someone who is lying.

4:10 PM - Books listed.

5:21 PM - Initial offer made.

5:46 PM - Counteroffer made. (no mention of other buyer)

6:05 PM - Second counteroffer made. (no mention of other buyer despite discussing the book for close to an hour)

6:46 PM - I ask if there is possibility for a package deal since he just said the read of his books in his thread were "absolute junk".

6:53 PM - "Sorry, book sold via PM" ;)

7:38 PM - Junkdrawer posts in the thread.

7:48 PM - Spectre PMs Junkdrawer and the book is still available. meh

Using this timeline and according to your PM in the spoiler tag, at 5:46 he already knew that newsstand copies were tough to find. He said it himself in the PM.

If he knew that they were tough to find, then he was able to differentiate between them before the book was no longer available.

Also, I have personally passed on deals on this chat forum (both publicly and privately) because someone else wanted the book, or because someone realized I was buying it too cheap and it was someone who I did a lot of business with and didn't mind leaving the extra coin in the seller's pocket. I've also passed on purchases so that others can make money on them. It happens.

Is there any proof that there wasn't another buyer or is everyone just assuming it was a lie?

From what I'm reading, right now both outcomes are possible.