• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

hm Maybe Swick keeps a dosier on everyone and their likes. He is like the Hoover of CGC! :o

:D

I was going to ask him which Hoover he meant the one that wore a dress or the one that sucks. hm

Waiting for him to go from suck to blow

I don't get it. Book offered at $1900 which interested buyer says he thinks was a fair price. Interested buyer offers $1500. Book sold to somebody else. Why lowball like that if you felt it was a fair price to begin with?

The other part about trying to resell it does seem shady though...

Book for sale at $1,900.

I offered $1,500 which I thought was a fair offer.

Seller counters with $1,625 and most likely regrets his own offer and creates a false "sold via PM" to get out of the offer.

The book didn't sell! The seller just didn't want to go through with his own offer. This isn't difficult to understand.

And I don't get the last part "why lowball like that if you felt it was a fair price to begin with." I didn't think it was a fair price, that's why I offered what was a fair price. :D I've long thought that SOT/Spectre's prices are :screwy: I just figured I'd try to work out a deal with him. Lesson learned as he doesn't honor deals.

My favorite part was taking Junkdrawer OFF of ignore when he saw that Junk might pay over asking price and PM'd him to try and make it happen. lol

The book was, suddenly, back up for sale.

Considering a seller can rescind an offer at any time, for any reason, I have one question to ask.

Harvey, was the $1625 offer accepted by you or JD?

Considering a seller can rescind an offer at any time, for any reason, I have one question to ask.

Pay for the book yet, dork? I get 2/3rd so it's my duty to ensure that it gets paid.

xoxo

greggy

I don't get it. Book offered at $1900 which interested buyer says he thinks was a fair price. Interested buyer offers $1500. Book sold to somebody else. Why lowball like that if you felt it was a fair price to begin with?

The other part about trying to resell it does seem shady though...

Book for sale at $1,900.

I offered $1,500 which I thought was a fair offer.

Seller counters with $1,625 and most likely regrets his own offer and creates a false "sold via PM" to get out of the offer.

The book didn't sell! The seller just didn't want to go through with his own offer. This isn't difficult to understand.

And I don't get the last part "why lowball like that if you felt it was a fair price to begin with." I didn't think it was a fair price, that's why I offered what was a fair price. :D I've long thought that SOT/Spectre's prices are :screwy: I just figured I'd try to work out a deal with him. Lesson learned as he doesn't honor deals.

My favorite part was taking Junkdrawer OFF of ignore when he saw that Junk might pay over asking price and PM'd him to try and make it happen. lol

The book was, suddenly, back up for sale.

Junkdrawer called it when I told him that the book had sold via PM. He knew Spectre was full of mess and that Spectre just didn't want to go through with the lower offer (that HE had offered) so he made up a bogus sale to get out of it. I was just going to watch for a relist of the book in the future, but he's so :insane: he could't help but get the extra $ now and took Junkdrawer's bait in the thread. Of course the book was still available...at a higher price. :facepalm:

I'm so gullible, I was giving Spectre the benefit of the doubt that maybe he really did have a sale. Just another to add to the list of people I'd rather burn my money than give a dollar to him. He really doesn't care to build future relationships and he treats every sale as his last sale.

He offered the book for $1625 and then told me it was sold before I COULD accept the offer.

No. Now I'm going to stall until after your birthday.

Suck it,

Transplant

He should have never moved on the price.

Suck it,

Transplant

He should never had partnered with you. Or at least cut you in for far less.

He offered the book for $1625 and then told me it was sold before I COULD accept the offer.

Ok. Telling you it was sold was dumb, imho. It wasn't necessary. He could've just said I'm rescinding the offer or I've decided to hold onto it for now. Anything that conveys the offer was no longer valid and ready for acceptance would have worked.

But it's not like you tried to accept and he said it was already sold via PM.

Either way, I'm not saying I'd like it if I was in your spot. I just don't think he was obligated to keep the offer open.

Personally, I've undersold books a bunch of times. I've followed through on every single one of them. That's the burden I carry as a seller to know what I am selling, price accordingly, and always follow through.

Agreed. I think I have as well, don't remember for sure. That said, while it could've been done in a better way, the end result was the same.

Ok. Telling you it was sold was dumb, imho. It wasn't necessary. He could've just said I'm rescinding the offer or I've decided to hold onto it for now. Anything that conveys the offer was no longer valid and ready for acceptance would have worked.

But it's not like you tried to accept and he said it was already sold via PM.

Either way, I'm not saying I'd like it if I was in your spot. I just don't think he was obligated to keep the offer open.

I agree none of it was necessary. He had no obligation to hold the offer open or sell at all before someone claimed it.

However, I don't think telling him it was sold was just dumb.

There's something to learn from how much or how little money it takes for people to throw honest interaction out the window.

Suck it,

Transplant

He should never had partnered with you. Or at least cut you in for far less.
Considering that he was busy getting his lame Del Torro sigs while I was available to buy the books, he's lucky that I allowed him on the deal. :P

Personally, I've undersold books a bunch of times. I've followed through on every single one of them. That's the burden I carry as a seller to know what I am selling, price accordingly, and always follow through.

Agreed. I think I have as well, don't remember for sure. That said, while it could've been done in a better way, the end result was the same.

Sometimes it's not the destination but how many people you ran off the road while getting there.

Here is the entire transaction:

2qklaww.jpg

f9p7xk.jpg

I was "buying" the book for Junkdrawer. I've wanted a Harbinger #1 9.8 for awhile. He had JUST stated to me "Bat 12 is the only book in the thread I don't consider absolute junk."

He reduced the price of the BA12 by $300. I just figured I'd ASK if he would throw in a Harbinger #1 for $375 fee free as he considered them absolute junk. If he said no, no harm, no foul and I'd just :takeit: the BA12 for Chris.

That's when the BA12 was "sold". I didn't have a chance to accept it. Draw the conclusions that you will. I think the guy is all over the place and is so full of mess, he should have Roto-Rooter on speed dial.

I am pretty sure John new from the outset that it was a newsstand copy, so I don't think he didn't know what he was selling.

This is the funny thing - I don't think he DID! He is all over the place. lol

He doesn't differentiate the two books in his sales thread.

I (stupidly) should have made an offer for "the copy on the right", but I said newsstand copy doh! .

You can see his very first response is that newsstands are tough to find! When I was told the book sold for a premium as it was a newsstand, I asked him what he would do on the other copy (I wanted a copy) and he offered it for $25 less saying he doesn't understand why newsstands go for more and doesn't think they should. :insane:

But after this all came out, he is telling me in PM that he didn't know newsstands demanded a premium.

:juggle:

I'm not defending John, he's run a couple of people off the road on this journey. But do we need to be at the point of posting PMs here? Not sure there's been any disagreement as to your version of what happened.

Well, you sort of were defending him. You said the offer was rescinded before I accepted so I really don't have anything to complain about. I just figured I'd post everything candidly so there was no confusion. I didn't strong arm an offer out of him. I was happy to walk away and end discussions at a rejection of $1,500 and he kept :baiting: me about how cool the book was.

I never even moved from $1,500 and just thought I was being friendly and polite with my responses to him. He was the one that continued down Negotiation Road and threw out an offer he didn't want to honor.

Do I think the "book was sold via PM" is a recension of the offer? Yes.

Were there a plethora of other, better ways to do it? Absolutely.

I would be peeved if someone lied to me like this when we're working on a deal. I'm done doing anything resembling defending John in this. He can fight his own battles.